What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freeze yout tomato paste in ice cube trays, then tip the cubes into a freezer bag and store in the freezer.
Ooh, I like that. (But I like the tubes more.)

I decided against going to a rocket launch tomorrow. Just not quite got my head in the game yet. There is another next weekend. Maybe…
I'm about to commit a heinous act of hypocrisy. No one has any business telling you what you should do or what will be good for you, but you should go to the launch next week because it will be good for you. Please.
But of course that is mean. No one should feel anything other than me.
OK, here's hypocritical act number two. No one should invalidate what you feel, but that statement above is BS. Yes, it would be mean and unprofessional to bring everyone else down (intentionally or not) or to try to (successfully or not) but it is total BS to say that no one else at work should feel anything about your loss. If they care about you, even a little as is normal for coworkers, then they'll want to know of something so important, and they'll feel bad for you, and that's as it should be. It's no different from a bunch of online acquaintances from some online hobby forum.

Last edited:
I took the 2 grandkids to the pool. It was too cold for the oldest one, the 5 year old insisted he had to have goggles on, which were not in the bag :eek:

I'm a 72 year old single guy living alone. I got divorced about 10 years ago. One of the things I bought a number of years ago was a Seal-a-Meal Manual vacuum sealer. It really helps keep food fresher and is great for freezing things.
I have TWO yes two, Foodsavers. Did I mention my lovely girl could never but ONE of anything? Especially on sale? Three if you count the one that I have not figured out yet but is vertical and I think seals the hard plastic reusable bowls.

Kim made the BEST sloppy joe meat/mix. A variation on Guy Fieary's (sp?) recipe. Just made it her own. I have a few pound still frozen from the last batch she'll ever make (oh f'in God here we go)... She put them in aluminum foil pans with tops and I sealed and dated them...

Now I can't bring myself to eat one... as there is no more coming...

Had a awesome day.

1) went for 101 mile bike ride , middle 60 was group A-ride. Pace lining with 12-15 strong riders is good times...we were doing 23 mph into the wind and 33 mph with the wind.
2) then wife wanted to take a bike ride, and I never say no when someone in house wants to ride bikes, so 19 more miles round trip to a pie shop (I needed calories at this point, badly).
3) dinner date because both kids went to friend's houses for the afternoon, and you gotta grab your chances when you can.

Ooh, I like that. (But I like the tubes more.)

I'm about to commit a heinous act of hypocrisy. No one has any business telling you what you should do or what will be good for you, but you should go to the launch next week because it will be good for you. Please.
Yes yes... except during the last few years, when she could not attend with me, she'd always ask, "How was it?" And I always answered "More fun than a barrel of kitties!" Then she'd say. "Let me know when the pictures are ready!"

OK, here's hypocritical act number two. No one should invalidate what you feel, but that statement above is BS. Yes, it would be mean and unprofessional to bring everyone else down (intentionally or not) or to try to (successfully or not) but it is total BS to say that no one else at work should feel anything about your loss. If they care about you, even a little as is normal for coworkers, then they'll want to know of something so important, and they'll feel bad for you, and that's as it should be. It's no different from a bunch of online acquaintances from some online hobby forum.

Maybe. But you all are far more my generation (well most of you) than the 20 and 30 somethings that permeate my company. The company is wonderful. But I was married longer than some of them have been alive. And just because I am drowning does not mean I should take them with me. I know some of them care. But when a company goes from 120 to 420 people in 18 months, impersonal becomes a norm.

I'll figure it out. Or so I say. But your message is welcome even if not blowing smoke up my you-know-what. If I wanted that, well, you know. So thanks

I have TWO yes two, Foodsavers. Did I mention my lovely girl could never but ONE of anything? Especially on sale? Three if you count the one that I have not figured out yet but is vertical and I think seals the hard plastic reusable bowls.

Kim made the BEST sloppy joe meat/mix. A variation on Guy Fieary's (sp?) recipe. Just made it her own. I have a few pound still frozen from the last batch she'll ever make (oh f'in God here we go)... She put them in aluminum foil pans with tops and I sealed and dated them...

Now I can't bring myself to eat one... as there is no more coming...

In my opinion, the food was made with love and letting it eventually spoil/freezer burn would be an addition to the loss you're going through. Enjoying the taste, even through the highs and lows it will bring may be a better option. Again, my opinion only.

Stay strong.

So Day 27.

I guess I'll keep this one short. At 6am when I should have gotten up, kissed her, and gone to a rocket launch 2 hours away, I did no such thing. Either of them. So two hours later, when I woke up and thought to myself, "You'd be getting there right about now", I was even madder at myself. And then I was feeling sorry for myself. And then sad. And then... well you know... I've said it all before.

I went and walked on the beach. A gray day again (marine layer). Perfect for me. I recorded nothing. Just asked all the questions I have been asking for 6 weeks now. Not getting any answers yet.

Came home and found a lien notice from the state tax people. So I went online and setup a monthly payment plan. Notified another company online that Kim Leanne had no estate and her account should be closed. Another wet moment. A bunch more of those to come. For years I guess. Just not as frequent.

Worked on finishing two rockets. But that is another thread.

Ok, please indulge my hypocrisy... In recent times, one cousin lost her dad. My friend of 50 years lost her dad. Both after long ilnesses. GF lost her grand neice, goddamn fentanyl, too young.

The hospital offers grief counseling, free, weekly sessions. My cousin is doing that. States of CA and OH medicare also offer grief services. My friend is doing that. The local interdenominational center offers a weekend grief retreat. GF and family are doing that in a few weeks.

