United Launch Alliance's newest rocket, Vulcan, arrives at Cape Canaveral launch site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunate that the Astrobotic lander is having trouble keeping solar panels oriented (hoping they figure that out before time runs out), but congratulations to ULA and the Vulcan Centaur teams for a flawless flight.

I've always liked this graphic from ULA, showing why they were confident in Vulcan's success and also highlighting the main risk (and reportedly the main delay too):

vulcan_centaur_flight_heritage_32854051607_bbeef5a381_o.jpg
Congratulations to Blue Origin too. That last line needs to be updated to 1.

Edited to update the image with a more recent copy.

Last edited:
Unfortunate that the Astrobotic lander is having trouble keeping solar panels oriented (hoping they figure that out before time runs out), but congratulations to ULA and the Vulcan Centaur teams for a flawless flight.
Unfortunately, Astrobotic's latest update is looking rather grim.

1704739077966.png

Nice flight, textbook perfect. Too bad about the payload... but that's not ULA's fault.

Nice flight, textbook perfect. Too bad about the payload... but that's not ULA's fault.
Yep, I would never bet against ULA. They are very good at what they do.

I was expecting the Peregrine to fail though because, come on, it's their first attempt. However, I was hoping for at least a crash on the lunar surface.

Yep, I would never bet against ULA. They are very good at what they do.

I was expecting the Peregrine to fail though because, come on, it's their first attempt. However, I was hoping for at least a crash on the lunar surface.
Well, for us nearby I feel for them, and am sadly disappointed. We were just at the Carnegie Science Center, and right across the way I pointed out their facility to the family. They have a "moon museum" there. I hope to take the grandkids to it soon.

Unfortunately, Astrobotic's latest update is looking rather grim.

View attachment 623446
Oh no! I got two updates so far today, but not this one.

And yes, congrats to Blue Origin on the first time BE-4s have flown — it looks like they worked just fine.

A former student of mine, who got sucked into engineering thanks to model rocketry (yay) just took a position with Blue Origin after getting her engineering degree at Purdue. Hopefully this coming weekend's weather won't prevent us from getting together as we planned and talking about this flight as well as her first couple of weeks at Blue. She also worked as an intern at a company that supported the Psyche probe and had a part with her name on it on the spacecraft....which worked just fine when called upon. My star student, for sure....

Back