What Brand?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to TRF. If you are new to model rocketry, you can start out with kits from Estes, Fliskits, and Quest. Estes and Quest both have starter sets if you need the ground support, but if you attend club launches, you can use theirs. For Mid power birds, Aerotech, LOC Precision, and Public Missiles are great place to look. High power rocketry is something best left alone till you get some experience under your belt... funny things begin to happen that you have to worry about when speeds and masses get larger.

FireEater,

If you are NEW to rocketry forget all the mid and high power stuff for now!

Get an Estes Quest or FlisKit rocket.

Figure out how to build it (it's not hard!) Ask questions here!

After it is built come see us here! Ask more questions

One step at a time!

Get a kit first! Skill level 1 or 2 just to understand how they work.

sandman

FireEater,

Give us a quick rundown on yourself and your talents.

Have you EVER built a model rocket before?

Have you ever built any kind of models before? (Model trains, airplanes, plastic models...you know.)

Just so we know how to answer you.

We don't want to treat you like a dummy and we don't want to bury you in too much info.

Small steps.

sandman

Originally posted by FireEater359
I am new to rocketry and I was wondering what kind of rocket should I use? :confused:

I'm just being curious, but what got you into rocketry to begin with? New rocketeers are far and few and I am certain others would be interested to know how you got an interest for the hobby. We have a few vendors/manufacturers of rocket products on our site and I am sure they'd like to hear it from a beginner's perspective as well.

I think it's great that you've asked for some help to get started. If you have any questions at all, feel free to chime in and ask. Everyone here is willing to help. In the meantime, have a look around and WELCOME! :)

No I have never built a rocket before. I never really knew there was something like this until my friend told me about model rockets and i was facinated.

Originally posted by FireEater359
I am new to rocketry and I was wondering what kind of rocket should I use? :confused:

I would suggest a Fliskits Rhino as a very good first rocket. Large enough that it is easy to work on, nothing exotic, but builds into a very nice rocket.

Scott

FireEater,

First, welcome to the forum. You can now delete all the bookmarks you may have been collecting to any other rocketry related forums as you won't need them anymore... :D

Don't take MY word for it. Spend some time here and you'll draw your own conclusions (this place is the best)

having said that, allow me to introduce myself. Jim Flis, President of FlisKits (maker of the Rhino kit that was mentioned)

The Rhino is a good kit, great for beginners (any age). It has laser cut fins and balsawood parts. Most of the other kits in our selection of kits have you cut the fins out of sheets of balsawood. None of our kits use plastic. We feel that it is important that you learn to use the tools that you would eventually use to design and build your own model rockets.

Preview our site and, should you have any questions about our products feel free to drop me a line.

hope this helps!
jim

to get started in model rocketry you will need the following:

Model Rocket kit
Launch Pad
Launch Controller
Model Rocket motors
Moderate sized field (size depends on the model and the motor)
MOST IMPORTANT: Answers to your questions (that's what TRF is for :) )

Each of these items can be purchased separately. Starter kits (offered by Estes and Quest (FlisKits does not have them yet)) provide all of the above (except the field :) )

At FlisKits.com you can click on "Free Stuff" and find plans for a very simple launch pad and launch controller if you want to avoid the expense of a starter outfit.

Needless to say there are many choices out there. Take your time and explore a little (like in here)

I would also recommend going to https://www.nar.org/ and check to see if there is a club in your area.

welcome to the forum
this is a great place for all your questions and answers
I recommend Fliskits, I don't have any kits for Fliskits but have heard great things about hte kits.

Another good source for information is "The Handbook Of Model Rocketry" by Harry Stine. Check your library - even an older edition is worthwhile, as the basics of model rocketry have remained the same since the hobby started in 1957.

Welcome to the forum! And since nobody else has mentioned it: post pictures if/when you can! :)

FireEater,

Welcome to TRF you will love it here:D The Rhino is a good choice for a first rocket. Its simple, and the parts are large enough to be easy to handle. A lot of level 1 & 2 rockets are small, and can be easily lost on the first launch if one gets to power happy and loads up a C motor in something ment for an A motor. You will get to enjoy the entire flight with a Rhino. Once you get the hang of things then you MUST get a Deuce's Wild. It has quite a cult following here. Once you have built and flown one you will see why. Best of luck in your rocketry adventures.....Larry

Hello Welcome to TRF There is also some of TRF members that are starting thier own Rocket Kit business. I am starting up Rockethead Rockets with some very unique designs. They are made of High quilaty products Balsa nose cones, Basswood fins, Mylar Chutes and Tango papa decals. Secret Squirrel is starting up The Squirrel Works. I seen his web site and he has some unique designs to. There is also Jeffk he is starting up Banzai Rocketworks. His first rockets looks great. You can Not forget Flying Silverado and Jim Flis they both have been making kits for sale for a while and both have some great rockets. Sandman is doing custom Turning and I hear he does great work. So as you can see that you can not only get your qeustion answered here but you will have opportunities to find a rocket or parts from the TRF members. To find out more about any of these companies just look around the forum. There is info in the venders, scratch build, and yard sale areas of this forum.

Hey FireEater, there is a GREAT field out north of town, it's owned by the Optimist group, and I always use it.

Back