Unexploded WW2 Bomb Found In Exeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
2,600 Homes Evacuated After Unexploded WW2 Bomb Found In Exeter
27 Feb 2021

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ww2-bomb-results-2600-uk-homes-evacuated
At a construction site in Exeter, a city on the River Exe in southwest England, an unexploded World War Two bomb was found.

On Saturday morning, Devon & Cornwall Police released a statement that read 2,600 households have been "evacuated in preparation for the examination of a possible unexploded World War Two device, which was located at a site on Glenthorne Road, Exeter, yesterday, Friday 26 February."

The 2.5m (8ft) by 70cm (27in) bomb was found by construction workers on a private worksite west of the University of Exeter campus.

2021-02-27_06-43-12.png

Exeter Blitz: The night of bombing which caused carnage and changed the face of Exeter forever
A devastating bombing raid killed 156 people, left many more wounded and destroyed much of the city. Here is the story of how it happened
5 May 2020

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/exeter-blitz-night-bombing-caused-4103349
Exeter_blitz.jpg

0_AMR_DCM_31102019_todd07.jpg

I'd love to, but don't know the details. They obviously couldn't de-fuse it for transport since they had to do this far less preferable fix for the gift that keeps on giving:

On Saturday evening, a controlled detonation of the unexploded World War Two bomb found in Exeter, England, was conducted by the Royal Navy bomb disposal team.

2021-02-27_21-33-33%20%281%29.gif

I was reading where the British dropped some bombs that were designed not to go off until much later, when emergency personnel showed up to fight the fires or rescue trapped civilians. I’m sure the Germans did the same thing.

A coworker was Air Force EOD stationed in Germany in the 1970's.
He told us farmers plowed up bombs in the fields and would contact EOD for pick up. They were not worried about them going off, hadn’t gone boom for thirty years must be ok, 👍

One of the most concerning dangers of unexploded WWII munitions in the UK is the SS Richard Montgomery.

I would not know of it if not for The History Guy's video:

It's off the coast of Kent. If it exploded, it would create a "5 meter tsunami" (over 16 feet), and that would funnel itself up the Thames river and flood London. It's a hard choice of doing nothing, with a good chance it will go off someday, or try to make it safe ....with a real risk it might go off in the process. Like... do you disarm a bomb with a 10% chance it will go off in your face, or leave it alone with a 90% chance it will go off in a few decades? (I made up the numbers as to what a dilemma this is, do not know the actual numbers for the ship).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...gomery-wartime-wreck-kent-explosive-munitions

The London Surfing Championships would be short, but if you caught the wave you would have a heckuva ride.

A coworker was Air Force EOD stationed in Germany in the 1970's.
He told us farmers plowed up bombs in the fields and would contact EOD for pick up. They were not worried about them going off, hadn’t gone boom for thirty years must be ok, 👍

Yep!
That's why I use a one-hundred year-old crate of dynamite as a stepstool.

I'd love to, but don't know the details. They obviously couldn't de-fuse it for transport since they had to do this far less preferable fix for the gift that keeps on giving:

On Saturday evening, a controlled detonation of the unexploded World War Two bomb found in Exeter, England, was conducted by the Royal Navy bomb disposal team.

2021-02-27_21-33-33%20%281%29.gif
Wow, that is pretty Rad!

It could have been worse; they could have unearthed this.
View attachment 453023
Some things just need to be left earthed.
Thx for the reference. I love old SiFi flicks but never heard of this movie. So, I did some digging and discovered you can legally DL it for for free at Archive.org (Here).

In one of my Western Pacific RR. history books there is an account of a train hauling a couple of boxcars loaded with unfused 500lbs bombs.
Somewhere in the middle of the deserts of Nevada something caused one of those bombs to go BOOM!!
This created a chain reaction amongst the remaining bombs, of which I think there was a total of 250, that turned those two boxcars into confetti.

None of the traincrew were killed or injured but I think that there was a hobo aboard a nearby car that was killed.

In one of my Western Pacific RR. history books there is an account of a train hauling a couple of boxcars loaded with unfused 500lbs bombs.
Somewhere in the middle of the deserts of Nevada something caused one of those bombs to go BOOM!!
This created a chain reaction amongst the remaining bombs, of which I think there was a total of 250, that turned those two boxcars into confetti.

None of the traincrew were killed or injured but I think that there was a hobo aboard a nearby car that was killed.

When I read your post, it sounded like something that would have happened in the 40's during WW2, but it happened in 1973 in Roseville, near Sacramento, CA.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/history/article145902054.html

Your sacbee news report is actually a different incident that took place on a Sothern Pacific train while it was still in the yard at Roseville.

Bet that one woke up the neighbors.

The event on the Western Pacific took place in the '70's out in the middle of the Nevada desert East of Gerlach.

Back