What are you reading?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been taking a break from novels to read the entirety of the Attack on Titan manga after I found out that the final volume (vol. 34) was available and I bought the remainder of the series. I started with volume 1 since it's been a while since I read it and I need the refresher. The story starts with the last of humanity living inside three great walls to shelter from hordes of man-eating giants and the main characters training to fight them, but the story goes in directions I never would have expected, especially the final few arcs.

How are you liking it? I’ve found him a bit wordy for my taste but his popularity is difficult to match.
I love it. I started reading Stephen King back in 1987 with Cujo when I was in seventh grade, and I've read pretty much everything he's ever written.

I just started on "Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy. It was written in the mid-'80's, and reflects the political thinking of the time. I have to wonder, though, how much of that paranoia still exists in the minds of the Russian leaders?
very good book.

I am currently reading a few WW1 books for personal research: The First World War as I Saw It; The March of the Prairie Men; Who Said War is Hell; Holding the Line; Official History of the Canadian Army in the First World War. My Great Grandpa and 2 of his brothers were in the Great War so I am documenting their personal history to add to my Ancestry records that I want to leave to future generations. So many people don't have an good picture of those who came before us, that we need to ensure information and records are kept for our posterity.

Also reading a couple of rocket related books: Make Rockets; Model Rocket Design and Construction.

Waiting in the wings are books on Robert Goddard and Wernher von Braun.

Last edited:
He's only wordy for the first 80% of his books, then he crams in a 10% ending.
That perfectly describes The Stand. 1,000+ pages of buildup to a war between good vs evil and then it ends in a couple pages. It's like King had a dinner reservation so he threw an ending onto the book in a rush.

I'm a couple chapters into this. The author Jack Carr is a former navy seal who used to go to the same truck mechanic I use. I never met him but my mechanic said he's a great person. He retired from the Navy, moved from San Diego (my current home) to Park City, Utah (my former home) and became an author. From the small amount I've read, he's a pretty good writer.

This book will be a series starting July 1st on Amazon Prime starring Chris Pratt.

1654963910365.png

That perfectly describes The Stand. 1,000+ pages of buildup to a war between good vs evil and then it ends in a couple pages. It's like King had a dinner reservation so he threw an ending onto the book in a rush.

The first half of The Stand is one of the best "parts of a book" I've ever read. But the second half? It's not bad, but a little disappointing when you realize who wrote it.

I could be wrong, but I think that book was written "organically," where King had no plan on how the book should progress or end. But then he got tired of it sitting around incomplete and realized he had too many characters and subplots, so he had to do something to "tidy things up."

I'm a couple chapters into this. The author Jack Carr is a former navy seal who used to go to the same truck mechanic I use. I never met him but my mechanic said he's a great person. He retired from the Navy, moved from San Diego (my current home) to Park City, Utah (my former home) and became an author. From the small amount I've read, he's a pretty good writer.

This book will be a series starting July 1st on Amazon Prime starring Chris Pratt.

View attachment 522611
I've read all of Jack Carr's books, and I really enjoyed them. I'm waiting for the next one (not the one that was just released, I just finished it a few days ago). I'm also anxious for The Terminal List on Amazon Prime!

Baby, can you dig your man . . .

View attachment 522611
I lived it! On book #2 now

I'll be finishing Attack on Titan with volume 34 tonight, and sticking with comics for a bit longer by reading Maus next after the hubbub in Tennessee brought it to my attention.

In addition, I am reading the first volume of The Gulag Archipelago during lunch at work, since I have a general policy of not reading comics at work.

Back