USR Stiletto

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalligood

Reaction score
I ordered a U.S. Rockets Stiletto a couple of weeks ago & have been working on it for the past few days... Only good things to report so far. Overall it is a 4" diameter 5FNC rocket that transitions about halfway along its length to 2.7" diameter. It also has a LARGE balsa nose cone. The Stiletto could be fairly easily modified for dual deployment. For being a rather tall rocket (~6ft), it can be worked on in smaller spaces because it's built in essentially 3 main pieces. No single piece of tubing is longer than 18" so the host mount & TTW fins are in one section, the transition from 4" to 2.7" tubing is the second section & then the payload bay/nose cone is the third section. Oh yeah, I almost forgot--there are a TON of parts!

My attraction to the Stiletto is that it has a transition that is a shroud formed from the larger 4" diameter tubing. USR is the only company that I know of that has this feature in any of their builds. This technique can be used to form not only transitions but boat tails & even nose cones--both of which can be found on their El Lubbo kit (I also happen to be in the finishing stages of that kit too!) The transition is made by cutting out several wedges around one end of the tube, then folding & gluing it to the smaller diameter (2.7") airframe tubing. Constructing the transition is probably the single most time consuming task during the build. Patience here is a must. Expect small gaps between these pieces and to be a little creative in finding a way to fill them.

Another standout feature is the interchangable motor mounts. The kit comes with sub-assemblies for 1 x 38mm, 1 x 29mm, & 4 x 24mm. Optional mounts include 3 x 29mm & 1 x 54mm. The sub-assemblies fit into a 2.7" mount in the main airframe. Friction fit with masking tape is sufficient however there is enough space in the aft 4" x 2.7" CR for a t-nut/screw/hook to clamp it mechanically.

Bulletproof motor retention on the 38mm & 29mm mounts can be done with masking tape. How? Well, with RMS casings in particular (which of course have a built in aft thrust ring) you can assemble the motor, slide it into the mount & then wrap masking tape generously & easily around the casing on the FORWARD end so that the casing cannot come out. (Look for pics of this soon...) Retention on the clustered mounts can be done by simple friction fit or mounting an all-thread rod with nut & washer in the center of the motor tubes for those wanting greater assurance. Regardless of which mount you use, you can secure the motors and then place the mount into the aft end of the rocket. Very, very cool...

I did make one small modification to the design: The instructions call for nose cone ejection. Transporting a 6 foot long rocket that doesn't come apart somewhere in the middle is not convenient or acceptable to most folks. Not to mention I personally *dread* having to paint anything that is longer than 3 feet. Breaking this rocket up was a must for me. I chose to not glue the (very robust I might add) 2.7" coupler into both 18" long 2.7" heavy gauge tubes. Instead I cut a bulkhead from 1/8" birch & glued it inside the coupler giving me a nice payload section. There is still 15" available in the other tube for wadding, shock cord, & chute (which the builder is expected to supply on his own). There is a baffled bulkhead to keep the chute from getting stuck down in the larger airframe section, but it is still close enough to the motor mount that wadding (or in my case, Nomex heat shield) is needed.

All parts are robust yet lightweight, typical for USR kits. Plan is to launch it in a couple of weeks. I want to challenge myself by seeing how fast I can launch it consecutively on a 29mm motor (probably H238T) & then a 38mm motor (Pro38 I205). Why? Because it will be so easy to do with those motor mounts! :D :cool:

Pics & more notes from the build desk soon... Here's a parts pic though. Wow! Look at all that stuff :eek:

And here's a semi-close up shot of the completed transition...

More work completed so that means more pictures!

Here's a display of the 3 Interchange Mounts (tm). 38mm on the left, 29mm in the middle, & 4x24mm on the right. Masking tape is needed for proper fit.

...and the completed aft section. I will probably not glue this to the transition section until after I fill the small gaps in the transition (easier to work & handle the smaller parts).

Originally posted by lalligood
...and the completed aft section. I will probably not glue this to the transition section until after I fill the small gaps in the transition (easier to work & handle the smaller parts).

I was thinking of adding to the instructions what I do. Friction fit the lower section together with tape and put a layer of cosmetic electrical tape over the outside joint. Easy transport and repair.

