What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked in the barn the last 3 days refurbishing our 5 ft x 10 ft tilt bed utility trailer. We've owned it for about 29 years, and it was getting some surface rust. It's been a true work horse for us, and it was due for some TLC.

I sanded the surface rust off with my angle grinder, and then used some Rustoleum oil base gloss red paint. I've had really good luck with this Rustoleum paint for exterior projects like hammock stands, etc.

Also fixed a reoccurring taillight issue. There was no ground strap going from the tongue to the tilting section. The manufacturer thought the ground would pass through the bolted connection, which it did until things got rusty and crusty. I added a grounding strap and like magic all the lights work again. Of course, it took about an hour of checking bulbs and the wiring harness to figure out that was the issue.

We've had afternoon rains here due to it being monsoon season. There's nothing quite like being in a metal roofed pole barn in the rain. Therapy for the soul.

001.JPG001.JPG

Last edited:
Soaked 4 hours in a nice deep tub full of epsom salts w/8oz peanut butter whiskey on the rocks, Read a hilarious book, had Pandora streaming while I noodled away at the skeleton of tech manual I'm writing. Boss bought me a new iPad as a bribe. So, fed and watered my soul, chewed some mental bubble gum, sarcastically trolled some bots on Quora and basically walked my parakeet around the block a few times. Life is GOOD!

Attachments

• D1AB925D-71E0-4C9D-A672-DC3C07E0992E.jpeg
    D1AB925D-71E0-4C9D-A672-DC3C07E0992E.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
Soaked 4 hours in a nice deep tub full of epsom salts w/8oz peanut butter whiskey on the rocks, Read a hilarious book, had Pandora streaming while I noodled away at the skeleton of tech manual I'm writing. Boss bought me a new iPad as a bribe. So, fed and watered my soul, chewed some mental bubble gum, sarcastically trolled some bots on Quora and basically walked my parakeet around the block a few times. Life is GOOD!
How do you keep the water hot for 4 hours :questions:

My wife and the neighbor guy went to the garage of the guy who lives above me and got the 2 plastic shelving units he gave us. We had to clean lots of cobwebs off of them but got them into my garage finally. He then got a ladder and brought down the few items I had in the attic. Everyday bringing more things from the garage to the condo. We gave the guy who helped us my tool cart, it's one less thing to sell.

Voted. Ballots were mailed Wednesday and arrived yesterday. The voter’s pamphlet arrived today. Did research on the one race that I wasn’t sure about, filled out the ballot, and it goes into the mail again this afternoon. Next week, I’ll check to make sure the elections department has it in hand and has verified my signature.

started on measuring the foam board that's 43x78 so that I could cut it down to 34x57 for the cloth F1 racing picture. I'll post a picture when I'm done.

Worked in the barn the last 3 days refurbishing our 5 ft x 10 ft tilt bed utility trailer. We've owned it for about 29 years, and it was getting some surface rust. It's been a true work horse for us, and it was due for some TLC.

I sanded the surface rust off with my angle grinder, and then used some Rustoleum oil base gloss red paint. I've had really good luck with this Rustoleum paint for exterior projects like hammock stands, etc.

Also fixed a reoccurring taillight issue. There was no ground strap going from the tongue to the tilting section. The manufacturer thought the ground would pass through the bolted connection, which it did until things got rusty and crusty. I added a grounding strap and like magic all the lights work again. Of course, it took about an hour of checking bulbs and the wiring harness to figure out that was the issue.

We've had afternoon rains here due to it being monsoon season. There's nothing quite like being in a metal roofed pole barn in the rain. Therapy for the soul.

View attachment 527951View attachment 527948
Being a garage junkie all my life, I'm the most jealous person in the world of your place.

Toured a history museum today and found this. No label as to what it is, but it was in a WW1 memorabilia section. Hmmm.... my SBR Bomb needs a little friend. Although this woud be it's grandfather.

2022.07.16 - Bandera history museum  (2).jpg

Learned a fact about Australian History…

The Great Emu War​

In 1932 emus were running amok in the farmlands of Campion, WA so the Australian military were called in to ‘manage the situation’… with machine guns. One month and 10,000 rounds later, the crestfallen field force of humans withdrew from combat having only knocked off only 986 of the 20,000 bullet-dodging feathered heroes. Emus won the war. Lest we forget.

Learned a fact about Australian History…

The Great Emu War​

In 1932 emus were running amok in the farmlands of Campion, WA so the Australian military were called in to ‘manage the situation’… with machine guns. One month and 10,000 rounds later, the crestfallen field force of humans withdrew from combat having only knocked off only 986 of the 20,000 bullet-dodging feathered heroes. Emus won the war. Lest we forget.
Hmmmm. Battle Emus as a weapon strategy.....

