What are you reading?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Masters of the Air The book that was the source for the AppleTV series. We all know that the book is always better than the movie, but in this case the book is phenomenally better than the movie. Even with a whole series to work with they didn't come close. If you were 'meh' about the TV series, read the book. I liked the series but wasn't inspired enough by it to go look for the book, but I ran across it at Costco and what the heck. If it didn't say so on the cover, I wouldn't even realize that the book and series were related. Softcover was $14 at Costco; it's $15 at Amazon.
Cool update on this. I lost my copy of the book at the eye doctor's office today. While waiting to check-in, with book in hand, an elderly woman sitting there noted the book and said: "You came prepared." I showed her the book and told her it was related to the AppleTV series, and we started talking about it. Good grief. She was Air Force enlisted/OCS/commissioned in the '50s, and her husband was an AF pilot for 40 years, flying 29 different planes, last an F-15. Married for 60 years, she was certainly in her 90's and sharp as a tack. She knew Clare Chenault! She was in meetings with Chiang Kai-shek negotiating the formation of the Republic of China. She probably knew many of the other characters in the book, so naturally, I just gave it to her. I also gave her my card (I'd also mentioned to her that I was AF enlisted/commissioned in the ''70s) but like an idiot I neglected to get her name before I was called to my appointment. I hung around after my appointment hoping she'd come out from her appointment, but she must have already left.

So anyway, Costco didn't have them in stock anymore, and I had to order a new one from Amazon. It'll be here tomorrow so I can finish the last 75 pages or so. I do hope she gives me a call for any reason.

Cool update on this. I lost my copy of the book at the eye doctor's office today. While waiting to check-in, with book in hand, an elderly woman sitting there noted the book and said: "You came prepared." I showed her the book and told her it was related to the AppleTV series, and we started talking about it. Good grief. She was Air Force enlisted/OCS/commissioned in the '50s, and her husband was an AF pilot for 40 years, flying 29 different planes, last an F-15. Married for 60 years, she was certainly in her 90's and sharp as a tack. She knew Clare Chenault! She was in meetings with Chiang Kai-shek negotiating the formation of the Republic of China. She probably knew many of the other characters in the book, so naturally, I just gave it to her. I also gave her my card (I'd also mentioned to her that I was AF enlisted/commissioned in the ''70s) but like an idiot I neglected to get her name before I was called to my appointment. I hung around after my appointment hoping she'd come out from her appointment, but she must have already left.

So anyway, Costco didn't have them in stock anymore, and I had to order a new one from Amazon. It'll be here tomorrow so I can finish the last 75 pages or so. I do hope she gives me a call for any reason.
That is a pretty crazy story! It’s a small world I guess…

Back