Lets see you HPR recovery setups. Shock cords, eyelets, chute swivels, custom chutes, D.D, etc..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

86mustang408w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just want to get ideas for myself/In general and see how you are all doing yours, if your willing to share. I'm getting into high power and would like to see what you guys prefer. Even drouge chutes or DD setups, I'm not here to copy an of it I just like to see what you guys like to use, and don't use.

Just go to launches.

Leave your rockets at home.

You will probably learn more chatting with people as they ready their rockets for a launch.

Not bringing a rocket helps you stay focused on other people's builds and gives you
a chance to take your own pictures and take notes.

I've been to many a launch where I left my rockets in the van because there were too
many interesting rockets to pass up the chance to learn more.

Just go to launches.

You will probably learn more chatting with people as they ready their rockets for a launch.

Not bringing a rocket helps you stay focused on other people's builds and gives you

I've been to many a launch where I left my rockets in the van because there were too
Yes I've done just that back in September. Drove from Pa to NY to URRG. I was very observant and asked many questions/took pictures. I've also used Google and searched the forum back to the start to see what others have used. I've seen many types, this is more of "hey what do you like", over "hey what do you all use im not sure". I picked up some swivels and would like to try them too for certain rockets. I've been doing low power for a while and more curious as to what you guys like to use or prefer. This is much easier than driving 6 hours again to URRG. I'll be doing my cert flight the next trip so questions about this won't matter at that point. I've been making my own chute protectors too that hook around the quicklinks, but took a break from rocketry for about 10 years. Ted from OneBadHawk goes there too, he had some pretty nice stuff too. Thank you.

Personally I dislike quick links, use knots (double figure 8) instead. And I really hate swivels. Get a chute that isn't lopsided, I say! Nomex blankets are ok, but a baffle system and d-bag is the best.

I don't like shock cords that are too long. There should be a rule about landing both sections of the rocket in the same county on the same day. Although I have not seen many failures from too long cords, especially when they are zig zag folded and nicely taped.

This 2.6" is a clone of the 4" Phoenix I did my L1 and L2 cert on. It started out as a park flyer and somehow bloated into a MPR/HPR with DD and a tracker and piston ejection! So my true LPR will be 2.2" and is now under construction.

I crammed a lot in this 2.6" BT-80 Phoenix Missile. The extra coupler above the ebay is to stiffen the tube wall and prevent handling crush damage. 25oz without motor. Double redundant main deploy and triple redundant drogue (if I have motor ejection charge installed).

Going to the field is great, if you have time. I read threads and watched videos and borrowed ideas I liked, and crossed off many I don't (threaded rod for example). I built my L1/2 rocket after watching John Coker's YT videos among others. Once done, I found my local club, showed up at the next meeting with my finished rocket in hand and introduced myself! The guys were thrilled to have a fresh build to inspect! They approved and I quickly found a couple members anxious to help me get my L1 cert.

dd with av bay and piston eject.jpg

ebay.jpg

Just go to launches.

This makes no sense to me. Why not ask here, where there is a larger community, where hours of driving don't have to be spent, where money doesn't have to spent on gas? It makes way more sense to me to try to prepare before a launch. Maybe he doesn't many replies here, but it seems worth making the polite request.

Maybe I just don't get to go to enough launches, though. I can't really picture going to one and not launching anything.

This makes no sense to me. Why not ask here, where there is a larger community, where hours of driving don't have to be spent, where money doesn't have to spent on gas? It makes way more sense to me to try to prepare before a launch. Maybe he doesn't many replies here, but it seems worth making the polite request.

Maybe I just don't get to go to enough launches, though. I can't really picture going to one and not launching anything.
I can see advantages to going to a launch to learn from others there; viewing in person is better than looking at photos, talking in person is, in most ways, better than writing posts back and forth. Still, asking here is a whole lot more convenient for many, many people, including @86mustang408w, apparently; there's not a reason in the world not to do both, even if attending launches is easy.

