weight problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackbird

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Quest Penetrator. As i only owned one two part rocket(Superbird). on the first launch of my Penetrator it flew to about 50 feet an then started powering back down to earth still under the propolsion of the B6-5 cartridge. the Penetrator landed like a javelen with hlaf it's nose stuck in the ground. After a few seconds of it sitting in the ground the parachute popped out.

I had put a AA batery and a small pebble in the payload section and i think that it was too heavy or the B6-5 was'nt powerful enough.

My question is how much is needed in the payload section of a two part 3 feet rocket and what engine power do you recommend for such a rocket?

P.S: my Superbird never returned due to no weight in the paylaod section!!!

:confused:

Instead of adding weight to the payload section try a few other "adjustments" to make sure you get your rocket back.

Try cutting a 'spill hole" in the middle of the parachute. Just cut a 2" or 3' circle out of the center of the chute.

Try a smaller chute.

If the model is light enough try a streamer.

That battery WAS a little much for a B6-4 motor!

OH! by the way...Welcome to the forum!

Build, launch, learn, have fun!

sandman

I hear Atkins is pretty popular these days. :D :kill: Really though, it seems most problems with not getting rockets back is due to drifting away problems. Although the battery may have been great with a C6-3, the rocket may have gone just fine with a B6-4 without a payload. If field size is an issue, I would certainly take the "reefed" or "spill hole" parachute approach.

By the way, welcome to the Rocketry Forum! I'm not sure how familiar you are with rocketry terms, but here's a great site (EMRR) to sort the lingo out - <a href="https://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/flattips/glossary.cgi">Rocket Reviews dot com</a>.

You don't have to put anything in the payload section.

On that particular bird I wouldn't either, we have one built, we've not flown it yet but it is heavy, would be better off as a 24mm rocket i think.

I'd keep it as light as possible, even with C motors and no payload I don't think you'll get too much altitude...

Thanks for all the help guys i will be sure to put them all to use.

P.S: i partly lied about the superbird........... I only lost the top section...... ;)

thanks again :D

Back