Warning! Horrendous Paint Job! Not for the young, faint of heart or loose of bowel.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda reminds me of a paintjob my brother did on an old bicycle bout 20 years ago....

He needed a new bike and couldn't afford one so he found a 20 year old bike of my Dad's in the back of the storage barn, and pulled it out and spiffed it up since it was pretty much like new anyway.

After new tires, he decided the lime green paint job and scale-rusted chrome fenders didn't do it for him, so he swiped some rattlecans and sandpaper from the farm shop and went to work on it. He sanded the fenders down smooth and etched the remaining chrome, and shot the thing with some slightly lighter than John Deere Yellow paint, then hit it with little spots and squiggles of black paint from the rattlecan, much like your rocket there Layne. I didn't see what he'd done til he rode down to the field on it a couple days later.

I busted out laughing because it looked like something straight out of The Rat Patrol on the German side-- VERY Afrikacorps...

It was pretty cool looking. Sadly that bike became history long ago...

Later! OL JR :)

I busted out laughing because it looked like something straight out of The Rat Patrol on the German side-- VERY Afrikacorps...
Wow, I never knew that Rommel's troops rode bicycles! How well did they go out in the desert? :confused: :p :D

MarkII

Okay, so I liked your idea, so I decided to try it...

Yours looks a lot better. :neener:

however, I had the same problem with the black bleeding into the green.:rolleyes:

Just a suggestion, but have you guys considered shooting a clear coat between colors? It might help the bleed issue. Works for my models.

Did you get the H model? I just got one too! That paint job doesn't look too bad honestly, I'd just hit it with some clear and call it good.

Don't fix what aint broken. :D

Yes, I got the H Model, and am very happy with it. Picked it up from Hobby Lobby with a 45% off coupon. Love those coupons!
SO far the single action has done everything I need it to, to the extend of my abilities. What is the practical advantage of the double action?

And I took your advice and hit her with a coat of clear and it deepened the color. Still shameful but a bit better...

the only advantage I can see with a double action is when you are doing really fine details like photo retouching or something of that nature or really high end work like a motorcycle/helmet graphics guy would do.
this takes a ton of practice,, more than I'm willing to invest personally
now you can adjust the passche vl to work as a single action just like the H model,, but it's really not needed for rockets...and it's much more involved to clean.

If your main interest is to spray color and try some basic things like the camo squiggles.. the H is a perfect airbrush. how fine or wide you need to spray comes down to the needle size, the pressure and the thickness of the paint.
without the extra complexity of mastering the double action technique.

Yes, I got the H Model, and am very happy with it. Picked it up from Hobby Lobby with a 45% off coupon. Love those coupons!
SO far the single action has done everything I need it to, to the extend of my abilities. What is the practical advantage of the double action?

And I took your advice and hit her with a coat of clear and it deepened the color. Still shameful but a bit better...

I love my H too. Single action is great. A buddy of mine has a double action VL set, basically, the only differences are how the paint is siphoned from the needle, and how you control how much paint comes out. He claims you can get more precise with it, but I have written in cursive using the #1 needle on my H. I have been looking at some of their other models, and might purchase the gravity fed double action talon, if I stop spending money on new rockets:roll: So it'll be a while. I'm in no rush, because the H does a fine job.

P.S.
Good job on getting Paasche:D. Iwata accessories are ridiculously expensive.

I Think I would put a clover on it and enter it in this months contest :D

As Sandy H. said, hit the Createx with a hair dryer or heat gun. At least, that's what I've read - I just can't remember where I read it. Createx's website? Styme's article on TRF on painting flames? somewhere . . .

Airbrush paints are designed to mix with the last colour applied. To stop colour bleed you will need to spray an "intercoat clear", which will lock in the colour of the green and stop bleed through of the black/green!

The hair dryer works to dry the paint between coats but Createx sells a sealer to use between colors for the above reason.

Back