OK, addressing 86mustang408w's opening question, here are my methods: first step is to read this thread and others, and talk to folks at launches, to see what other people have done. Second step, er, um, TBD. I did my L1, long ago, with nothing but an upgraded Estes trifold, but that was on a surprisingly small rocket for an HPR. What I'll do on my next H/I rocket (my current stalled build) is follow the manufacturers instructions. What I'll do on my L2 (I'm aiming for early next flying season) I do not yet know, so I thank you for starting this thread.

The current kit has a piston, with shock cord attachment on each end. The attachment to the piston uses two parallel slots in each bulkhead. The shock cords are ribbons that go into the the baffle through one slot then back out the other, and then the whole arrangement is secured with epoxy applied generously over, under, and all around the ribbon; it's internal, so I wasn't shy about it coming out sloppy. The other end of the lower cord goes through a slot in the forward centering ring, flat up against the motor tube, then three or four inches of ribbon lying against the tube, and again the whole thing epoxied together, quite generously once again. The other end of the upper shock cord I don't remember (did I say this build has been stalled for a while?). Parachute attachment I also don't remember. I'll look and get back to you.

For the L2, here's what I'm thinking so far, subject to change: I'll use lessons learned from the current build, but adapted. There won't be a baffle, so there's only one piece of shock cord. That will be attached to the front baffle plate by the double slot method from the current build. The other end will be attached to the nose cone bulkhead. This will not be dual deploy, will use motor ejection, and a JL Chute Release; it's a cert flight, so KISS. I'll get fancy on a later build.

And emphasize, this is all subject to change as I learn more from here and from club members.

Last edited:

Yeah I figured I'd ask here, I've been to a few launches. I'm always looking on here/youtube but sometimes you can't see it all or some stuff is covered up, etc. Thanks to all that responded..Michael B.

I can see advantages to going to a launch to learn from others there; viewing in person is better than looking at photos, talking in person is, in most ways, better than writing posts back and forth. Still, asking here is a whole lot more convenient for many, many people, including @86mustang408w, apparently; there's not a reason in the world not to do both, even if attending launches is easy.

OK, addressing 86mustang408w's opening question, here are my methods: first step is to read this thread and others, and talk to folks at launches, to see what other people have done. Second step, er, um, TBD. I did my L1, long ago, with nothing but an upgraded Estes trifold, but that was on a surprisingly small rocket for an HPR. What I'll do on my next H/I rocket (my current stalled build) is follow the manufacturers instructions. What I'll do on my L2 (I'm aiming for early next flying season) I do not yet know, so I thank you for starting this thread.

The current kit has a piston, with shock cord attachment on each end. The attachment to the piston uses two parallel slots in each bulkhead. The shock cords are ribbons that go into the the baffle through one slot then back out the other, and then the whole arrangement is secured with epoxy applied generously over, under, and all around the ribbon; it's internal, so I wasn't shy about it coming out sloppy. The other end of the lower cord goes through a slot in the forward centering ring, flat up against the motor tube, then three or four inches of ribbon lying against the tube, and again the whole thing epoxied together, quite generously once again. The other end of the upper shock cord I don't remember (did I say this build has been stalled for a while?). Parachute attachment I also don't remember. I'll look and get back to you.

For the L2, here's what I'm thinking so far, subject to change: I'll use lessons learned from the current build, but adapted. There won't be a baffle, so there's only one piece of shock cord. That will be attached to the front baffle plate by the double slot method from the current build. The other end will be attached to the nose cone bulkhead. This will not be dual deploy, will use motor ejection, and a JL Chute Release; it's a cert flight, so KISS. I'll get fancy on a later build.

And emphasize, this is all subject to change as I learn more from here and from club members.
I appreciate the response, I've been launching rockets since age 7 in 1990. I was going for my L1 back in May but put the brakes on it and took the advice of other here to go to launches and talk to towers. I went and talked more than I launched, and left my rockets at home Sept 9th for the drove to URRG. Which was completely dumb because I could have done my L1 attempt that day. But it will come. I told myself in May I want that attempt flight within a year. I'm hopefully going Nov 4th to URRG. I'm completely confident with everything and am doing the builds still. But also going to a launch every time I have a question, I can't do that...lol. its hard enough that day plus a 6 hour drive for me physically I had to have someone drive home. Honestly 10 years ago when I asked questions like this, and I got the types of responses like your first one. I gave up, lol. I'm just getting back into this and this post was more out of curiosity than "HELP". Thank you for taking the time to type out what you use, I have a book too I've read but im the type of guy that likes to see what else people use, successfully.

