U.S. Rockets Stiletto

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugway

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've had this mostly built (like many of my rockets) for a number of months. I finally got around to finishing it up today and I think it turned out pretty well. It weighs 1200g without motor adapters, parachute, or motors. It's way too heavy for the 4xD12s on the recommended motors list, but should be OK on composite 4x24mm, 3x29mm, and 38mm flights. I can't imagine putting a 54mm motor in it. My goal coming in to this year was to have fun without electronics, and this definitely qualifies.

IMG_20200507_163635[10233].jpg

I've had this mostly built (like many of my rockets) for a number of months. I finally got around to finishing it up today and I think it turned out pretty well. It weighs 1200g without motor adapters, parachute, or motors. It's way too heavy for the 4xD12s on the recommended motors list, but should be OK on composite 4x24mm, 3x29mm, and 38mm flights. I can't imagine putting a 54mm motor in it. My goal coming in to this year was to have fun without electronics, and this definitely qualifies.

View attachment 415439
I know this post is 6 months old but if the OP is watching I’d like to read their thoughts on this kit - I’m thinking of buying one as my follow on rocket after I complete my L1. I’ve been playing with the sim in OpenRocket and seems like a great “old school” rocket for H motors.

Updated thoughts:

1) I never could get the ACE Fugue Shroud to not look like crap. I ended up 3D printing a transition and hiding my shame. It would have been much easier (and lighter) to just use my printed transition in the first place, there's a lot of wood filler and glue underneath it. If there is any interest, I could post the STL and/or the SketchUp SKP.

2) Even with all the extra weight, it comes in just under 3.3 lbs. with the 3x29mm adapter installed. Probably the biggest and coolest "model rocket" in my fleet.

3) At the only launch I've been to this year, I sent it up on three Aerotech F26FJ-6's. It flew wonderfully to about 1200' and came back without a scratch.

I guess the bottom line is that if this were destroyed, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it, but wouldn't bother trying to get the stupid shroud to look good!

Updated thoughts:

1) I never could get the ACE Fugue Shroud to not look like crap. I ended up 3D printing a transition and hiding my shame. It would have been much easier (and lighter) to just use my printed transition in the first place, there's a lot of wood filler and glue underneath it. If there is any interest, I could post the STL and/or the SketchUp SKP.

2) Even with all the extra weight, it comes in just under 3.3 lbs. with the 3x29mm adapter installed. Probably the biggest and coolest "model rocket" in my fleet.

3) At the only launch I've been to this year, I sent it up on three Aerotech F26FJ-6's. It flew wonderfully to about 1200' and came back without a scratch.

I guess the bottom line is that if this were destroyed, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it, but wouldn't bother trying to get the stupid shroud to look good!
This design is in my build pile.

Please post the STL file.

Thanks.

Updated thoughts:

Thanks, that’s just the kind of info I needed. I have no intention to try and build the transition per the instructions, no way I have the skill or patience - payloadbay.com has a great transition building tool and that’s what I’ll use, probably heavy card stock either soaked in CA or epoxy, I’ve been experimenting with both techniques. One other question I have is about the dimensions of the upper section tubes - is the ID 2.6” or some odd size? I’m planning on building an av bay in the upper section coupler.

I’m about 90% sold on buying the kit - especially after running sims this afternoon showing that, if I keep the weight reasonable, this should be a very flexible rocket considering it’s size. Though I doubt if I’ll ever fly it on a K or L motor and hit Mach 1+ - not sure I trust my building skills that far!

I've made a few USR kits that use that self-made transition. It's not that hard if you read the booklet that covers the method, use a very sharp x-acto blade, go slow and under-cut everything.

I've made a few USR kits that use that self-made transition. It's not that hard if you read the booklet that covers the method, use a very sharp x-acto blade, go slow and under-cut everything.
Oh I’ll give it a shot since the tube is in the kit - but I know my limitations ;)

Maybe I’ll try building a couple with some scrap tubes and use them in a scratch build “pathfinder” rocket - I keep a couple small rockets on hand that I have no attachment to I use to check winds aloft when I launch at a friend’s farm.

Latest posts

Back