Updates...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so that's likely going to stretch the limit of peoples patience and limits how long they want to watch a video. so maybe you should do volume 1 and volume 2
Last year, I got it down to two 1-hour videos. I think I’ll just focus on one 1-hour recap… the best launch from each day. I already have a MPR montage so will focus mostly on LPR.

As you did, I noticed a chuff in a BP motor on the video. To add to the speculation, I think it is an imperfection in the BP such as air or a crack.
Nothing that would cause too much of a concussion to the onboard astronauts, maybe…

New Years Eve morning on a gorgeous Hawaiian winter day plus unsecret park messages

More excellent holiday weather. Winter is the best time here because the sun doesn't try to kill you like in the summer. We still cower under the shade tent. The GoPro10 had a glitch for about three of the rockets. When I started it, the screen said the cam was overheating so taped wading over it to shade from the sun. It started working immediately. Both the 10 and 8 are voice-controlled. I call them my minions, but sometimes they don't listen to me. For the three rockets, the 10 would stop recording when I told it to start recording and start when I told it to stop. That's okay. I have several cams so if one fails, no big deal.

During the live stream, Carrie Ro (whom I don't believe we're met before) said in chat that a note was left for us on the light pole and the building. Unfortunately, it looks like both were removed. The park management probably thought we were up to no good. Real cool nonetheless, sorta like geocaching.

I didn't feel like risking the new 60fps cam on the Astron Explorer and Star Orbiter because I knew they were going high. I used the AC cam on both that landed in the swimming pool. I didn't stick it in rice but instead left it on my hot lanai with the direct sun on concrete along with the BB4 rocket and altimeter. After two days, the motor slid right out of the rocket. The altimeter was toast but wouldn't trust it anyways. Because this was the AC cam that I replaced the Lipo with a 100mAh battery, I opened it up and cleaned with 91% rubbing alcohol. Maybe the fact that it landed in the pool instead of the dirty canal helped.

Since both rockets landed fine in the park, I used the 60fps cam. I didn't realize until after watching the flight video how close it came to the lights. Over the years, we've gotten really good at getting the rockets out of the average sized trees. In fact, the wind storm two weeks ago not only cleared out the dead foliage from the trees, it moved the Aloun Fad rocket where it's within reach. The FS Mini has been encased in the payload section so should be fine. I don't expect the AC cam to work but would be cool if we could get the SD card like before with the BDCP.

I'm not sure why I decided to try the C18-6FJ in the Diamondback. Perhaps I had a death wish for it. The motor had the new clay formulation that Quest is using. Gary was mostly flying composites this day. The E30 motors were crazy fast in the relatively light rockets. With the Cool Spool landing on the roof and rolling off, I told him it's a good thing he didn't fly the square spool rocket. After looking at the ground cam, it looks like the Cinco's C11-0 did Cato about 10 feet off the ground. It was hard to tell because it wasn't as dramatic as the Stealth's E16-0 Cato with a date code that looks like it's from 2013.

0:00 Dual Astron Explorer E12-4 - 669ft 8pts
2:13 Flight video RR *Astron Explorer
3:19 Diamondback C18-6FJ 3pts
4:24 Gary's Minotaur, E30-4T
5:44 Gary's Rebel John, E30-4T
6:52 Star Orbiter E16-4 - 778ft 7pts
8:32 Flight video RR
9:44 Gary's Smokin Rebel, D22-4
10:47 Gary's Cinco, C11-0
11:22 Gary's Stealth, E16-0
12:09 Gary's Cool Spool, F15-4
13:18 BD Leviathan F67-4W 741ft 7pts
15:12 Flight video RR
17:30 Aerospace One C5-3 - 294ft 5pts
18:36 Mike's Sasha D12-0/C11-7
19:34 Gary's Twin Factor, A10-0/A10-3T
20:03 Gary's Tristar, QJet B4-4
20:37 Unsecret messages in the park
Total 30pts + 10 bonus = 40pts

Launching 5 old Q-jet motors and two guests at the park on mild Hawaiian winter day

Since the winds were forecasted to be under 5mph, I took this opportunity to use up most of the Q-jet E26-4W and D22-4W that I had bought at the end of 2021. It turned out that Quest changed the formulation of their clay because the nozzles were cracking in humid air. I suspected that many of the tangential flights I was having were because of cracked nozzles but had no proof so made sure I had video of before/after and the date codes. I then sent the results to Quest. Of the five Q-jets, two of the three E26 motors had anomalies and both D22 motors were fine. I still have another pack of D22 motors so assuming these are fine also and will use them in better rockets.