I'm trying to explain myself a little so it doesn't seem like I'm some 40 year old guy having a midlife crisis and needs answers to what I want to accomplish. I've been doing just that if going to launches, and I'm just like I said curious as to what others use too. Thank you, I appreciate your time.

This 2.6" is a clone of the 4" Phoenix I did my L1 and L2 cert on. It started out as a park flyer and somehow bloated into a MPR/HPR with DD and a tracker and piston ejection! So my true LPR will be 2.2" and is now under construction.

I crammed a lot in this 2.6" BT-80 Phoenix Missile. The extra coupler above the ebay is to stiffen the tube wall and prevent handling crush damage. 25oz without motor. Double redundant main deploy and triple redundant drogue (if I have motor ejection charge installed).

Going to the field is great, if you have time. I read threads and watched videos and borrowed ideas I liked, and crossed off many I don't (threaded rod for example). I built my L1/2 rocket after watching John Coker's YT videos among others. Once done, I found my local club, showed up at the next meeting with my finished rocket in hand and introduced myself! The guys were thrilled to have a fresh build to inspect! They approved and I quickly found a couple members anxious to help me get my L1 cert.

View attachment 610268

View attachment 610270
Thats cool, just wanted I wanted to see and hear about. Very nice! Thank you. I like seeing what other use, I have some physical issues so some days are spent in bed entirely. I get bored, I appreciate your time.

Personally I dislike quick links, use knots (double figure 8) instead. And I really hate swivels. Get a chute that isn't lopsided, I say! Nomex blankets are ok, but a baffle system and d-bag is the best.

I don't like shock cords that are too long. There should be a rule about landing both sections of the rocket in the same county on the same day. Although I have not seen many failures from too long cords, especially when they are zig zag folded and nicely taped.
Ok, ill have to keep some of that in mind. I have to say* for low/mid power swivels have been a gift from God. And I agree with too long if a shock cord, I'll size it to the build. Its never usually more than 3x the BT length. Anywas im going to try out the swivels below, the smaller black ones.

Attachments

• 20231015_142935.jpg
    20231015_142935.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This is a pretty comprehensive overview of how one individual does it (recovery hardware 'coverage' starts at 7:53 time stamp): (and that content creator is also a member here)

You might also want to peruse the various threads in the Recovery sub-forum for ideas

Threads go back to 2002 i think? Thanks!

Chutes I fly (home-sewn):

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1649633613691.jpg
    FB_IMG_1649633613691.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220401-101152_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220401-101152_Gallery.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20211203-082429_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211203-082429_Gallery.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20211125-104923_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211125-104923_Gallery.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210813-103634_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210813-103634_Gallery.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1624142843618.jpg
    FB_IMG_1624142843618.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210515_103509 (1).jpg
    20210515_103509 (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1615082165043.jpg
    FB_IMG_1615082165043.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4778.JPG
    IMG_4778.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
And just what would be so bad about turning to rocketry for a midlife crisis?
Id live to 80.....lol.

Its just more curiosity like I said, I've been to a few events and even take pictures of what I can but never really get a clear shot. If u don't know someone I don't lkle standing there asking, and asking, and asking questions while they prep the rocket. A few guys that I've become friends with, have even shown me how to assemble cases, the dog and don't of high power for rookies, lol. I looked back through the froum and most posts that interested me when old and zi didn't want to get flak again for being back an old thread. So I just started this one, I agree going to launches and just to observe is amazing. I learned a lot that day at URRG from some very respected L2/L3 from both sides and even asked them questions. I met with Larry the club President. I told him what I wanted to do, and he's very helpful. So it was a choice to do the attempt this fall over next spring/summer. That way I'm content over the winter and and just relax a bit. Its been physically tolling, even this little bit. Its hard for me to get to these high power events just to walk around. I drove 6 hours once and didn't take any, lol. I regret that to this sentence.

