Using old decals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfaBrewer

Reaction score
I'm currently finishing an "older" rocket. My Father-in-Law gave me a Mars Snooper 2 he had bought several years ago. I did the actual build about 10 years ago, but was a little disappointed in how some of the joints turned out and put it aside (IIRC). I've finally gotten over whatever my hang up was and painted the thing. Any particular tips or techniques for using the 35-ish year old water slide decals?

I don't remember having any problems with the Cougar decals that were the same age, but I built that rocket about 15 years ago.

If they are yellowed try putting them in a sunny window for a while.

Then coat the decals with liquid decal film so they don't crumble on you.

If none of that seems to work just go to my web site and order replacements.;)

Sometimes you just can't save them... :( That has happened to me with some 35+yo decals on my model planes... got some on ebay:wink:

Well, I just tried putting on the decals, and they disintegrated on me. I didn't even get the first one out of the water.

Sandman - check for a PM.

Well, I just tried putting on the decals, and they disintegrated on me. I didn't even get the first one out of the water.

Sandman - check for a PM.

Got it, reply sent.

Really...your Mars Snooper II decals were black?

Anybody else ever seen Mars Snooper II decals from the factory that were black?:confused:

I hadn't ever seen them in black either, which is one of the reasons I'm anxious to finish this rocket.

I hadn't ever seen them in black either, which is one of the reasons I'm anxious to finish this rocket.

Your decals are ready along with the others you asked for.

I'm just waiting to hear from you.;)

I'M FAST!!:D

Tip for using very old (30+yr) Decals:
Sorry I saw this thread so late:(
Tape them down on a flat surface and give them a light coat or two of UV resistant clear or MicroScale Decal film. Go easy on them, trying not to bend the sheet until it's been resprayed or recoated.
After a day or so they should be as usable as if they were printed yesterday:)
Hope this helps on a future project.

Last edited:
I got some new decals from Gordy (Sandman) and tried the clear coat tip from John (Micromeister) on the originals. I was able to use the circular decals and the three stripe sets for the landing gear from the originals. The stripes on the top, the name and the thin stripes on the fins are new.

I still need to put a coat of clear on the whole thing, but want to try some of the decal softener stuff (Micro Sol, I think) to see if the old decals will conform a little better on the landing gear pods.

Anyhow, here's the results:

IMAG0029.jpg

I kinda like the black decals.

I'll have to leave the black ones in my files.:wink:

I still need to put a coat of clear on the whole thing, but want to try some of the decal softener stuff (Micro Sol, I think) to see if the old decals will conform a little better on the landing gear pods.
It is good stuff. If need be try more than one application. Walthers, a model RR supplier, has Solvaset which is more potent but some decals and it do not play well together.

Back