Well what's this?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
This came in the mail the other day :)

It dry fits pretty well... I guess that means I gotta build it. :rofl:

38mm motor mount. Considering putting 2x24mm motor mounts in it.... thoughts?

Dry Fit.jpg

I may look at that.... only problem is that im hoping to keep it light enough to fly at a low power field (3.3 pounds).

I probably will end up doing 2 24mm boosters around the 38mm central. I've never done a cluster so this seems like a good way to start :)

If you've never done a cluster, a single center motor does make more sense. Also, keeping it under 3.3 pounds, good luck. Mine weighed about 10 pounds, ready for flight. But then again, I do over-build pretty much everything...

I would do a 2*29 but the tube is about 1mm too small.

When I was much younger, I used to make two motor clusters this way. With Estes and similar tubing, cut slices to cram slightly more than fits. I liked wedge mounting through wall fins for one opposing pair, and simple surface mount for the other. It gives a unique look if you started with four duplicate fins, though you could also cut beforehand to make them all look symmetric once finished.

The two 29 mounts sounds good. If too tight just lose the motor mount runs, and have centering rings cut to match the OD of the motor. Easy enough. Also you lose the weight of the motor mount tubes improving static margin.

I got my patriot from the same guy that Matt got his. I got the 54mm MMT instead though! I won't be doing a thread on it. There are plenty of those... ;)

Back