Wanting to start airbrushing...suggestions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a Paasche H0708 set, not quite an automotive spraygun, but I can make it work. It's WAY better than the Testors airbrushes though!

Creatix pearl paint too, noe it's time to sand the Talon so I can use it!

Thinking that I wanted to go down this path and have better looking paint jobs (with more variety of colors and all), I bought a new Badger 80-2 compressor on Ebay for cheap. I was thinking of buying the Badger 155-17 kit airbrush talked about earlier in the Badger Garage Sale section. What else do I need (adapters, lines, water trap, etc) beyond this to get going?

Talking paints, what is best for rocketry purposes and where do you buy it (online and local)? Do you prime before airbrush paints? What about clear coats?

Now, I gather the airbrush gives you much more control and finese than a spray can. But, how HARD is it to realize the benefits (i.e. how much fuss and extra $$$s is this over paint cans for what benefit)?

If you are really particular, I would check out Dixie Art ( www.dixieart.com ) who specializes in everything airbrush. Although they may be a bit pricier, doing airbrush in a home with a sleeping better 2/3, it may be worth getting a "silent" compressor rather than a cheaper item bought from Harbor-Freight or Sears.... and I have all of them. I have a big tank compressor from Sears, which is great at the studio, where I can put it in another room at the end of 100 feet of hose and don't have to listen to it's extremely loud drone, but often times I have to have it in a makeup trailer or, when not working on a project, in my basement at 10:00 PM painting a rocket while the kids and wife are sleeping, so it's worth the "silent" aspects are worth the extra cost, so I picked up a Scorpion Silent-Aire, and wouldn't trade it for anything at this point. The built in valves and gauges are great and it works with all my airbrushes. (Paasche H & VL, as well as an Aztek, my personal favorite, which my co-workers have referrred to as my "Fisher-Price" airbrush). Customer service from Dixie Art is great, and I have gotten stuff from them, in a pinch, in less than 24 hours. My very favorite paint from them is the Badger Airbrush paint, which works as well on rockets as it does on rubber and as a makeup product.

Alan

....of course, I won't be spraying anywhere near the house anytime, soon. I've learned that even with doors and windows closed, some of the fumes make it into the house, and my son would be most unhappy if I killed his bird!

I've considered using automotive paints, but this aspect of them keeps me away. Where do you spray them? I have a huge field I could do it in, but insects become an issue then. I guess I could build a screened enclosure and use a respirator. The compressor is no problem, I have a huge beast I use for air tools including sandblasting. :) I would need longer hose, some filters and dessicant, but that's easy.

I'm still considering using the airbrush type paints. Not as many issues with those.

I would like to try automotive paints sometime, but living in an apartment with no spray booth or ventilation, I am stuck using acrylics.

Here are a few rockets I have done with Createx Pearl airbrush paint (I've also done some flames, but I don't have any pictures of them on this computer)....

I put the first coat of Creatix Pearl White on a rocket today, the stuff seems clear! All of the darker spots below are showing through the wet paint. Is this gonna go away or is this paint just like this? Other than the spots, it's pretty paint, if the spots go away I should be able to polish it and make it really nice!

I put the first coat of Creatix Pearl White on a rocket today, the stuff seems clear! All of the darker spots below are showing through the wet paint. Is this gonna go away or is this paint just like this? Other than the spots, it's pretty paint, if the spots go away I should be able to polish it and make it really nice!

I just started airbrushing myself. I grabbed some yellow and started spraying it on a recently primed rocket. No matter how many coats I put down, it would not cover the layer beneath. I eventually tried thicker coats, got runs, and washed it all off with water disgusted. Then I noticed the yellow was TRANSPARENT! Feeling like a dummy, I tried some opaque white, and it worked perfectly in one pass. Lesson learned.

Here was my second try at airbrushing using Createx pearl & transparent paints on an E-capable Mercury Engineering Atomizer...
505449947_Ryojs-L.jpg

Just like you I don't have any workspace, plus I didn't want to spend a lot either. So here is how I got into airbrushing: I bought a Badger 155 Anthem (dual action, internal mix) set at Michaels Craft store using a 50% off coupon. I got a used Badger Cyclone II compressor (which I think sells new for about $130) from ebay for about $30.

I live in an apartment so when I paint I just set up 2 or 3 large pieces of cardboard or an old bed sheet in the kitchen. I use water-based acrylic paint (mostly Createx brand) so I don't need much for ventilation. The nice thing about airbrushing is you don't get a lot of overspray going everywhere.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Damn I paid $130 for my full size compressor!

Wow! Thanks, Troy. But I am by no means the man on this topic. Although I have had mine for about 3 years now I still consider myself very new to airbrushing since I have really had very little time to play with it and learn it.

Here are a few rockets I have done with Createx Pearl airbrush paint (I've also done some flames, but I don't have any pictures of them on this computer)....

What is the model on the right? I remember seeing this before just can't remember the name? By the way, excellent paint job. Can we see the full model?

Last edited:
It is a Semroc Space Shuttle. Thanks! Here is a picture of the full model.....

IMG_7285 - Copy.JPG

From Now until 1 June 2009, when you purchase a Polar Bear Compressor from BearAir and select a PEAK Airbrush, any model, you will receive the PEAK Airbrush FREE!
Check out the Polar Bear Compressors here:
https://www.bearair.com/products.asp?dept=1396
Here’s how it works:
Order a Polar Bear compressor and a PEAK Airbrush. Your shopping cart will show the price for both. When we transfer over the order to our order fulfillment house the price of the PEAK Airbrush will be converted to FREE! PAYPAL customers will have their PEAK Airbrush payment refunded.
Limit one airbrush per compressor. Shipping and handling applies. Does not apply to our EZ-Start Combo Sets.
For those who don’t need a compressor, order any PEAK or RICHPEN airbrush and receive a FREE copy of the landmark book "How Airbrushes Work" by Steven Leahy. You can check out Steve’s book here:
https://www.bearair.com/prodinfo.asp?number=730198
Order a PEAK or RICHPEN airbrush and we will add the book to your order for you. Shipping and handling charges apply.
And don't forget to check out the classes at Airbrush University, our world class teaching venue at a world class facility.
https://www.bearair.com/products.asp?dept=1424
Thank you for your support and we hope that you can participate in these awesome deals.
Happy Airbrushing!
Steve Angers
Chief Bear
BearAir respects your privacy and hope that we are sharing pertinent and welcomed information with you. If you wish to be removed from our mailing list, simply email [email protected] to stop receiving this information.
Sale ends 1 June 2009.
BearAir Express your revolutionary leader in airbrushes and airbrush supplies

Back