We had 2.5 guests joining us today. Jason heard about our launch from Joe at the LHS (Hobbyco.co) who probably got it from our Facebook page, Hawaii Rockets. About 30 minutes later, James and his son, Pierce showed up with rockets and launch pad. Turns out he got rockets for Christmas and went to the park then met us. He launched about 8 rockets going around 700ft up. Fortunately, all of them landed within the park, several of them just at the edge. I can't tell each apart in the video so combined them at the end.

I had a feeling my Aerospace One wasn't going to launch. There was a tremendous amount of dew on the ground, and this might be interfering with the controllers until the dew finally evaporated around 10am so was having some troubles with continuity. Turns out the 12v recharger timed out at T-2 seconds, so only Gary's launched. I had the altimeter in mine. I forgot I wanted to include the 60fps cam which is too bad because it was a straight up flight.

My Majestic clone launched but suffered similar anomalies as the Vapor which had a snapped shock cord from the early ejection. The Majestic instead had it's eyelet pulled out of the payload section (easily fixed). Both motors had the same date code but came from different packs. If you look closely in the flight photos, you can see the motor falling out and later landing on the ground. I'm missing one of my new Estes altimeters. I thought I included it in the Mini Executioner but don't see it in the video, so it may have fallen off. By this time, the continuity with the 12v Thomas controller wasn't working so switched to my backup 6v Estes controller which barely ignited the D22 motor.

0:00 Intro
0:34 Vapor E26-4W 3pts
3:57 Gary's Aerospace One C5-3
4:54 Aerospace One C5-3 - 340ft 4pts
6:11 Gild Navigator E26-4W 1048ft 5pts
8:42 Majestic dual launch E26-4W/E16-4 292ft 5pts
10:02 Flight video
11:07 Helios D22-4W 839ft 5pts
13:49 Ascender, F15-6
15:03 Mini Executioner D22-4W 3pts
17:33 Triplet Factor 4pts
19:15 James and Pierce rockets
Total 29pts + 10 bonus = 39pts

You were putting them up there. First time I saw 1000+ feet from that location. Pretty daring on that small field. Keep up the good work.
Technically, we're supposed to keep it under 800ft. Over that is pushing the envelope. I've had two up past 1200ft with the HoJo landing in the park. I've lost the first HoJo to the gym roof when the chute failed. The replacement has been much luckier.

What material was the black Vapor shock cord made from? Can't tell from the video, is it elastic or perhaps nylon?
I use 1/4" fabric elastic. I generally avoid it with the 29mm small diameter rockets and use Kevlar only but haven't had a lot of luck with just Kevlar. I find the fabric elastic doesn't easily tangle. The E26 in the Vapor ejected early while under impulse. If the elastic hadn't snapped, probably woulda been a zipper.

I use 1/4" fabric elastic. I generally avoid it with the 29mm small diameter rockets and use Kevlar only but haven't had a lot of luck with just Kevlar. I find the fabric elastic doesn't easily tangle. The E26 in the Vapor ejected early while under impulse. If the elastic hadn't snapped, probably woulda been a zipper.
I've been using Kevlar on the lower section of the shock cord, with elastic up top to allow some "give". But for heavier birds, I like what North Coast does - Kevlar in parallel with the elastic. Just finishing up a Leviathan with that combo.

Hans.

I've been using Kevlar on the lower section of the shock cord, with elastic up top to allow some "give". But for heavier birds, I like what North Coast does - Kevlar in parallel with the elastic. Just finishing up a Leviathan with that combo.

Hans.
That's what I usually do with my LPR. Doesn't work so well with early ejection Catos. :) The white thing is an AC cam holder my friend, Roger printed for me. The cam popped out on impact but was found nearby.

1673463314415.png

I also like what NCR does. It usually works except for the last time when my Bounty Hunter got tangled up.
1673463541285.png

I also like what NCR does. It usually works except for the last time when my Bounty Hunter got tangled up.
View attachment 556481
My Bounty Hunter has landed like that. I ended up putting in a swivel, it's helped a lot. Plus I braid the Kevlar section, tape the "knot" in the braid, and then a few bits of tape attaching it to the elastic. Kind of a PITA, but it's worked for me.

Hans.

My Bounty Hunter has landed like that. I ended up putting in a swivel, it's helped a lot. Plus I braid the Kevlar section, tape the "knot" in the braid, and then a few bits of tape attaching it to the elastic. Kind of a PITA, but it's worked for me.

Hans.
You have both the elastic and Kevlar attached to a large swivel at the payload? If not, I'd like to see what you have.

I also try to braid the Kevlar and use a loose bit of tape. I probably didn't do a good job of it this time. The chute deployed but didn't fully open. Too bad because the rocket would've returned to the pad.

You have both the elastic and Kevlar attached to a large swivel at the payload? If not, I'd like to see what you have.

