What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought new Michelin Defenders for the 2010 RAV4, and had new rotors installed. Also wanted a front-end alignment but the shop said they couldn't do it, something about a recall of linkages(?); Toyota hasn't figured out what to do yet. :(

Had the family over to MIL’s house for a working bee. BBQ, good company and many beers. Heading back to the farm, and a huge backlog of work, tomorrow. 🤠

In the Southeastern portion of the US, if someone says I'm going to BBQ, it typically means meat smoked for many hours (pork, chicken, beef, etc). If people say I'm going to have a cookout or I'm grilling tonight, it means high heat outdoors with hotdogs, burgers, steak, fish, chicken, pork etc. In other parts of the US, BBQ means the same thing as grilling or doing a cookout.

I'm curious what a typical BBQ would include in Northern Rivers, Australia.

Sandy.

I'm curious what a typical BBQ would include in Northern Rivers, Australia.

Good question. Ours was beef burgers and sausages for the carnivores, ocean trout and scallops for the pescetarians, and pea protein based burgers and sausages for the vegetarians. At other times there would be kangaroo steaks as well.

Add potato salad, green salad, beer, whiskey, Aussie rock music and a shed load of yard work.

Great day. 🤠

No shrimps on the barbie?

An advertising myth. We don’t call them ‘shrimps’, they are ‘prawns’, as in “Don’t come the raw prawn, Bruce”.

We had a huge feast of prawns at Christmas. ‘‘twas time for a change”.

Local fish supplier is excellent. In the last few weeks we’ve eaten fresh locally caught ocean trout, salmon, swordfish and scallops.

An advertising myth. We don’t call them ‘shrimps’, they are ‘prawns’, as in “Don’t come the raw prawn, Bruce”.

We had a huge feast of prawns at Christmas. ‘‘twas time for a change”.

Local fish supplier is excellent. In the last few weeks we’ve eaten fresh locally caught ocean trout, salmon, swordfish and scallops.

I left that out on purpose. I *think* 90% of the American public knows that was basically a gag, but I hope I'm not wrong. If people from the US visit and ask for 'shrimps on the barbie' I hope they get a couple of raw crustaceans on top of a plastic doll. . .

Don't get me wrong, I like shrimp/prawns and cooking them on a skewer with veggies on the grill is a good call. I'll eat them boiled. I'll eat them fried. I'll even eat them at the establishment that claims to be an Australian steak house, but I know it was a marketing thing and I hope most Australians think most Americans know that. . .

Sandy.

Ozzie knows when we're being facetious.

Today I charged up my two new Astrocams. Trying to adapt the BA Cineroc replica nose cone to fit the camera. (The original replica).
Lots of cutting and filing.
But I think it'll work with some tape.
0128221847[1].jpg
Laters.
EDIT: Oops, wrong thread.

Last edited:
Repaired an LED lamp driver in the luminaire in the bathroom. Intermittently working (lamp, not me). I expected to see dried-out electrolytic capacitors since there are heat lamps in the assembly. Turned out to be Chinese Toy Syndrome. Bad solder joint on the terminal block. They are paid piece-part rates so sometimes don't spend the time to heat larger parts enough for proper wetting. At least whoever did this one didn't belong to the Solder Conservation Society.

Looking at house plans, colors, tapware, tiles, carpet, door furniture, garage doors.

Last edited:
One of the main causes of intermittent operation of switch-mode power supplies on the mains is the electrolytics drying out and causing protection circuits in the driver to kick in. Most of the electrolytic caps are short lifetime 85degC rated rubbish because they are cheap. I have seen more of these than bad joints in off-line mains supplies.

We had a very nice installer come over and hang a new TV we got for our home office. He set it up too. My wife is very happy. He also hooked up a new sound bar and subwoofer for us. I got the sound bar for my wife. It enhances dialog. Maybe she can hear it now. Again my wife is happy. Now I can buy more rocket stuff and not get in trouble.

Latest posts

Back