Video I made with my 10 year old son - Lego Batman

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mushtang

Premium Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Backstory:
My son put a small tube piece on his Lego Batman's hand and got thread from his mom and was letting it race across is room from above his closet door to the bottom of his window. I noticed him bringing the 6 foot ladder up from the basement (not easy for a small boy) so he could reach the top of the string. He wanted me to record it sliding down the string so he could watch it from different angles.

Well, an hour later I'd strung up a thread in our living room from the top of the stairs down to the fireplace, which was about 10 times longer. He then built a custom Batwing (not from a kit) with tubes on top so it could ride down the thread.

After a few trips we decided to stack up some books and stand up some bad guys for the Batwing to smash into, and after I had a lot of footage I thought for a few minutes and told him, "Go get a Lego man that could be Commissioner Gordon, and your bat signal flashlight".

He watched me edit together this video, loved picking out sound effects and music, and now he's making a sequel all by himself. He's even talked me into showing him how to used the editing software and he's doing it too. I'll post it here when he's done, but for now, here's what I did over the weekend:

[YOUTUBE]bowpcz4MzUs[/YOUTUBE]

I used VideoPad Video editor by NCH to do the editing. It's really easy once you figure out how it works, or follow the tutorial, or read the directions. I forget how I learned, but it didn't take long. I use it to make all my rocket launch videos too.

Awe that's awesome! I've made a couple movies myself, either my RC cars, or...rockets if course!

I use the AVS4U software and I'm really happy with it, like you said, once i figured out how to use it.

I found it's one of very few programs that will rotate video to any orientation. You know, like the ones from some phones when you play back that you have to tilt your head to watch?!

Isn't it funny? I've spent -hours-, if not longer (much longer in some cases), and end up with a finished movie that is less than 3 minutes long. Splice, dice, copy, audio overlay, superimposing still shots, and the hundreds of choices for transitions and special effects??!

But then I, like you did, end up with amazing movies! Very much worth it!

I may have to check out that Video Pad, a quick glance at their site, it looks pretty decent. While I am pretty fluent with AVS, it is an 'older' program, maybe this one is better?

Last edited:
Man that is just awesome!! Grooming a budding film producer here! I'll have to show this to my boy tomorrow. He'll love it. Definitely post the sequel!

So Erik watched it tonight and said "That is pretty funny! Cool".

Funny you'd mention that.

McKaila watched it and said that almost verbatim.

Of course she also noticed the MINECRAFT book lol.

I showed her a few tips on how to use it, and she said she wants to download AVS for at moms house.

Haha nice! Do I hear a Wilhelm Scream in there?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream

Indeed. I showed my son a couple of videos on YouTube to explain to him how it's used in a lot of his favorite movies, and then he was very excited to use it in this one.

He's still working on his video but since I only let him work on it when I'm home, and after he's done with all his homework, he only gets about an hour on a school day. Finding the correct sound effects online takes as much time as filming all the segments.

As promised, here is the sequel. My son did nearly all of this himself. He came up with the storyline, did the editing, picked out the sound effects and the music, and decided it was ready to publish.

He's already planning yet another sequel.

[YOUTUBE]vGehbeF3kRY[/YOUTUBE]

Very fun, good stories, some shots might be held just a moment too long. There is lots of LEGO stop motion out there, for more inspiration. I assume you and your son have seen the trailers for The LEGO BATMAN Movie that comes out in Feb 2017?

Very fun, good stories, some shots might be held just a moment too long. There is lots of LEGO stop motion out there, for more inspiration. I assume you and your son have seen the trailers for The LEGO BATMAN Movie that comes out in Feb 2017?
Thanks for the criticism, I'll be sure and reduce the lengths of some shots next time. None of our stuff is stop motion, any motion is done either with legos pulled with thread, or being held in a hand off screen (mostly off screen, a finger or two may have made the final cut). But we're both very excited to see the new Lego Batman movie.

If we hadn't used copyrighted music we could have monetized these videos and maybe made some money, but it was more fun to use the music from the films and not worry about that.

Back