You keep saying six hours between Milton and the URRG launch field; I presume that's round trip? (Google Maps says one way is only about two and a half, and incidentally takes you within a couple of miles of my house.)

Anywas im going to try out the swivels below, the smaller black ones.
Those are crap. Too draggy, don't spin freely. Get stainless ball bearing ones from a fishing store like Cabela's or similar

You keep saying six hours between Milton and the URRG launch field; I presume that's round trip? (Google Maps says one way is only about two and a half, and incidentally takes you within a couple of miles of my house.)
6 hours round trip total, with bathroom breaks and stopping to stretch. Depending if you take Route 15 or Interstate 80/81 is about a 2 hour and 40 min drive one way. I can't sit for long before I have to move. So every hour or so we stop for 5 to 10 mins, none of this is physically easy for me. We took route 15 in Lewisburg, torwards Williamsport then that up to NY. We pass the Tioga reserve on the way up at the PA/NY border. Penn Yan is almost due north from Milton, PA if you look at a map. I usually have to start packing things Wed, Thurs, and Fri to leave Sat about 7am. This last time I didn't take anything to fly to URRG, I really, really regret that. I could have definitely gotten my L1 Sept 9th.

Those are crap. Too draggy, don't spin freely. Get stainless ball bearing ones from a fishing store like Cabela's or similar
Thats what they are, ball bearing fishing swivels rated at 390 pounds. I would hope they are not crap, they were almost 30 bucks.

Attachments

• 20231015_142833.jpg
    20231015_142833.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
6 hours round trip total, with bathroom breaks and stopping to stretch. Depending if you take Route 15 or Interstate 80/81 is about a 2 hour and 40 min drive one way. I can't sit for long before I have to move. So every hour or so we stop for 5 to 10 mins, none of this is physically easy for me. We took route 15 in Lewisburg, torwards Williamsport then that up to NY. We pass the Tioga reserve on the way up at the PA/NY border. Penn Yan is almost due north from Milton, PA if you look at a map. I usually have to start packing things Wed, Thurs, and Fri to leave Sat about 7am. This last time I didn't take anything to fly to URRG, I really, really regret that. I could have definitely gotten my L1 Sept 9th.
1697726956332.png
(We have a bunch of birch trees on a hillside on the back of the property.)

View attachment 610499
(We have a bunch of birch trees on a hillside on the back of the property.)
Yeah we drive right by Addison, and Bath! I remember Addison, thats my nieces name who I built a Partizon with when she was 3/4. I even freaked out a bit on the way up. Do you go to URRG at all? Those drive times vary too, it depends on when you look at it the first time it was 2 hrs 48 mins. I'm temporarily in Milton, PA. But I lived and plan on moving back to my house in Bloomsburg, PA.

I keep meaning to get over to URRG one of these days. I fly with MARS, which was the closest NAR chapter when I searched. URRG is a TRA prefecture, is it not? That would be why I didn't find it at first. But I do intend to get there. LDRS is there next year, and it would be criminal to miss out when it's so close to home.

I keep meaning to get over to URRG one of these days. I fly with MARS, which was the closest NAR chapter when I searched. URRG is a TRA prefecture, is it not? That would be why I didn't find it at first. But I do intend to get there. LDRS is there next year, and it would be criminal to miss out when it's so close to home.
Ok, yeah its TRA but they honor both. I asked them as I thought Oh crap I just joined NAR. I'm going to LDRS for sure, but hopefully Nov 4th or 5th this year for my L1 cert attempt. But my buddy Chris is a MARS member. I might join them too, we all are not far from each other. He plans to meet up with me at LDRS next year too. I even chatted briefly to Braden who does RocketVlogs on YouTube, he said he's planning on going. Definitely some cool guys will be there!!

Last edited:
Back