What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a bike ride, and had a bit of a spill. Not seriously hurt, just some scraped up bits, and dented pride. Fortunately, I was stopping when everything went wrong. A guy who was almost stopped in one turn lane made an abrupt shift into my turn lane (as it was shorter) leaving me about 15 ft less stopping distance than I was planning on, so I found out how well my hydraulic disk brakes work, which is REALLY WELL. As the back tire started to come up I decided the best course was a semi-controlled ditching. Bike suffered only a scraped brake lever, as I decided to put it down on the non-drivetrain side…also, my non-collarbone plate side.

In the end it isn’t all the guy’s fault. I would have maybe had (just) enough time to react, but I was distracted as it had just started raining and I was gassed from a interval section. Although what he did certainly wasn’t good share the road behavior, I wasn’t as engaged as I should have been…lesson learned with little cost.

This morning I assembled two weeks' worth of pills (14 each morning, 6 each evening, 280 total) into the pill dispenser. As I was pressing the lids closed on one part, the dispenser flipped, dumping most of the pills onto the counter (and a few onto the floor). 🤬 Took a little while to get them back into the dispenser.

To take 14 pills each morning is easy, you just have to learn to gulp seven at a time.:)

Went to a Verizon presentation at the condo clubhouse. It will cut our internet cost in half hopefully as living on SS Income sucks.

Weekend away. Drove up to Kooyoona State Park for a small amount of bushwalking
y1.jpg

y2.jpg

Attended an Elvis exhibition featuring many items from Graceland and his collection
E1.jpg

e2.jpg
Original check, keys and mailbox from Graceland
e3.jpg
GracelandMailbox.jpg

ElvisAndNixon.jpg
e4.jpg
Stopped at Organ Pipes National Park on the way home for a bit more bush walking
op1.jpg

Somehow I don't think that looks like northeast Indiana. Am I wrong?
I'm guessing eastern slopes of the Rockies or possibly eastern slopes of the Cascades. Lots of pines (including a disease-killed tree), a few deciduous trees, and a bit of snow at higher elevation.

Probably
I'm guessing eastern slopes of the Rockies or possibly eastern slopes of the Cascades. Lots of pines (including a disease-killed tree), a few deciduous trees, and a bit of snow at higher elevation.

Probably CO if I was hazarding a guess.

Somehow I don't think that looks like northeast Indiana. Am I wrong?

Probably

Probably CO if I was hazarding a guess.

Eastern slopes of the Rockies is right. We have a cabin outside of Estes Park for the week. We have spent several vacations visiting family in the Smokies and thought we would come out here this year.

Rescued a stray kitten. It was wedged between the bed and (I think) the catalytic converter in a broken-down truck across the street. I could hear it squeaking from our house. Took a while to track her down and finally managed to work her out. She's resting and complaining in the downstairs bathroom, where she'll stay for a while (Dale, the gray tabby, doesn't get along with other cats all that well). Vet appointment tomorrow morning.

I don't want to keep her but taking her to the animal shelter is pretty much a death sentence, especially at this time of year with the inevitable kitten population explosion. We'll see if we can adopt her out.

Rescued a stray kitten. It was wedged between the bed and (I think) the catalytic converter in a broken-down truck across the street. I could hear it squeaking from our house. Took a while to track her down and finally managed to work her out. She's resting and complaining in the downstairs bathroom, where she'll stay for a while (Dale, the gray tabby, doesn't get along with other cats all that well). Vet appointment tomorrow morning.

I don't want to keep her but taking her to the animal shelter is pretty much a death sentence, especially at this time of year with the inevitable kitten population explosion. We'll see if we can adopt her out.
Thank you.
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Went to a post surgery foot doctor's appointment and got that football sized bandage off and down to a normal one that I can actually put my sock on again.

First commute to work by bicycle since late 2019. Built a brand new dream commuter bike right as COVID hit and have been 100% at home until recently (now in the office two days per week). Felt good to ride the route and the bike is superb. Just under 36 miles round trip. The "new" bike is a Soma Wolverine with an Alfine 11 internal gear hub, dynamo front hub and Gates belt drive. Smooth and silent.

IMG_20220524_052652756.jpgIMG_20220524_060640414_HDR.jpg

First commute to work by bicycle since late 2019. Built a brand new dream commuter bike right as COVID hit and have been 100% at home until recently (now in the office two days per week). Felt good to ride the route and the bike is superb. Just under 36 miles round trip. The "new" bike is a Soma Wolverine with an Alfine 11 internal gear hub, dynamo front hub and Gates belt drive. Smooth and silent.

View attachment 520098View attachment 520099
Pop on to youtube and find the episode of the lockpickinglawyer to find out how long it takes to open that bike lock.

Pop on to youtube and find the episode of the lockpickinglawyer to find out how long it takes to open that bike lock.

Yeah, they're weak. I forgot to drag a new and better one with me and the tumbler on my u-lock was siezed from sitting there for two years! Luckily the office is in a quiet area and the racks are constantly watched on camera by security.

Very cool and glad it works for you. I like the concept, but around here I feel sketchy in my truck and sold my motorcycle due to idiots on the road. I have one more, but not going to post it as it is very sad. I'm glad you are in an area where riding is practical. Then again 36 miles, I'm not likely to do that even in a utopia!!! Good for you and your health as well!!!

The bicycle is an under-appreciated invention for sure.

Sandy.

Yeah, they're weak. I forgot to drag a new and better one with me and the tumbler on my u-lock was siezed from sitting there for two years! Luckily the office is in a quiet area and the racks are constantly watched on camera by security.
All security is an illusion. And I installed it for governments.
Good lighting, noisey gravel and a big dog.
CCTV just gives you a picture of who put the dog poo in your bin after the event..

Oooh, internal gear hub...swanky. Very nice ride.

That would be about my round trip too, but there is no way to do it safely as I have to basically cross North Dallas to get to work...I guess I could do it at 100 miles each way, but that is a little much for commuting.

Back