How do you keep the water hot for 4 hours :questions:
Easy, you start with 1/3 steaming clam bake temp water, let cool to pre lava stage, add more cooking juices and stir. After a suitable period of time, the whiskey opens all your pores and capillaries. You can adjust the ratio of whiskey to hot water by practice without either getting boiled or smashed. I use my own built in candy thermometer. Go read that scale on yer own time. I'm an expert with plenty of experience. Kids, don't do this at home. Let a Hotel pay the water bill. Yer parents will thank you.

Attachments

• EF6E6889-F17C-4B1E-AAD5-DAEED7268B45.jpeg
    EF6E6889-F17C-4B1E-AAD5-DAEED7268B45.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 0
Maybe this should go in the "Recovery" subforum...

Got back home today. Went into the hospital on the 6th. Big toe on right foot got infected. It went really bad in a hurry. Had to have a trans-metatarsal amputation. Non-weight bearing on the foot for at least two weeks. Not a fun time. I had an IV in each arm, plus blood pressure monitor on one arm, and pulse/oxy on the other hand. Wired, then wireless heart monitor. Made going to the bathroom a challenge! At least the two IV pumps were on the same pole. I'm several pints low from all the blood they took for tests. The tips of all my fingers are beat up from the sticks to test blood sugar. I'm supposed to be using a walker, but it won't fit most places in the house, so I try to get around on crutches. I've got a family reunion starting the 28th south of Ft. Worth. No way I'm going to miss that. There are several important family members that might not make the next one (heck, *I* might not make the next one!). I lost about 30 pounds over that 10 day period. I do NOT reccomend this as a weight loss program! Hopefully I'll be able to make it to Airfest.

Got back home today. Went into the hospital on the 6th. Big toe on right foot got infected. It went really bad in a hurry. Had to have a trans-metatarsal amputation. Non-weight bearing on the foot for at least two weeks. Not a fun time. I had an IV in each arm, plus blood pressure monitor on one arm, and pulse/oxy on the other hand. Wired, then wireless heart monitor. Made going to the bathroom a challenge! At least the two IV pumps were on the same pole. I'm several pints low from all the blood they took for tests. The tips of all my fingers are beat up from the sticks to test blood sugar. I'm supposed to be using a walker, but it won't fit most places in the house, so I try to get around on crutches. I've got a family reunion starting the 28th south of Ft. Worth. No way I'm going to miss that. There are several important family members that might not make the next one (heck, *I* might not make the next one!). I lost about 30 pounds over that 10 day period. I do NOT reccomend this as a weight loss program! Hopefully I'll be able to make it to Airfest.
WOW 😱

View attachment 527951View attachment 527948
Ooh! You have a lift. I'm envious!

got up at 2:30 am and went to the garage and marked the big foam board where it needs to be cut down to for my F1 cloth picture. I'll wait till later before running the saw.

Sold my nice Sakura scroll saw 🤬 , gave my Craftsman rolling tool cart to my upstairs neighbor who is always helping us out, so both of those are out of the garage now.

Arrived in Barcelona. Unfortunately, when I opened up my phone to check the Smart tag on my bike box I found out it was STILL AT THE GATE IN TX. It got to the area outside the plane 2 h before I took off, and no one actually put it on the plane. Still sitting there too, even 6h after I reported it to the airline and showed the agent a picture of it and where it is on the map. :mad:

On a related note, Samsung Smart tags (and I would assume Apple airtags) are amazingly effective, cheap luggage tracking.

I put a new armrest/center console on the MG. The old one had a tear in it.

qGDs346h.jpg

Of course the new one had no markings or screw holes on it. I figured it out and it fits/looks nice!

Of all of that, the part that most makes me go "WOW" is dropping 30 pounds in ten days. With that rate of weight loss it's a darn good thing you were in a hospital being monitored!

Anyway, today I bid a final adieu to a 15 year old Samsung tablet. The battery had swollen enough to start splitting the case and I feared to plug it in and charge it. How you dispose of swollen lithium ion cells that could burst and possibly flame at any random moment? I drove a nail through them at a controlled and chosen moment.

We moved the 2 plastic shelving units that our upstairs neighbor gave us into the outdoor patio closet, then after getting up at 2:30 am, I took a nap this afternoon.:)

Last edited:
Went here this weekend... As kitsch as you would expect... Cool aspect is kids can feed the animals (including pigs, goats, monkeys, tortoises, monitor lizards, cane toads, etc...)

1658109008182.png 1658109037956.png 1658109146554.png

Back