Up! Cup on an A8-3?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanKnight

Reaction score
Sorry for the duplicate posting, but I realized it should have gone here. I'm collecting a few interesting rockets to launch at my school to pique my students' interest. Has anyone flown the Up! Cup on an A8-3? It is light enough for lift-off, but would it hit ground before deployment or something?

Hi Urban Knight,
NO - The A8-3 is not a recommended engine!
The altitude won't be high enough and the cup too close to the ground (if it isn't already on the ground) at ejection.
The Estes B6-2 is the best engine on the low end.

I see you are restricted to A engines -
The first Up! Cup I made was smaller and made for 13mm, A10-3t engines.
You could make a smaller one but would use a TA-560 ring for internal support at the inisde "bottom" of the cup.
Go through the top of the cup for the thrust ring and use a 5/20 centering ring on outside and inside.
Basically the same construction as the 18mm kit, except there is no streamer on the engine at ejection.

Note: The Up! Cup should not be flown with the Quest C6-3! As the instructions point out - use the Estes B6-2 and C6-3 engines.
The Quest C6 engines work best in minimum diameter and low drag 3FNC models, not in a higher drag cup!

Last edited:
Thanks. I did see your review on the 13mm version, so I might try to make one of those. Thanks for the parts recommendation. Until then, maybe I'll order a Sputnik or Birdie.

Another great A powered demo rocket would be the Sputnik design using a foam ball and wood dowels. Plans are easily located.

Thanks for chiming in, jim. I was also considering the Tiddlywink, but don't know if I can get the motors locally (probably ordering from Jon Rocket, so no motors there). And I didn't see what size launch rod it uses, but I assume I can fire it from an Estes porta pad and controller?

I was going for one odd roc, 1 helicopter, and one glider.

Back