What are you reading?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sixteenth Watch by Myke Cole. Hard sci-fi nearish future. Coast Guard Search and Rescue / Interdiction on the moon.

Been wanting to read that. How was it?
Considering the Kindle version was ten bucks vs hard cover for $150, I'd recommend Kindle... :cool:
I enjoyed it a lot. As I got further into the story, I found there were a lot of his opinions and attitudes I didn't agree with, but it was things I could live with. While I can't see ever being "friends" with him, I'm sure, given the choice, he'd feel the same about me. Having said all that, I found the story to be inspiring, and I will probably end up downloading "Ghost Rider".
Considering all he had been through, his incredible talent, and his kindness, we lost an incredible person and performer. Rest In Peace, Neil Peart.
In case you haven't seen this...

Just finished Dragonlance Legends trilogy, and now starting on The Sandman comics by Neil Gaiman.

I found my Dragonlance collection when looking for something else. I wasn't very cash-enabled in my early 20's and had to choose how to be entertained on the cheap. I bought a Dragonlance paperback one time and by the time I got done buying them, I had every paperback published in the series up to the time. I think that was thru 1999/2000 range, but not really sure.

I re-read about 15 of them and took a break. I'm now on Steven King 'The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon.' Pretty mellow for Mr. King.

Sandy.

I found my Dragonlance collection when looking for something else. I wasn't very cash-enabled in my early 20's and had to choose how to be entertained on the cheap. I bought a Dragonlance paperback one time and by the time I got done buying them, I had every paperback published in the series up to the time. I think that was thru 1999/2000 range, but not really sure.

I re-read about 15 of them and took a break. I'm now on Steven King 'The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon.' Pretty mellow for Mr. King.

Sandy.

I've only read the original Chronicles trilogy and the Legends trilogy. I actually read them only recently because I'm a big metalhead and I picked up an album called "Of Dragons and Elves" by a band called Evertale. The music was great and it turned out it was all inspired by the original Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy, so I picked up the books and read them to appreciate the album more. Then I read Legends because I liked Raistlin. I'm planning on picking up Lost Chronicles in the near future.

I've only read the original Chronicles trilogy and the Legends trilogy. I actually read them only recently because I'm a big metalhead and I picked up an album called "Of Dragons and Elves" by a band called Evertale. The music was great and it turned out it was all inspired by the original Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy, so I picked up the books and read them to appreciate the album more. Then I read Legends because I liked Raistlin. I'm planning on picking up Lost Chronicles in the near future.

I had to check them out real quick and just reading the song titles, it was obvious. Checked out a few tunes and they are pretty fun.

Looks like my collecting stopped closer to 1998 based on what I recognized in a list on Wikipedia. I see the series kept going in various forms for quite a few more books. I'm guessing I have 50-ish, but it looks like there were 200+ if you count all the offshoots.

Sandy.

If you're ever out of new ideas for things to read, novels that have been nominated for both a Hugo and a Nebula are a great branch to explore.
Yeah, years ago I read SciFi all the time to escape from the nonsense of day-to-day stressors and focused on Hugo & Nebula Award winners. I got away from that as life got busier but have just gone back to it. I pulled down both lists and ticked off which I've read and which I haven't. I have a lot of catching up to do......

Just finished "Project Hail Mary" by Andy Weir.

Working on the final novel in the "Species Imperative" trilogy "Regeneration" by Julie E. Czerneda.

Just finished "Project Hail Mary" by Andy Weir.

Working on the final novel in the "Species Imperative" trilogy "Regeneration" by Julie E. Czerneda.
How was that? Weir's other books have been very good, so I expect this one will be as well.

How was that? Weir's other books have been very good, so I expect this one will be as well.
It's a combination of an "End of the World" and "First Contact" novel with a healthy does of Andy Weir's humor and "Science the Hell out of it" attitude.

I love the science the hell out of it in any Sci Fi, probably why I like the Expanse books so much, they actually logically deal with g force when vessels are under propulsion. Everyone else has 'inertia dampeners'

I was reading (again) LE Modessett's 4th or 5th novel in the "Imager" series and pages started falling out of the book (paperback). While it's in the clamps getting fixed, I started reading Glen Cook's "Garret" series. He's a private eye (or "confidential agent") in a medieval world with witches, wizards, and sourcerers. And trolls, giants, gnomes, dark elves, pixies, and let's not forget The Dead Man (dead, but not a "man).

Back