My hypocrisy is saying but not doing...

Started some repairs to a resin picture I've had for 10years from local artist Trevor Platt (RIP) whom I met when I first moved to Brisbane.
The corners especially were delaminating from the canvas surface and starting to break up. Edges, where the original resin top coat was thinnest, was also starting to show crazing. Taking a fair while for the resin to go off in the current cold weather ( 8 degreesC overnight!).

Bought some Protite epoxy resin pigments and mixed to the approximate the colours of the damaged sections. It may even need a full clear coat pour of resin later on as its developing a bit of a raised cellular pattern, particularly evident in the blue section and now its horizontal on the bench.

IMG_0715[32523].jpg

IMG_0717[32527].jpgIMG_0718[32529].jpgIMG_0716[32525].jpgIMG_0720.jpg

Printing replacement extruder parts for a 3D printer that [I think] has cooked itself after a couple of years of use. It has not been keeping 1st level calibration and last time this happened to a different printer it seemed that the PINDA holder was deformed a bit. Anyway, hope this fixes the issues.

Replaced a fan on another 3D printer (after accidentally putting a hex wrench into the old fan when it was on - never try to tighten things when fans are on).

Setup a thermal printer for printing mailing labels (I was getting tired of taping shipping labels to boxes). I went with this one which seems to have very good quality in the handful of tests prints I just did. Also hoping I can print range-box stickers on it.

1684640503741.png

Printing replacement extruder parts for a 3D printer that [I think] has cooked itself after a couple of years of use. It has not been keeping 1st level calibration and last time this happened to a different printer it seemed that the PINDA holder was deformed a bit. Anyway, hope this fixes the issues.

Replaced a fan on another 3D printer (after accidentally putting a hex wrench into the old fan when it was on - never try to tighten things when fans are on).

Setup a thermal printer for printing mailing labels (I was getting tired of taping shipping labels to boxes). I went with this one which seems to have very good quality in the handful of tests prints I just did. Also hoping I can print range-box stickers on it.

View attachment 581720

Very interested in your thoughts on the thermal printer. I too am tired of printing, cutting and taping shipping labels. . .

Slept half the day away. Couldn't get to sleep last night. Finally went to sleep about 7am. Got up at 3pm. Missed a doctors appointment. Didn't want to take a pill that late in the day so I have struggled to stay awake. Felt better about 8pm. Changed the bandages on my cuts. My wife said I'm going to have a hell of a scar on my elbow. I have to agree with her. Played with the cats. We have a large piece of indoor/outdoor carpet. It's piled on top of the car cover the Mustang is under. The cats love playing in it. They get inside of it, under it, make caves. Just a barrel of monkeys. So not much again today.

I have an Ender 3 v2 and bought a CR Touch auto bed leveler. I installed it yesterday and calibrated it. Once calibrated it works very well. I hope it continues to function well as I hate the manual bed leveling process.

Hilarious. I can't even count correctly.
I have an Ender 3 v2 and bought a CR Touch auto bed leveler. I installed it yesterday and calibrated it. Once calibrated it works very well. I hope it continues to function well as I hate the manual bed leveling process.
Weird I have NEVER gotten the CR touch to make any difference. I always windup using 20# bond paper.

Day 32

Hilarious. I can’t even COUNT correctly. She left me on April 19th. It’s May 21st. Guess I’ll keep posting until A) I don’t want to, B) I don’t need to, C) I am told to stop this. Today… today I donated a bunch of things that were on racks in the garage. I want to take the racks down eventually. Well most of them. That way I can fit in some stuff from storage and cut that expense out of my budget.

I notice that I wander. I mean I can’t focus. I am told, again, this is normal. I say “I need to do X, then Y, then Z.” I start X, then something diverts me. Easily diverts me. I start Y instead, and then remember I was working on X. Back to X and then something draws me away again. So I head to do Z. And I almost start and then “Oh, wait, I was working on X.” This repeats over and over. I am not really upset about it, just annoyed.

Went to the grocery store. And balled when I got back in the car because Kim always sent me with a list. I had no list. I have yet to start cooking for myself. Unless you call making bagels with store made chicken salad and horseradish cheddar cheese, cooking. I get there, get in the store, and realize, “You Nimrod!” You need a shopping list of ingredients if you are going to COOK something. Live and learn.

So I came home with… wait for it… bagels, chicken salad, and horseradish cheddar. Well at least I won’t starve.

Did nothing else. Clearing that one stainless steel restaurant rack, so it can be disassembled, was good. She has 5 boxes of LPs on another. They have to go. Then the astronomy stuff in the living rooms can go on that rack.

I bought some hotshot conductive dip from Quickburst. So I gave it a try. While is works WAY better than the other Conductive Dip I bought from QB (which never worked for me), it is still hit and miss. Some starters are under 6 ohms. Many are over 15. Same wire. Dipped at the same time. Dunno. :questions:

One foot in front of the other. 😭😥

Bottled again today. Pear wine this time. The bear is the background is my elder boy.
Weather was awesome, and it was a launch day - but work had to get done. Got to sell hooch to buy motors. Got to bottle it to sell it.
Still, I was sad.
CBEE09BB-4797-4FBC-918E-91A44E9AD25E.jpeg

Bottled again today. Pear wine this time. The bear is the background is my elder boy.
Weather was awesome, and it was a launch day - but work had to get done. Got to sell hooch to buy motors. Got to bottle it to sell it.
Still, I was sad.
View attachment 581853
With the right threads he might pass for Amish....

Back