Video Capture

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11bravo

Reaction score
How do you guys capture video?
I'd like to get a DVD burner and some sort of capture device.
Looking for recommendations from users.
USB? PCI card?
I do have two available PCI slots as well as a nifty new USB hub.

TIA,

Greg

Greg,

I use a Firewire IEEE 1394 connection to capture video directly from my Sony video camera. Both my laptop and video camera have the built in Firewire ports. I have seen PCI interface cards available which include both high speed USB 2.0 and Firewire 1394 ports.

... Bill

Uh, yeah, OK.
Once again, I did not explain fully.
I don't have a video camera, yet.
Nor Firewire.
Looking for the time being (read also: for starters) to transfer VHS to DVD.
Looking around now for a PCI card that will give 1394 as well as RCA inputs to come from a VCR, but it could be USB.
SOMEDAY, I will have a camcorder with 1394 or something better by then maybe.
Turtle Beach seems to have just exactly what I'm looking for, but $160.

Greg

Make sure you get a package that includes the necessary video editing and DVD authoring software.

Windows XP comes with Windows Movie Maker which is great video editing, and creating WMV files for web distribution, but it doesn't have any DVD authoring ability. On the other hand Roxio Easy Media Creator is good at creating DVD's, but the video editing software that comes with it is horrendously bad. So what I usually do is edit the video in WMM, output it to an uncompressed AVI file, then render the DVD in Roxio.

vjp-
thanks for the heads up.
And Bill-
Rereading my follow up to you reply, I meant in no way to sound ungreatful; I tend to write as if readers are completely on the same sheet of music and not going into enough detail.
Anyway thanks to you guys and if anyone can comment on any particular hardware that they've used, that would be GREAT.

Greg

What you are looking for is a device to capture analog video (VHS, Hi-8, 8mm, VHS-C) and turn it into a digital format so you can do something with it in your computer (edit, add titles and effects export to DVD or video CD's). Well, there are a couple of ways to go about it....

Get a device that specifically digitizes analog video. Google "analog video capture", and you end up with a plethora of hits, an example would be the Pinnacle System's Dazzle Digital Video Creator which plugs into your USB port. Another, that uses an available PCI slot, is thePinnacle Studio AV/DV Version 8 . Plug the RCA plugs from your VHS player or analog camcorder into this device, and capture to your heart's content. I have never used either of these devices, so I can't say how it works. I do have an older device, the Pinnacle DV500 analog/digital capture card, which I still use when I want to edit something and output specifically to VHS. You either have it work flawlessly (and love it) or it has bugs (and you hate it) mine has never failed me in the 5 or so years I've had it. Technologey has moved along quickly, though and you don't necessarily need to use a dedicated device, and here's why.

Most digital video cameras have an "AV input", that is, a place where you can plug in an output from an analog video device, such as a VHS player, which serves as a pass-through digitizer. Then you capture through any IEEE 1394 Firewire card, which can be outrageously inexpensive. The only difference, for the most part, would be if you decide to get one that comes with either fancy editing software, or possibly comes with additional hardware support to do background rendering so you don't have to wait before it outputs back to video, etc. Most of the DV camcorders I've seen at WalMart in the $300-$400 range have analog inputs, although they may not look like the RCA plugs on the back of your stereo or VCR (Those are the red/white/yellow jacks) many use an adaptor cable that have the RCA jacks at one end, then a plug that looks like a Walkman mini-jack at the other end (takes up less space, especially important on a small camcorder....)

So the question is, which way to go? If you have a VHS camera and don't intend on upgrading to a digital video camera ever, then get an analog convertor. If you want the higher resolution of digital video (720x480) for any future projects, then it may ne worth biting the bullet and just buying a DV camcorder and getting a firewire card to use with it. Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Al

If you really want to get into DV, I am trying to barter off a Pinnacle DV500 frame grabber.

It's probably one of the best video capture cards made and I'll toss in all the software that came with it (including Adobe Premiere)

If you can stand a steep learning curve (this thing is the package of choice for broadcast quality work), drop me a PM and we can hash it out.

A

Al and Al-
(sounds like some sort of group of people with drinking troubles :p )
Thanks for the advice.
After looking around, I seem to be leaning towards the Turtle Beach Video Advantage PCI .
Seems to do what I want.
BUT, Al (rocket) I will definately look into the video camera/firewire card option that you mention.
I've been looking at the Sony MiniDV camcorders for a while, but of course, like everything else, the one I want costs too much and by the time it comes down a bit there is a better one that costs too much......
Al (H_R)-
To paraphrase the old commercial, "You've got PM."

Greg

Back