USR El Lubbo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalligood

Reaction score
OK, I've mentioned in a couple of threads that I've been working on a U.S. Rockets El Lubbo. I suppose now would be a good time to present the fruits of my labor. Actually it isn't finished yet, but I am in the midst of putting the final coats of glossy paint on it...

First off, the El Lubbo is a true builder's kit and is certainly unlike anything I have built before. That is because there is no plastic or balsa nose cone! You have to (ready for this?) make it from a piece of tubing.

Say what...??

You heard me correctly. The nose cone is fabricated from a piece of 4" tubing. USR has some excellent documentation included with the kit on creating transitions, boat tails, and even nose cones from tubing. It is not a fast process to do this. Those looking for a quick build, please pass on by...These are not the droids you are looking for. Something like that anyway :D While labor intensive, you are going to have a rocket unlike any other at the field.

Bottom line is imagine a 4" diameter and almost 4" tall rocket with a 29mm motor mount. Sounds like your typical L1 cert bird, right? OK, now imagine the suprise when you find out that it weighs WELL *UNDER* ONE POUND. How is this done? Well, with the nose cone made from a piece of tubing, the boat tail uses the same technique to be created--and that design feature allows for the 1/4" thick solid balsa fins to have plenty of support. The conical nose cone and boat tail should make up nicely for any performance loss from the large diameter tubing too.

The El Lubbo (as the builder is carefully warned in the instruction manual) that motors with average thrust greater than 20 pounds should not be used. So anything up to a G80 should work fine. There is even a 29-24mm motor adapter so I bet you could even get it off the ground on something like a E15. Would a D12-3 work?!? Maybe? :confused: I'll probably stick to G64s though ;) Long burning, low thrust motors

With the complicated build techniques, I would NOT recommend this kit to beginners. I have logged quite a few hours into getting this one built, but it has been worth it!

See below for pics...

Here's the fin can before putting the tubing on for the boat tail.

And the piece de resistance, the nose cone. I used some card stock over the tip to provide extra strength (but keeping weight down) for any potentially rough landings. Strips of paper were used inside the nose cone to help increase the surface area for the glue to hold the tubing together. The nose cone was smoothed out with Bondo & Fill 'n' Finish to give it a seamless look.

Finished pics will be coming in the next few days.

Enjoy ;)

I can't believe this technique hasn't been cloned over the years. Especially for tial cones. Very nice!

I've seen a similar technique used, but with more cuts to make a slightly "rounder" outline. It's a good design technique to have in your "tool box".

yea, that is a very clever way to make a boat tail and nose cone. WOuld be great to implement that in a paper rocket download.

jim

I got home from work tonight & finished off the last bit of the final paint work. Whew! This is far & away the longest it has ever taken for me to complete a rocket. Now to fly it in a little over one week from now (Jan 15th).

Here's the completed rocket :cool:

That tail cone came out looking nice. Definately a good tequnique.

Got a chance to fly El Lubbo today on a G64-7W. TOTALLY SWEET :D In hindsight it probably wasn't the smartest decision to use that motor on such a windy day but I don't regret flying it! It wasted no time in scooting off the pad and had a LOUD whistle--a whistle that easily rivaled that of my BSD Thor on a Pro38 I285! A pleasant surprise :) Ejection was right at apogee and the light nylon chute brought it down quickly but safely. Because of the wind though, I still had nearly a 1/4 mile hike to retrieve it. I just wish the weather would have been more cooperative today :rolleyes:

Here's an excellent pic of it just coming off the rail...

And another pic of it quickly gaining speed under thrust...

BTW, look for a full review on EMRR very, very soon!

szswedet - loosely translated from Kitty Cat typing, "sweet!"

Back to human speak...

Awesome job, Lance! Not sure I want this particular kit, but I did receive my Sonic 2200 in the mail today! droool!

Jason

Originally posted by lalligood
Got a chance to fly El Lubbo today on a G64-7W. TOTALLY SWEET :D It wasted no time in scooting off the pad and had a LOUD whistle

Remember, the rocket was designed for MINUMUM power :)

Congrats!

Jerry

Piston launched D12-3!

I've made cut the BT to make the nose cone. Just in temporary mode I have tried taping the pieces together, and I am having some difficulty holding the sides an even distance inward so a nice balanced cone results.
What (if anything) have others used to keep the sides evenly pushed in? Would an actual nose cone say 3 inches work? That is the biggest one I have right now.
Suggestions welcome...

Originally posted by tnrocketman
I've made cut the BT to make the nose cone. Just in temporary mode I have tried taping the pieces together, and I am having some difficulty holding the sides an even distance inward so a nice balanced cone results.
What (if anything) have others used to keep the sides evenly pushed in? Would an actual nose cone say 3 inches work? That is the biggest one I have right now.
Suggestions welcome...

You *have* to make the relief cuts at the base of what will be the cone. You risk badly kinking (even ruining) the cone if you don't. Paper is surprisingly unflexible at times, isn't it???

The key is to make small cuts & gently try folding it. Slightly enlarge the relief cut. Repeat until you get the desired result.

And above all: HAVE PATIENCE. This is IMHO *MUCH* more difficult than making the transition shrouds than what you do in the Stiletto and Sentra kits.

HTH,

thanks for posting the great pics ... a G powered Bomb Pop !

Originally posted by lalligood
You *have* to make the relief cuts at the base of what will be the cone. You risk badly kinking (even ruining) the cone if you don't.
Oh, I have made and continue to trim the relief cuts carefully as I bend-- I am not having an issue with the pieces binding, just with trying to assure each side is inward the SAME amount on all sides so the point is perfectly centered.

Does that make it more clear?

Originally posted by tnrocketman
Oh, I have made and continue to trim the relief cuts carefully as I bend-- I am not having an issue with the pieces binding, just with trying to assure each side is inward the SAME amount on all sides so the point is perfectly centered.

Does that make it more clear?

Yup. Keep doin' what ya doin' :)

Back