Unexploded WW2 Bomb Found In Exeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Joined
Jan 31, 2009
Messages
9,360
Reaction score
1,496
2,600 Homes Evacuated After Unexploded WW2 Bomb Found In Exeter
27 Feb 2021


At a construction site in Exeter, a city on the River Exe in southwest England, an unexploded World War Two bomb was found.

On Saturday morning, Devon & Cornwall Police released a statement that read 2,600 households have been "evacuated in preparation for the examination of a possible unexploded World War Two device, which was located at a site on Glenthorne Road, Exeter, yesterday, Friday 26 February."

The 2.5m (8ft) by 70cm (27in) bomb was found by construction workers on a private worksite west of the University of Exeter campus.




Exeter Blitz: The night of bombing which caused carnage and changed the face of Exeter forever
A devastating bombing raid killed 156 people, left many more wounded and destroyed much of the city. Here is the story of how it happened
5 May 2020




 

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Joined
Jan 31, 2009
Messages
9,360
Reaction score
1,496
I'd love to, but don't know the details. They obviously couldn't de-fuse it for transport since they had to do this far less preferable fix for the gift that keeps on giving:

On Saturday evening, a controlled detonation of the unexploded World War Two bomb found in Exeter, England, was conducted by the Royal Navy bomb disposal team.

 

hball55

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
1,593
Reaction score
70
I was reading where the British dropped some bombs that were designed not to go off until much later, when emergency personnel showed up to fight the fires or rescue trapped civilians. I’m sure the Germans did the same thing.
 

MClark

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
2,734
Reaction score
816
Location
Glendale, AZ
A coworker was Air Force EOD stationed in Germany in the 1970's.
He told us farmers plowed up bombs in the fields and would contact EOD for pick up. They were not worried about them going off, hadn’t gone boom for thirty years must be ok, 👍
 

georgegassaway

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
4,770
Reaction score
679
One of the most concerning dangers of unexploded WWII munitions in the UK is the SS Richard Montgomery.

I would not know of it if not for The History Guy's video:


It's off the coast of Kent. If it exploded, it would create a "5 meter tsunami" (over 16 feet), and that would funnel itself up the Thames river and flood London. It's a hard choice of doing nothing, with a good chance it will go off someday, or try to make it safe ....with a real risk it might go off in the process. Like... do you disarm a bomb with a 10% chance it will go off in your face, or leave it alone with a 90% chance it will go off in a few decades? (I made up the numbers as to what a dilemma this is, do not know the actual numbers for the ship).

 

Zeus-cat

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2009
Messages
4,619
Reaction score
827
The London Surfing Championships would be short, but if you caught the wave you would have a heckuva ride.
 

boomtube-mk2

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2014
Messages
688
Reaction score
94
A coworker was Air Force EOD stationed in Germany in the 1970's.
He told us farmers plowed up bombs in the fields and would contact EOD for pick up. They were not worried about them going off, hadn’t gone boom for thirty years must be ok, 👍
Yep!
That's why I use a one-hundred year-old crate of dynamite as a stepstool.
 

boomtube-mk2

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2014
Messages
688
Reaction score
94
It could have been worse; they could have unearthed this.
1614622999705.png

Some things just need to be left earthed.
 

Tobor

Get your peanuts....
TRF Supporter
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
2,000
Reaction score
601
I'd love to, but don't know the details. They obviously couldn't de-fuse it for transport since they had to do this far less preferable fix for the gift that keeps on giving:

On Saturday evening, a controlled detonation of the unexploded World War Two bomb found in Exeter, England, was conducted by the Royal Navy bomb disposal team.

Wow, that is pretty Rad!

It could have been worse; they could have unearthed this.
View attachment 453023
Some things just need to be left earthed.
Thx for the reference. I love old SiFi flicks but never heard of this movie. So, I did some digging and discovered you can legally DL it for for free at Archive.org (Here).
 

boomtube-mk2

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2014
Messages
688
Reaction score
94
In one of my Western Pacific RR. history books there is an account of a train hauling a couple of boxcars loaded with unfused 500lbs bombs.
Somewhere in the middle of the deserts of Nevada something caused one of those bombs to go BOOM!!
This created a chain reaction amongst the remaining bombs, of which I think there was a total of 250, that turned those two boxcars into confetti.

None of the traincrew were killed or injured but I think that there was a hobo aboard a nearby car that was killed.
 

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Joined
Jan 6, 2009
Messages
5,420
Reaction score
890
Location
Alliance, Ohio
In one of my Western Pacific RR. history books there is an account of a train hauling a couple of boxcars loaded with unfused 500lbs bombs.
Somewhere in the middle of the deserts of Nevada something caused one of those bombs to go BOOM!!
This created a chain reaction amongst the remaining bombs, of which I think there was a total of 250, that turned those two boxcars into confetti.

None of the traincrew were killed or injured but I think that there was a hobo aboard a nearby car that was killed.
When I read your post, it sounded like something that would have happened in the 40's during WW2, but it happened in 1973 in Roseville, near Sacramento, CA.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/history/article145902054.html
 

boomtube-mk2

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2014
Messages
688
Reaction score
94
Your sacbee news report is actually a different incident that took place on a Sothern Pacific train while it was still in the yard at Roseville.

Bet that one woke up the neighbors.

The event on the Western Pacific took place in the '70's out in the middle of the Nevada desert East of Gerlach.
 
Top