What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put my six-meter delta-loop antenna up a bit higher. Heard someone really faint at 50.180 MHz calling CQ Field Day, but couldn't get him to hear me.

Got my CPAP machine and mask today. We'll see how well it helps me sleep.

took a ride in an IndyCar 165 mile an hour
nHKnE8n.jpg
One Christmas I got my wife 16 laps in a Petty stock car. She drove. Went 130 mph. She wanted to go faster but the instructor in the lead wouldn't go any faster and she was pushing him to go faster.

Put my six-meter delta-loop antenna up a bit higher. Heard someone really faint at 50.180 MHz calling CQ Field Day, but couldn't get him to hear me.

Got my CPAP machine and mask today. We'll see how well it helps me sleep.
I've been using them for 30 years now. 10 years ago went to a B-Pap machine, now using a Trilogy machine, pretty Hi-Tech, works great. Most people will tell you that they don't like the mask on their fave, but if it stops the sleep apnea, then you'll feel SOOOO much better during the day.

Wrecked my bike (pedal, not motor) when I caught a groove between lanes coming out of a corner. Bike fine as it was riding me down the road after that ...downside of being clipped in, you can’t put a foot down when things get bad. Happened so fast, probably wouldn’t have mattered. I did not fair as well, I broke my freakin collar bone and one rib. Also, bruised lung and road burned the crap out of my forearm and leg.

Great PSA for helmets though. Cracked my helmet, but no head injury at all despite hitting head hard on pavement...collarbone gave instantly, so head was not slowed much before impact. WEAR YOUR HELMET. I now personally recommend Kask helmets highly! I will be replacing with identical model for sure.

On the bright side, it was a good experience with humans as many folks stopped to offer help. A few chatted long enough to ensure I wasn’t foggy even after I told them I was clear headed and my wife was only minutes away. When you are down it means a lot when strangers take a minute to help. I have no idea who the dude was who got my bike and water bottles out of the street, but he made a bad day a lot better. Another guy was from that neighborhood and insisted on staying until my wife arrived because sometimes a large dog escapes another yard, and it can be aggressive...”You don’t need to be fighting a dog one armed, I’m stayin.”

All in all, could have been a lot worse. I will need to defer my IM entry to next year, but all injuries will heal, I have good insurance and I got to experience a purely good side of people. I think it is has generally been a net positive in my life to get humbled from time to time, and this is definitely humbling.

Wrecked my bike (pedal, not motor) when I caught a groove between lanes coming out of a corner. Bike fine as it was riding me down the road after that ...downside of being clipped in, you can’t put a foot down when things get bad. Happened so fast, probably wouldn’t have mattered. I did not fair as well, I broke my freakin collar bone and one rib. Also, bruised lung and road burned the crap out of my forearm and leg.
Bummer. Take it easy and I hope you have a good recovery. IMHO it is worse with all this covid stuff dragging our mindset down too. I was getting quite depressed last year (we had four months of lockdowns) and I had planned on cycling my way to a mental health recover at one day a week mountain biking. Had a big crash which put an end to that. Let's hope you recover quicker than me.

WEAR YOUR HELMET. I now personally recommend Kask helmets highly! I will be replacing with identical model for sure.

I'm sorry to hear about your wreck and rib / collarbone. Those will be sore while they heal.

Glad the helmet did its job. Some shops and companies might even replace it for free or with a discount after a crash. I've cracked a few myself...

- Lid PSA- 20 years ago I wasn't wearing one when I had a bad crash skiing and had a rough time with nausea, vomiting, and poor memory for a week. I still have a slight deficit to my fine motor control since that accident too.

Trying to stay cool on Day 2 of 100+ weather in a house with no AC other than a basement. The thermocline on the stairs is remarkable.

Great PSA for helmets though. Cracked my helmet, but no head injury at all despite hitting head hard on pavement...collarbone gave instantly, so head was not slowed much before impact. WEAR YOUR HELMET. I now personally recommend Kask helmets highly! I will be replacing with identical model for sure.

On the bright side, it was a good experience with humans as many folks stopped to offer help. A few chatted long enough to ensure I wasn’t foggy even after I told them I was clear headed and my wife was only minutes away. When you are down it means a lot when strangers take a minute to help. I have no idea who the dude was who got my bike and water bottles out of the street, but he made a bad day a lot better. Another guy was from that neighborhood and insisted on staying until my wife arrived because sometimes a large dog escapes another yard, and it can be aggressive...”You don’t need to be fighting a dog one armed, I’m stayin.”

