What grease do you use for assembly?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only proven grease is Super Lube.
It will NOT stick the liners to the casing. As others have said just a little does it on the o rings.
I lube my liners and have NEVER had an issue using Super Grease.

As several have said, most any grease works for the screw thread end closures, even used bacon grease from breakfast once. As for greasing liners, some come loose from the manufacturer and some tight and even a few we had to sand to finally be able to get into the motor case. I'm wondering if people that have had trouble getting the liner out had some tight-fitting ones and the grease made removal all the more difficult. I stopped greasing my liners years ago but everybody has their preference. Many of my friends give me their used AP motor liners for use in my sugar motors as I can sometimes get 5 or more reuses with them If you have a greased liner that is hard to remove, I've had some success putting the motor in the sun to warm the grease AND expand the motor case.

I should also mention that I had a cleaned motor case and did not have any grease and didn't think about using face grease or ear wax or ??? and fired the 38mm motor without any. I am lucky I can get one closure off to load everything in from that end as the other en has threads that are essentially fuzed together and can never get off...note to self, regrease threads after cleaning motor.

Last edited:
I'm branching into the world of reloadable motors. I picked up an Aerotech 29/40-120 casing recently and an E and G reload kit. The assembly instructions reference greasing the o-rings and outside of the liner sleeve with the included packet of grease. However, the reloads did not come with a packet. They said you can use Vaseline if you run out, but I'm wondering what else people here on the forum use? I'm looking for something with easy cleanup that isn't going to leave a mess everywhere. I tried to test fit the propellant liner and there's no way it's going without greasing it. Are they supposed to be that tight?

As several have said, most any grease works for the screw thread end closures, even used bacon grease from breakfast once. As for greasing liners, some come loose from the manufacturer and some tight and even a few we had to sand to finally be able to get into the motor case. I'm wondering if people that have had trouble getting the liner out had some tight-fitting ones and the grease made removal all the more difficult. I stopped greasing my liners years ago but everybody has their preference. Many of my friends give me their used AP motor liners for use in my sugar motors as I can sometimes get 5 or more reuses with them If you have a greased liner that is hard to remove, I've had some success putting the motor in the sun to warm the grease AND expand the motor case.

I should also mention that I had a cleaned motor case and did not have any grease and didn't think about using face grease or ear wax or ??? and fired the 38mm motor without any. I am lucky I can get one closure off to load everything in from that end as the other en has threads that are essentially fuzed together and can never get off...note to self, regrease threads after cleaning motor.
Only use Super Lube and I believe your issues will be only memory

Back