Wac Corporal Clone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carldoc

Reaction score
Well, after working on an Estes Wac Corporal clone for the past several weeks, I got a chance to fly it. This is my first cloned kit and I made it after my nephews got me back into rocketry after a very long layoff. The first flight was with a 1/2A6-2 to make sure everything was ok. It flew great and like a dart! In fact, it landed about 10 yards from the launch pad. The only problem was that it hit a branch of a pear tree and dinged a fin pretty good. Oh well, it's to be expected. I like flying rockets so I can except a ding or two. My second flight was with an A8-3. Again, it flew like a dart and came down in the field next to my house. As a kid, the Wac Corporal was my favorite rocket. It looks as if it's still my favorite. I'm working up the nerve to get it to fly with a B. And, if I get it back, with a C. If I don't get it back, I'll just keep making one until I do.

Try upscaling it to say a BT-50 or BT-55.

On a bt-55 Estes makes a plastic nose cont for the Black Brant that is a pretty good match and is easy to find at most hobby shops.

That should fly great on a C.

sandman

Sandman, After I built the clone, I purchased 2 Wac kits from ASP. They are a bigger scale and I think these will be a riot. One of them uses "D" engines....do I wave it bye now?

make an adaptor so you can use an 18mm motor or the new Estes C11.

Or just kiss it good bye.

sandman

I got a real steal on eBay a couple of months ago. The auction was cancelled because it included about 12 3-packs of old estes engines, but the seller agreed to sell it to me for the final price when the auction was cancelled. I got the following estes rockets still in UNOPENED, original packages, plus the engines and some extras, for about $75 total:

WAC Corporal
Astron Mark II
Astron Scout
Sky Hook
Astron Drifter
TWO Astron Farside 3-stage kits

Extras:
Opened and partially built Astron Mark II Kit
Opened and partially built Astron Scout
Astron X-Ray, minus instructions
paper shroud sheet, minus some, for Mars Snooper
Bits of balsa and an extra balsa nc to fit a BT50

I've built the Mark II (used to be one of my favorites, don't know why) and the WAC Corporal. It has a couple of lead discs that attach to the base of nc with the screw eye for weight. The launch-lug conduit is a little crude, but the final product is pretty darn neat. Being BT20 based and using 18mm motors, I'm scared to launch it. Don't think I'll get it back unless I use A8-3's or perhaps a B4-4. I guess I could post a pic of it so I have *some* record of ever having it before I launch it.

Originally posted by Trogdor
so that was you on Ebay!!!

:)

I guess........

I haunt that place a *lot* looking for rocket and kite bargains.

What instance are you referring to?

I actually remember that auction as I too follow ebay stuff... although my interests have recently shifted to rocketry-related books, either technical or historical for scale data... :) I don't think I would have gotten that but I wonder what the guy who put up all those Centuri motors did?! I emailed him to try ROL, BTW.

Fore Check, in the 70's I had several Wac Corporals but kept losing them.....In fact I only ever got 1 back using a "B". It's not that I lost sight of them, it's watching them drift ....and drift....until a tree or biulding got it. Now that I'm a little older and wiser (I think) I'm going to see if I can get one back with a "B" or "C". You're right abouit one thing though, I'm goint to take a picture of this clone before it does say "good bye" to me.

carldoc, do you own a digital camera?

If so, you must become familliar with our customs. A picture can say a thousand words, so why not post a pic with your message (using the attatch function when your posting) and save your fingers from all that typing.

Basically: What! No pics?!?

If you don't have a digi camera, don't worry!

I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned this

Originally posted by carldoc
Fore Check, in the 70's I had several Wac Corporals but kept losing them.....In fact I only ever got 1 back using a "B". It's not that I lost sight of them, it's watching them drift ....and drift....until a tree or biulding got it. Now that I'm a little older and wiser (I think) I'm going to see if I can get one back with a "B" or "C". You're right abouit one thing though, I'm goint to take a picture of this clone before it does say "good bye" to me.

Hi carldoc,

If the main problem is excessive drift, may I suggest using a parachute with a large spill hole cut into the center of it? Rule of thumb is that it should be at least as large as the Estes logo in the middle of an Estes 'chute. Smaller holes will actually INCREASE lift :)

Hope this helps. Do try to get a pic before you launch the bird, eh?

Thanks.

Originally posted by carldoc

Hi carldoc,

If the main problem is excessive drift, may I suggest using a parachute with a large spill hole cut into the center of it? Rule of thumb is that it should be at least as large as the Estes logo in the middle of an Estes 'chute. Smaller holes will actually INCREASE lift :)

Hope this helps. Do try to get a pic before you launch the bird, eh?

Thanks.

I took WIK's advice, borrowed a digital camera and took a picture of the clone Wac Corporal. This is the first clone that I have ever built and the first rocket that I have made in a very long time. This rocket has flown about 10 times so far. I will admit that it only has 1 flight with a "B" and the rest with "A"s. I actuallly like this little guy and don't want to lose it. So, I'll just keep using lower end moters for now.

I still have a Wac Corporal from the 70s. Actually my second one. The first one dissappered on its first flight. I don't remember what I put in it, but was most likely a B6-4. It was GONE:eek:
Larry

I also have my 1970's Wac Crporal. I converted mine to 13mm motors way back then, and I have had a number of excellent flights right up yo this year with it. It is just too small for an 18mm full A or larger engine.

I never thought of using 13mm motors for a Wac....I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back