All in all, could have been a lot worse. I will need to defer my IM entry to next year, but all injuries will heal, I have good insurance and I got to experience a purely good side of people. I think it is has generally been a net positive in my life to get humbled from time to time, and this is definitely humbling.

Damn, that sucks, but you got the right attitude! Crashing on pavement sucks. There's reasons why I only race MTBs now and no longer race road bikes. :) Heal up and ride on!

Being the lazy biker, I was riding a dirt bike on a tank trail on Ft Riley at night and came across a neutral steer dirt mound. Bike stopped, I didn't. At least it was only a collarbone, picked the bike up and rode it in to the company to let them know. The CQ wouldn't let me ride to the hospital so they stuck me in a jeep for the trip. Bet you could guess how comfortable that was. Had broken ribs a few times, definitely wouldn't want both at the same time. Heal quickly, wish for brighter days ahead.

There's reasons why I only race MTBs now and no longer race road bikes. :)

I don’t race but I did crack a helmet going over the handle bars of my mountain bike once. I was fine but ... there’s reasons why I sold my mountain bike and now only use a hybrid to commute!

Anyway, I got 263 miles per gallon in my plug-in vehicle in the last 8 days. Probably because I burned half a gallon going up a few hills. Connecting a charging cable gives me the same kick as triggering a rocket launch. Who would have thunk. ⚡

I'm sorry to hear about your wreck and rib / collarbone. Those will be sore while they heal.

Glad the helmet did its job. Some shops and companies might even replace it for free or with a discount after a crash. I've cracked a few myself...

- Lid PSA- 20 years ago I wasn't wearing one when I had a bad crash skiing and had a rough time with nausea, vomiting, and poor memory for a week. I still have a slight deficit to my fine motor control since that accident too.

Speaking of helmets, this is probably the best advert I’ve seen for one.:)

Helmets are great. I would not be here except for wearing a helmet when I was hit by a car head-on in a carpark back in 2010. Smashed the windscreen with my head. Car decided to cross to the wrong side of the road to go around a speed-hump.

FYI, my recent MTB crash was on single-track. Just a simple bump but ribs 1-9 broken (6 & 7 flail), smashed collarbone (five pieces) and dislocated shoulder. I put the shoulder back in before walking to the 4wd ambulance. Some of the drugs in ICU were amazing :shocked:. Recovering well now though. Be back on the bike in a couple of months I think :). Helmet saved my head in that one too. Sounded like a shotgun going off in my ear as I hit the ground.

Last edited:
Oof, now I'm trying to imagine riding with hook tires and loop riding surfaces. (I don't race, don't ride at all as I used to, and never did any off road.) I guess it would be a heck of a workout, if you could get moving at all.

Thanks for the well wishes. I see surgeon Thursday, so hopefully I’ll get screwed back together soon after.

My family has been awesome, particularly my wife. I am not an easy patient. My oldest son is packaging the Lab Rat orders with supervision, so for a limited time all packing slips come signed by Wesley instead of me...collectors edition.

I did not fair as well, I broke my freakin collar bone and one rib. Also, bruised lung and road burned the crap out of my forearm and leg.
Thanks for the well wishes. I see surgeon Thursday, so hopefully I’ll get screwed back together soon after.

My family has been awesome, particularly my wife. I am not an easy patient. My oldest son is packaging the Lab Rat orders with supervision, so for a limited time all packing slips come signed by Wesley instead of me...collectors edition.

Good luck, glad to hear you got good help, and that you're already making plans to get back. I went through a broken collar bone as well. There was a bit of PT after installing the hardware to help with range of motion and all that, and I elected to have the plate removed after it was all healed up. I was more comfortable with the plate back out. They let me keep the hardware so I took it home with me. I came in to work the next day with an "mending plate" from Ace hardware and told me coworkers, "Man, they're really cutting costs these days!"

1624998068320.png

(The actual hardware is way cooler)

Flew to Canada & back. Lots of moving-into-the-new-house work. I put a "save it for me" on a mower today. Hopefully it'll fit in the (stupidly designed) Uhaul trailer I rented.

EDIT: this little Barn Swallow found its way into our house & cost my wife and me several hours of our lives we’ll never get back.
55E1CE6C-1C54-4D07-BC54-1D4FF41032E6.jpeg

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, I thought about busting out the pellet gun. This pair of swallows has apparently been nesting just outside the front door our our new home for years. I'm glad we got it out of the house!

Our most frequent 'inside' visiting critters are microbats. Cute, but a little annoying. Next up are the goannas. Not Cute. Very annoying (and destructive).

Back