RMS Grease

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thing you read the directions! The dudes I know don't grease them, no maintenance or cleaning either. Just like the first M16s in Nam! A full proof, modern, technologically advanced system.
My motor dealer advised me NOT to lube my brand new AT liners. He's says it just makes cleanup harder. I'll find out in a few weeks at the Texas Shootout when I fly my first RMS motor.

My motor dealer advised me NOT to lube my brand new AT liners. He's says it just makes cleanup harder. I'll find out in a few weeks at the Texas Shootout when I fly my first RMS motor.
We were referring to Cesseroni cases. For any case the ancient Chinese secret is to keep it clean, just like a rifle barrel. I've never made it a habit to grease the case like some of the old timers did. A tiny sheen on the rings and a tiny bit on the threads is all you need to seat the rings and avoid blow by on the delay.

Most important thing I tell the new youngling AT reloaders is to keep your mind on what you are doing, where you are at. Learn the ways of the Jedi.

After their first successful reload flight I will then become a drill seargent, making them clean the case until I can put it up to the sun and see no soot specs or fouling inside the case and closures.

Cleanliness is key!

"What are you? Some sort of motor packing genius? Now get back out on the range and show those commies how to fly!" :)

I don't know....

Had a launch this last weekend, coated the insulator tubes on 5 motors heavily with Superlube during assembly. Afterward, the innards squeezed out like a big turd after a really greasy pizza. And no residual in the tubes
One of them had to wait 48 hours unopened.

Hans

Howdy all. Next month (June); I intend to finally make use of the RMS 29/40-120 case I bought myself all the way back during Black Friday. I have motors to assemble I have the case and I've watched a few youtube videos about putting it all together. My only question regards the grease. What's the best option here? I have White Lithium grease, axel grease, 3-in-one Oil, motor oil, WD-40, vaseline, KY Jelly, and whole bunch of other assorted ways to lube up something, but I'd rather ask the stupid question than accidentally blow up my rocket.

From what I'm reading, the grease isn't for heat protection or anything thermally-related, it's just to get the parts to slide together more easily. And you don't want to use much, just enough to make shiny. But what grease would you recommend for this project?
" KY Jelly"
HA! Never used Kentucky Jelly in a RMS and it isn't very good on toast.
🤮

I wonder if anyone has thought to use olive oil or vegetable oil as grease for a rocket -- after a launch it'll smell like french fries instead of that nasty rotten eggs smell.
Ohhhhh...
Bacon grease...
That would smell yummy.

Actually have had both Gary and Karl at Aerotech tell me they no longer lube any of the Liners. Unless it specifically states to do so. Not needed and yes it makes clean up harder. No grease on the Liner they come right out. Only grease threads, orings, delay parts specified

Howdy all. Next month (June); I intend to finally make use of the RMS 29/40-120 case I bought myself all the way back during Black Friday. I have motors to assemble I have the case and I've watched a few youtube videos about putting it all together. My only question regards the grease. What's the best option here? I have White Lithium grease, axel grease, 3-in-one Oil, motor oil, WD-40, vaseline, KY Jelly, and whole bunch of other assorted ways to lube up something, but I'd rather ask the stupid question than accidentally blow up my rocket.

From what I'm reading, the grease isn't for heat protection or anything thermally-related, it's just to get the parts to slide together more easily. And you don't want to use much, just enough to make shiny. But what grease would you recommend for this project?
Super Lube is the only Lube to use in RMS motors.

That is definitely not true. I grease the inside of the RMS tubes and the outside of the reload liner. Never had one stick. Even forgot one time to clean motors for 2 Xtra days. Everything just slides out.
You do need Super Lube as it takes heat well.
Just don't get grease on delay charge or facing of motor grains.

Back