I also try to braid the Kevlar and use a loose bit of tape. I probably didn't do a good job of it this time. The chute deployed but didn't fully open. Too bad because the rocket would've returned to the pad.
I like the parachute to be a little ways away from the payload or nose cone. So there is a roughly 6' stretch of Kevlar from the end of the elastic/Kevlar duo to the payload eyebolt, with a loop in that line for the parachute attachment. It's at that junction that I put a swivel in.

Hans.

Launching 5 old Q-jet motors and two guests at the park on mild Hawaiian winter day

Since the winds were forecasted to be under 5mph, I took this opportunity to use up most of the Q-jet E26-4W and D22-4W that I had bought at the end of 2021. It turned out that Quest changed the formulation of their clay because the nozzles were cracking in humid air. I suspected that many of the tangential flights I was having were because of cracked nozzles but had no proof so made sure I had video of before/after and the date codes. I then sent the results to Quest. Of the five Q-jets, two of the three E26 motors had anomalies and both D22 motors were fine. I still have another pack of D22 motors so assuming these are fine also and will use them in better rockets.

We had 2.5 guests joining us today. Jason heard about our launch from Joe at the LHS (Hobbyco.co) who probably got it from our Facebook page, Hawaii Rockets. About 30 minutes later, James and his son, Pierce showed up with rockets and launch pad. Turns out he got rockets for Christmas and went to the park then met us. He launched about 8 rockets going around 700ft up. Fortunately, all of them landed within the park, several of them just at the edge. I can't tell each apart in the video so combined them at the end.

I had a feeling my Aerospace One wasn't going to launch. There was a tremendous amount of dew on the ground, and this might be interfering with the controllers until the dew finally evaporated around 10am so was having some troubles with continuity. Turns out the 12v recharger timed out at T-2 seconds, so only Gary's launched. I had the altimeter in mine. I forgot I wanted to include the 60fps cam which is too bad because it was a straight up flight.

My Majestic clone launched but suffered similar anomalies as the Vapor which had a snapped shock cord from the early ejection. The Majestic instead had it's eyelet pulled out of the payload section (easily fixed). Both motors had the same date code but came from different packs. If you look closely in the flight photos, you can see the motor falling out and later landing on the ground.

I'm missing one of my new Estes altimeters. I thought I included it in the Mini Executioner but don't see it in the video, so it may have fallen off. Update: I visited the park two days later and found it about 50ft from where the rocket landed. The screen has some water damage but still seems to be working. By this time, the continuity with the 12v Thomas controller wasn't working so switched to my backup 6v Estes controller which barely ignited the D22 motor.

0:00 Intro
0:34 Vapor E26-4W 3pts
3:57 Gary's Aerospace One C5-3
4:54 Aerospace One C5-3 - 340ft 4pts
6:11 Gild Navigator E26-4W 1048ft 5pts
8:42 Majestic dual launch E26-4W/E16-4 292ft 5pts
10:02 Flight video
11:07 Helios D22-4W 839ft 5pts
13:49 Ascender, F15-6
15:03 Mini Executioner D22-4W 677ft? 3pts
17:33 Triplet Factor 4pts
19:15 James and Pierce rockets
Total 29pts + 10 bonus = 39pts

You posted this yesterday:questions:

My clone Doorknob is ready for initial launch tomorrow. I converted a DBRM to a four fin tube and used the Launch Lab plywood kit. I then realized I had a 6” section left over from repairing the DBCP and decided to make an optional payload. I’ll finish the rest of the decals after I get it back tomorrow.

CBCC4642-CACE-4CBF-9816-4C4CA14AA7F9.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice paint job :goodjob: :bravo:
Thanks. This was the first time using the technique of painting the edges of the blue tape with the base color with a small brush so it seals the gaps between the tape and surface. Worked great. A few spots bled but nothing I couldn't easily scrape away. I was using vinyl tape which tends to pull up on the paper.

Two launch weekend at Waipahu and Blaisdell

Saturday was supposed to be a low wind day which was true below 100ft but above that, was 10mph. My goal was to try the new Doorknob clone. I also wanted to test the 12v battery I bought. I foolishly found out my recharger doesn't actually recharge the battery so will need to figure out a safe way. It looks like after Sunday, the battery went down 1/2 volt. I launched the Super Neon to test the high winds and ended up in a tree so pulled out other contingencies.

The dual Hi-flier XL launch was epic. Last week, I realized I was missing the Estes Altimeter from the Mini Executioner. Two days later, I went back to the field and quickly found it which was amazing. Part of the screen was damaged (probably from the sprinklers) but still working. The clip had pulled out, probably at ejection. I used the same altimeter in my Hi-flier XL with the same result except we couldn't find it on the field. It's possible that someone found it. Afterwards, I figured out one of the DARC-1 fins was wonky so moved it back in to place and tacked it down with thin CA.

