V2 Variation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevem

Reaction score
Seems the more rockets I build the more I must build.

a little something simple I've been working on is this V2 variation.

I got this picture off of someone's web site some time ago and I cannot for the life of me remember where I found it.

Does anyone recognize this picture and know where it came from?

It appears to be an A-6 version of the A-4 which we know as the V-2.

The A6 was proposed to the German Air Ministry as a rocket boosted, ram jet propelled manned supersonic photo reconnaissance aircraft. It was never built or tested.

https://www.astronautix.com/lvfam/v2.htm

thanks guys.

Before I started to post build pics I wanted to find out who originally drew this V2 variation.

Just want to be sure I give the credit for the design to the proper person.

build pics to follow soon

thats the first time I saw this twa version.. thats way out of reality- but interesting.

It is not A4-derived, though it was inspired by WWII German tech. That is Mark Wade's illustration of Tsien's Spaceplane, a rocket transport proposed in 1949 which would have flown passengers from new York to Los Angeles in forty-five minutes.

Tsien's story is a strange one, BTW, and had great implications on the development of rocket technology in the U.S. and in the P.R.C.

Incidentally, Tsien Hsue-shen's name is also transliterated as Qian Xuesen, explaining the title of the version of the image first posted above.

Articles about Tsien's life and career:

Astronautix
Wikipedia

sbow- thank you very much for that information.

Now that I know who gets the design credit I can post pictures!:D

here's the rocket so far.
I installed a BT60 tube into an Estes Canadian Arrow boat tail and the installed a 3x18mm MMT into the BT60.

the reason the body looks like more than one piece is because all I had in the scrap bin was some short pieces of BT80 so I pieced them together and used another piece of BT80 to make a coupler.

Estes Canadian Arrow and
Estes Canadian-Arrow-modified-into-a- V2 are shown for comparison

I'm new here - a B.A.R. for the second time around, hence BARX2. :) Your V-2 variant reminds me a lot of the Wasserfall surface to air missile. I've been a fan of V-2's for years and have built a couple, but they have long been sold off. I currently have the Estes 4" V-2 on the workbench, ready to start, but before I do, I'm going to build a Wasserfall based on the Estes Canadian Arrow. Thanks for the inspiration. Here's a pic of the Wasserfall.
wasserfallsa4.gif

Edited to turn off email notification...

Originally posted by stymye
thats the first time I saw this twa version.. thats way out of reality- but interesting.

Non-stop flights to London???:eek:

Back in WWII area (and just after) the *commercial* flight from New York to London included stops in New Foundland and Iceland (or Ireland, I don't remember) A non-stop flight from NY to London was a great feat for the time.

Then again, by the time I got on my first plane, planes could almost fly around the world. (born in the 70's)

-Aaron

Originally posted by heada
Back in WWII area (and just after) the *commercial* flight from New York to London included stops in New Foundland and Iceland (or Ireland, I don't remember) A non-stop flight from NY to London was a great feat for the time.

Then again, by the time I got on my first plane, planes could almost fly around the world. (born in the 70's)

-Aaron

I am thinking you missed the "joke".

now that's a strange post for this thread.

I wish there was an icon of a smilie scratching his head but this one will do > :confused:

Originally posted by rokitflite
I am thinking you missed the "joke".

yes, I was just reading about the F-14 and other planes...and I had normal flight stuck in my head. yeah, it was funny....and the fact that it flew right over my head makes it even more funny.

-Aaron

glad to hear that Aaron!

we were a little worried about you, especially with the "Mildly Insane" labell under your username!:D :D

I made decals and applied them last night.

here is the finishedrocket, weighs in at 6.1 oz as shown.

haven't started stabilty tesitng yet but there will be nose weight added for sure.

I've decided that the TWA on this one stands for:

Trans-Wasserfall-Airlines:D

Did you ever fly the TWA? :D
If so what motors and how did it do?
I made decals and applied them last night.

here is the finishedrocket, weighs in at 6.1 oz as shown.

haven't started stabilty tesitng yet but there will be nose weight added for sure.

I've decided that the TWA on this one stands for:

Trans-Wasserfall-Airlines:D

yep sure did!

it's flown twice with D12-3 motors

The first flight scorched the chute just enough to make it land hard and break a fin.

2nd flight was perfect

Steve

That't great and the rocket looks super. I always like when someone does something different than the norm.

How high did it get on the D12's and did you get any launch pics?
yep sure did!

it's flown twice with D12-3 motors

The first flight scorched the chute just enough to make it land hard and break a fin.

2nd flight was perfect

Steve

I knew I should have avoided this thread when I saw the title. So many cool ideas for V2s and variants. And the websites references were just too much. I'll never get all this stuff built if I keep working. I MUST retire soon!

"How high did it get on the D12's and did you get any launch pics?"

I'm guessing 350-400'

sorry no pics. I have been taking less pictures. The camera seems to get in the way of the 'experience'. I get so caught up in trying to get the picture that I miss the flight.

I need to get a better video camera so I can set it up on a tripod and let it run. Then, in addition to th video I can grab good still shots from the video. I hope. The one I have does not have a high enough shutter speed to get good stills.

"I'll never get all this stuff built if I keep working."

LOL! it'll be another 15 years before I can even think about retiring. But I'll run out of room to store rockets way before then!

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve.
I think you need a designated camera person or you could just mount the camera to the rocket.:D

As far as the retirement part well I'm retired and I don't have anymore time than I used to.
That's because everybody thinks I have nothing but time on my hands so they keep coming up with STUFF for me to do.:mad:
Ed
"How high did it get on the D12's and did you get any launch pics?"

I'm guessing 350-400'

sorry no pics. I have been taking less pictures. The camera seems to get in the way of the 'experience'. I get so caught up in trying to get the picture that I miss the flight.

I need to get a better video camera so I can set it up on a tripod and let it run. Then, in addition to th video I can grab good still shots from the video. I hope. The one I have does not have a high enough shutter speed to get good stills.

"I'll never get all this stuff built if I keep working."

LOL! it'll be another 15 years before I can even think about retiring. But I'll run out of room to store rockets way before then!

Steve

Race, I'm glad you resurrected this thread, that is a great looking rocket. Very nice Steve!

my apologies - its been awhile and I'm gettin old I guess

This TWA V2 variation did not fly on a D12-3, it flew on 3x C6-3 engines. The Camoflage V2 shown in the group picture flew on a D12-3.

:eek:

Your welcome Indiana, I have enough extra boat tails and nose cones to build 3 more CA variations of the V2 and I REALLY like this one.:D

Steve: Re-reading this thread I have become confused, which is not very hard to do.:lol:
In your earlier posts and as can clearing be seen in one of the build pictures (look below) you have a cluster of 3-18MM's.
When you flew however you said you used D12-3's. Did you redo the engine mount??:confused:
Race, I'm glad you resurrected this thread, that is a great looking rocket. Very nice Steve!

No apologies needed. Believe me I know how that happens. I'm lucky I can remember what I was,,,,,,,,,,,What was I saying again.:rotflol:

Old huh,,, Remember I'm retired.:(
Now I have to come up with a paint scheme for it. It's going to be hard to do better than you though.:)
my apologies - its been awhile and I'm gettin old I guess

This TWA V2 variation did not fly on a D12-3, it flew on 3x C6-3 engines. The Camoflage V2 shown in the group picture flew on a D12-3.

:eek:

Latest posts

Back