Two lost birds and a crumpled Amazon...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-train

Reaction score
To make a long story short, I recently rediscovered an old hobby of mine; ROCKETS! Got a small bonus (read $50) from work and walked by the rocketry section at our local Hobby Lobby. Ended up buying a Tandem X starter pack, motors, and wadding - as all of my old rocket supplies went to the local dump years ago.

SO - I assembled the Amazon, and the Crossfire ISX 2, primed both, mostly painted the Amazon, and finished the Crossfire. I also picked up two of the Estes 220 Swifts to deco. and launch for my twin niece and nephew.

Finally got to launch everything but the Crossfire today. Lost the two Swifts (unfortunate, 'cause I was set on giving them to the twins!!), and crumpled my Amazon.

Flew the Amazon using an Estes B4-4 - maybe hit 150', did a little jig, popped the NC at about 75'. The 'chute deployed, although it did not unfurl making it a hard landing on the fins. The rocket crumpled around the 4.5" mark from the bottom of the fin can.

What could I have done wrong with the 'Zon? I know it has a lower apogee, as it's a heavier rocket running on a smaller motor. I only put two coats of primer and a single coat of gloss black, all rattle canned. I used 3 sheets of wadding as recommended, however, I did cut each sheet in half - as I thought they were too long. Any thoughts?

May be some ideas in this;
The Amazon's recommended motors are B4-2, B4-4, B6-4, C6-3 and C6-5. TIP: C6-5's are great and A8-3's are a bit scary!

My son has flown the Amazon many times with the most recent flights taking place at NERRF. It is easy to prepare for flight and is a straight flier. It takes a bit more wadding that other rockets due to the wider body tube.
From https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-industries-tandem-x-starter-set--by-emrr.html
My unscientifically general feeling about the thing is that even though B4 series motors are recommended they have borderline too little muscle for the mass.
Chute deployment issue could have been caused by anything from the preflight packing to the touch of the fickle finger of fate to the old clock vs. altitude conflict.

Last edited:
What I like about Amazon is that it is very easy to repair. Rip plastic fin can and coupler, replace damaged tube with new BT-55 tube. You can get it on ebay for ~$8, or buy 3 for ~$12 and you'll be all set for two more repairs. Fin can and nose cone and practically indestructible.

Next time try Estes B6-4, I had lovely flights on this engine.

-Alex

Thanks for the reply, guys! I chose the B4-4, knowing that it was the weakest recommended motor for the 'Zon because it was a tad windy, and the launch field wasn't as large as I would need for a C-class motor. I agree about the easy repair for the rocket, though! Definitely not giving up on it!

Any tips for packing the 'chute? I generally follow the directions on the instructions, but when I wrap the lines I'm not too confident about it deploying.

Did you weld the 'chute? That can happen when there's not enough wadding, the hot gasses can get aound the wadding welding the plastic together. Use talc on the 'chute. Keeps it from sticking together and not wanting to open plus it makes a little "puff" at ejection. Do not twist wind the shroud lines on, roll them over the folded plastic. Sounds like the B4-2 would have been a better choice.

Small rockets like the Swift, Quark, and others like them just dissapear, many never to be seen again. Save your money and just get a bigger rocket.

Fortunately, the 'chute did not weld, although that would have been interesting! I'm thinking that had the rocket gained more altitude, it may have opened although one can't ever really guess! I'll begin to use talc on my next few rockets and see how that works. I just spent so much time on my Crossfire, and more recently, my QCC Explorer, that I want to try and forestall any issues!

Best to pack the chute near the time of launch. Plastic chutes have a memory from the folds that can keep them from opening if they sit in the rocket for a couple hours. It is best to open the chute up and shake it around to get it loose and pack it near launch time. Cold temps really hurt the ability of the chute to open as well. My first posts here on TRF were about the chutes not opening and I learned all about nylon chutes and swivels.

TRF RULES

Latest posts

Back