Also considering upgrading the upper section to a payload section. Stiletto needs MORE PARTS and LONGER INSTRUCTIONS :)

Jerry

Originally posted by Jerry Irvine
I was thinking of adding to the instructions what I do. Friction fit the lower section together with tape and put a layer of cosmetic electrical tape over the outside joint. Easy transport and repair.

Also considering upgrading the upper section to a payload section. Stiletto needs MORE PARTS and LONGER INSTRUCTIONS :)

Jerry

The instruction do mention friction fitting the lower & middle sections together, so my comments before were purely my owns words/actions/decisions. I am the one now (re)considering using the technique you have just described. Cosmetic electrical tape would even work with my planned paint scheme too ;)

If I were to add any additional parts to the Stiletto kit (above & beyond the bulkhead I have already added), it would be a ready-to-go altimeter bay. The Stiletto is SO versatile right out of the box, that's the only thing that would make it the ultimate expression of versatility. I would think that you would only need the following parts to be added to the kit:
2 bulkheads
1 1-2" section of 2.7" tubing (although the builder could cut it from one of the existing tubes)
1 (more) screw eye
1 small piece of birch ply for altimeter sled
all-thread or wood dowel for mounting sled (if needed at all)
(Might be more parts but that's a good start, no?)

I have to admit that as a MPR/HPR flyer with ZERO dual deploy experience, I have wished for a boxed 'solution' so that I could get "kit A" + "altimeter B" = "dual deploy for dummies" (or newbies, if you will). IMO, first time builder fabrications are, generally speaking, more likely to result in initial failures. Having a known good working design to build from would be far more beneficial & increase (initial) success rate. With a successful example in hand, it makes it easier for the builder to duplicate for scratch/custom designs.

As far as the current Stiletto instructions, I feel that they are ample for the kit as is. It's clear in the website information that the kit is intended for advanced builders & the instructions are written to that level. Only need longer instructions if there's more parts added ;)

OK, I'm finished with the build and it's in primer as I type this. I don't think I'll have the Stiletto paint finished in time to fly it this weekend but why should that stop me?!? :cool:

Here's a pic of the completed rocket before primer (dare I say, naked! :eek: )

Planning on flying it this weekend on either a 29mm H128 or H180 & then a 38mm I205. More pics & flight report then...

Here's a pic of the completed rocket before primer (dare I say, naked! :eek: )

That's my very favorite view of my very favorite rocket.

You therefore rule!

:eek:

Took the Stiletto to the field with me today but the weather turned ugly before I was able to launch it. Quite a few fellow rocketeers gave it a good looking over. It scored very high marks for design, light weight, & versatility with the Interchange Mount. Their reaction didn't surprise me in the least :)

Next month...it will launch next month ;)

I have to admit that as a MPR/HPR flyer with ZERO dual deploy experience, I have wished for a boxed 'solution' so that I could get "kit A" + "altimeter B" = "dual deploy for dummies" (or newbies, if you will). IMO, first time builder fabrications are, generally speaking, more likely to result in initial failures. Having a known good working design to build from would be far more beneficial & increase (initial) success rate. With a successful example in hand, it makes it easier for the builder to duplicate for scratch/custom designs.

I totally agree with this. I know PML has their CPR system, but that uses a technique, and parts, that are unique to their designs. A kit, that uses more common methods, and arrangements would be nice. Also, one in which the altimeter mounting could be easily adapted to other rockets.
(hint hint Jerry).

Originally posted by astrowolf67
I totally agree with this. I know PML has their CPR system, but that uses a technique, and parts, that are unique to their designs. A kit, that uses more common methods, and arrangements would be nice. Also, one in which the altimeter mounting could be easily adapted to other rockets.
(hint hint Jerry).

Be VERY careful what you wish for :)

The weather here in Central Florida was pretty doggone accomodating for painting this weekend. I put a serious dent in my stock of Krylon ;) One of my major accomplishements this weekend was getting my USR Stiletto finished. And finish it I did :D I was going for a retro NASA-esque paint scheme... Ithink I succeeded!