The Mars Probe was lucky to have landed between the buildings. The Q-jet nozzle was fine with the protective washer they added to the clay nozzle. It kinda looked like it stuck on the rod but not sure. There was minor damage to a strut. From the last video, Quest is sending me two packs of E26-4W and some extra initiators. I'm all out because the small ones keep misfiring.

At Blaisdell, Joe from Hobbyco hosted the launch for a sizeable crowd this time. Maybe everyone was excited about launching their Christmas presents. (I wonder how Santa makes rocket motors in the North Pole?) The winds were variable from 3 to 10 mph. I finally figured out where the launch line was, difficult because of the tall grass. There was probably about 20 kids and 5 launch pads going. I met Garrett who prepped his Dactyl and Glider clones. They didn't glide very far but then again, they didn't end up in Pearl Harbor. Garrett has been building and launching rockets since the 70s so doesn't like launching. Plenty of kids around willing to push the button.

One kid had a SLS and Athena but no launch pad so used mine to much success. He kept coming up with a prepped rocket and I put 'em on the launch pad. I only launched the Mega Vortico which seemed to have stuck on the rod (which was clean). I just need to move it higher on the rod. Afterwards, Joe graciously gave one SLS rocket to each family including us.

0:00 Dual Hi-flier XL D12-5 - 5pts
2:22 Gary's Mars Leaper A10-PT
2:33 Super Neon C6-5 3pts
3:48 DARC-1 C5-3 4pts
4:49 Mars Probe D16-4FJ 4pts
6:09 Gary's Loc Onyx, E16-4
7:11 Mongoose C6-0/A8-5 5pts
8:34 Garrett's Glider
10:39 SLS C6-3
10:58 Garrett's Dactyl
12:02 Athena
13:51 SLS C6-3
15:07 Garrett's Dactyl
15:34 Athena
16:37 Interceptor B4-4
15:48 SLS C6-3
17:31 Garrett's Dactyl
18:24 Interceptor C6-5
19:23 Mega Vortico D22-4W 2pts
20:20 Total 23pts + 20 bonus = 43pts

Two launches at Waipahu and WCC with two flight videos and many altimeters

Gary and I launched at Waipahu and then at WCC with the NASA students. The 60fps cam worked well despite the low altitudes. I suspected and finally figured out that the audio does lag -0.2 seconds. This is an easy fix in the avidemux program.
The Mini Executioner was a relaunch of the D22 that previously flopped when the chute stuck in the tube. The Estes altimeter glitched so had to wait until the screen reset. It initially showed 0ft and previous reading was 741ft, but this was the same altitude the BD Leviathan had two weeks ago. It probably didn't detect the launch. The rocket looked like it went that high so going with it.

My Doorknob clone is from a DBRM kit with the Launch Lab plywood kit. I converted the tube from 3 to 4 TTW fins. The sim showed it would work fine on a 4ft rod at 48ft/s on an E20-4W. Apparently not because it angled over slightly. Luckily, I got it back when it landed in a driveway. I subsequently installed rail buttons for a 6ft rail launch and include the 6in payload section I added.

I was hoping the Aerospace One would glide with the cam on top. Still had a nice glide down. Gary had another overpressure which blew a hole in the side of his rocket but this time with a C12. I haven't had an overpressure yet so only a matter of time. The Odyssey may have spiraled because of the cam which only weighs 17g. The Qualman baffle almost pulled out again. I think it overcomes the old glue. I used a dowel to slide it back into place and apply new glue. Gary's Trajector had a massive Cato. In the video, you can see the clay nozzle raining down on the pad. Too bad the ground cam was in photo mode at the time.

I landed 2 of the 3 rockets I launched at Windward. The winds were coming out of the south, so we had to point our rockets toward the no man's land on the hospital grounds. I mostly expected poor results so launched expendable rockets. I also launched a Spirit that landed fine but no video.

Jake launched his Titan/Mercury (Titury) which was the one lost and recovered at Aloun the other month with a new fin. The motor was having trouble, so Jake used a FirstFire Initiator for HPR motors which caused an impressive flame at launch. Several of the HCC students launched naked Graduators, one with an instrument sled and another with a JL altimeter. The second E12 was having trouble igniting, so Jake added a short snip of cannon fuse with the starter. For the past year, the LHS has a sign saying they no longer sell cannon fuse and now I know what it's referring to.

0:00 Mini Executioner D22-4W 741ft? 5pts
1:58 Doorknob E20-4W 4pts
3:30 Gary's Vortico, C6-0
3:58 Aerospace One C5-3 - 199ft 6pts
5:04 Flight video
5:42 Gary's Flash 24, C12-8
6:21 Odyssey D12-3 275ft 5pts
7:04 Flight video
7:38 Gary's Trajector, F15-6
9:43 WCC
9:47 Bullpup XL 3pts
9:58 Jake's Tituary