Watch The Biggest Unexploded World War Two Bomb Ever Found in Poland Blow Up

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Watch The Biggest Unexploded World War Two Bomb Ever Found in Poland Blow Up
The British “Tallboy” bomb, one of the largest conventional weapons of World War Two, detonated during efforts to make it safe.
OCTOBER 14, 2020

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...rld-war-two-bomb-ever-found-in-poland-blow-up
ABritish Royal Air Force “Tallboy” bomb, intended to sink a German cruiser during World War Two, blew up spectacularly in a Polish canal while divers were working [remotely! - W] to defuse it. After lying dormant for 75 years, the 12,000-pound bomb exploded underwater, sending a huge column of water skywards, but fortunately not resulting in any injuries or serious damage.

Polish Navy demolition experts were in the process of trying to make the 21-foot bomb safe by a process of deflagration, meaning that, using a remote device, the weapon was being exposed to heat to burn away the explosives.

According to reports, the bomb had been buried in mud 39 feet below the waterline with only its nose remaining visible. A controlled explosion had earlier been ruled out due to the risk of damaging a nearby bridge.

As it is, the effort to make the “Tallboy” safe has been described in local media as the largest underwater bomb disposal operation ever to take place in Europe, and required around a year of planning and preparation.

The shockwave from the detonation of what remained of the bomb’s 5,200 pounds of Torpex explosive filling rapidly engulfed the channel, demonstrating how the weapon’s “earthquake” effect was designed to destroy targets even without scoring a direct hit.

At the time of the detonation, on October 13, 2020, the divers were at a safe distance from the bomb, while more than 750 civilians had been evacuated from an area within a 1.6-mile radius, close to the town of Swinoujscie in northwest Poland.

This particular “Tallboy,” a weapon that was carried operationally only by the Avro Lancaster four-engine heavy bomber, had originally been directed against the German Kriegsmarine cruiser Lützow, anchored in the Piast Canal that connects the Bay of Szczecin with the Baltic Sea, in what was then Germany. Although fitted with three detonators, for some reason, the bomb had failed to explode.

NEW-BOMB-TOPSHOT.jpg

_114873831_mediaitem114873830.jpg

I saw that online. My reaction was:
"Woah! That's really cool!"
Pause. Feel nervous. Read the article and confirm that no one was hurt. Feel better.
"Woah! That's Really COOL!"

I saw that online. My reaction was:
"Woah! That's really cool!"
Pause. Feel nervous. Read the article and confirm that no one was hurt. Feel better.
"Woah! That's Really COOL!"

Yeah, when I read that it exploded "demolition experts were in the process of trying to make the 21-foot bomb safe " my first thought was "that can't be good for the bomb guys." I'm glad that it happened when everyone was operating remotely.

Back