Now if the weather could be as accomodating in a few weeks so I can launch it a couple of times. First on a AeroTech H180W then a Pro38 I205 :cool:

Lance-

The paint job is awesome! Can't wait to see the launch pics! Do you have a shot with anything for scale? That thing should really move out on an H and I if it's as light as the other USR kits I've seen.:D

Originally posted by RocketmanTM
Lance-

The paint job is awesome! Can't wait to see the launch pics! Do you have a shot with anything for scale? That thing should really move out on an H and I if it's as light as the other USR kits I've seen.:D

Since you asked oh-so-nicely... Here's a "family portrait" of the Stiletto along with all of the USR kits I've completed to date (currently there is a Mosquito 2.2 & Sentra SRB 2.7 under construction...) Yeah, I'm a serious fan of USR kits. Can't you tell?!? :D

BTW, with the 38mm Interchange Mount but without parachute the Stiletto weighs in at a seemingly anorexic 32oz! It weighs less than my PML Phobos, which is only 2.25" diameter & over a foot shorter than the USR Stiletto! :eek: But don't let the light weight mislead anyone to thinking that this kit is weak. Oh no! It's solid as any kit I've ever built, trust me!

Anyhoo, enjoy the pic... [Left to right: El Lubbo, Weightlofter, Stiletto, Miniroc 1.2, & Banshee.]

That's the most "beautiful" Stiletto I have ever seen.

I like to fly it best with 4xD12-0 to 4xD12-7 or G30-4.

Jerry

Jerry

Ohh...Drop staging! I never thought of that... :rolleyes:

Glad you like it. I've got another pic too--this is one of it in 3 sections. Jerry has suggested that the aft & middle sections can be friction fit along with a wrap of electrical tape along the outside seam for aesthetics to hold them together. This allows for easier transportation. I'm going to give it a try!

Jerry

I forgot to mention the LEGENDARY SU 54mm I65-8!

Be SURE to look at the Vendors forum USR website update news for a good news surprise :)

Jerry

Lance,

I might be buying a stiletto also, have you launched it yet? If so, how does it fly?

Steve

Originally posted by XAVIEN
Lance,

I might be buying a stiletto also, have you launched it yet? If so, how does it fly?

Steve

I haven't yet. Next launch for me will be Saturday, February 19th. I'm planning on launching it twice--first on a 29/240 H180W-M followed by a Pro38 I205. I'll probably borrow the 30" chute from my PML Phobos & use motor ejection for both flights.

The Stiletto is a great looking rocket. It looks fast just sitting on the ground :)

Saturday's launch was a rough day for me. 3 flights, 3 failures (to an extent). First my Weightlofter only had 3 of 4 motors ignite (thankfully the center one was one that DID light!), and my Banshee was the last flight which suffered a shock cord separation. However, both parts were recovered. Launching the USR Banshee on a H238T-M was insane! :eek: I gotta do that again :D

Anyhoo, my Stiletto only got one of its two planned flights in. On the H180W-M, the payload tube came back after ejection & clobbered one of the fins, cleanly removing it from the rocket :( The rocket WILL fly again as soon as I get it replaced...

So here are some pics from the day...

First up is me loading it onto the rail.

And finally, on the way down. The PML 30" chute was the right size for this rocket... Look carefully & you can only count 1, 2, 3, 4 fins. Where's #5?? :confused: Gone :(

I like the Stiletto review posted to EMRR (rocketreviews.com) today.

Thank you :) I only wish I could have flown it twice for the review... I'm bummed that the payload knocked one of the fins clean off :(

I'm bummed that the payload knocked one of the fins clean off :(

Shoulda followed the instructions or deployed in two pieces.

:D

Jerry

You may benefit from epoxy construction in this case. That or a long TN or Kevlar shock cord. I've heard of a fin maybe dinging the paint of a payload section, but if it knocks the fin clean off on a rocket capable of 54mm flights, something is wrong.

Epoxy has it's place, no doubt about it. Wood glue just doesn't do it for me. Save it for the balsa finned C powered models.

Originally posted by DPatell
You may benefit from . . . a long TN . . . shock cord.

. . . if it knocks the fin clean off on a rocket capable of 54mm flights, something is wrong.

False.

On a "mass sensitive" LPR/HPR rocket (weight limit 125g/1500g FAA), no.

Jerry

Back