What after lvl3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rAUM

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering what to do after getting my lvl 3, is there anything higher than that? Would like to continue the journey.

join CAR and get Level 4!

no, once you get l3, it's jsut more dollars spent.. You can then become a TAPP or mentor to others in pursuit of their L3 or student teams..

CAR L4 = NAR/TRA L3..

Hi guys,

Just wondering what to do after getting my lvl 3, is there anything higher than that? Would like to continue the journey.
Build a two-stage, build a big oddroc, build an RC glider powered by the H13, try TVC, Build a high power rocket with strap-on boosters...

There is much more to the hobby than bigger and bigger rockets and motors.

Sincerely, another recent level 3.

Well don't know how that is going to happen, I live in Europe.
Grow your experience in the design & fabrication of rockets; cardboard, plywood, fiberglass, carbon fiber. Grow your experience in the avionics. And then volunteer to help (mentor) university teams that want to compete in rocketry competitions. The teams will challenge you (in a good way) in what you know and what you think you know. You will learn from them as they learn from you. Europe needs more good mentors.

BTW, where did you get carved wood biplane prop in you avatar?
The prop has been in my family since time began. My father used to rebuild, and help rebuild antique aircraft. He picked this up while he was rebuilding a Ryan PT-22. This prop though is off a Stearman PT-17. Their props are similar looking, and from the same manufacturer; Sensenich.

The teams will challenge you (in a good way) in what you know and what you think you know. You will learn from them as they learn from you. Europe needs more good mentors.

The quickest way to find out what you don't know is to try and teach someone what you do know.

It bothers me when people look at the 3 levels of certification and think they are done once they achieve them. The cert is a beginning, not an end. Just because you have flown an "M" doesnt mean the smaller motors are worthless. I have my level 3 yet I still find it challenging to build smaller rockets. Am currently working on a rocket using 18 mm motors and it is still a challenge. Will do a build thread on it soon.

So whats left to do? Everything!

I'm still L2, but I have been working on electronic staging off and on for the past few years. It's a very interesting challenge. I've heard many advanced flyers claim that it is more challenging than an L3 cert.

Plenty to do, as others have said. In my case here is some of what I have done:
  • Fly a full-scale V2 as part of a team project (O25000)
  • Fly a half-scale Nike Apache two-stage (O3400-M2020)
  • Assist/mentor university teams at local launches and international competitions (eg Spaceport America Cup)
  • Keep learning about space systems and the relevant engineering, processes and procedures
  • Keep learning about what has doomed earlier rocket flights
  • Keep learning about new technology that is being developed
  • Join a relevant professional organisation to keep up with news and network (AIAA in my case)
  • Mix and talk with people working in the rocket industry if possible
In my case regarding HPR I am actually flying less and enabling others more. YMMV.

Well don't know how that is going to happen, I live in Europe.
ESA and DLR come to mind. Lots of other contractors around them also.

I'm still L2, but I have been working on electronic staging off and on for the past few years. It's a very interesting challenge. I've heard many advanced flyers claim that it is more challenging than an L3 cert.
For technical challenges, staging and Mach 2+ flights can offer years of “entertainment”.

Back