Tubes Tubes Tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Rummaging through my house, I realize I have dozens of old shipping tubes that range from 2" diameter to 4" diameter. They aren't that thick or heavy, but they are thicker and heavier than the tubes that come with a large kit (like a Big Daddy). Can these be used for a medium powered rocket, running an E to G engine, or am I barking up the wrong tree? I guess it comes down to total grams and what a particular motor can lift? These tubes are 20+ years old, but still strong enough. I even have one that's a perfect size (if I can get just the nose cone) to build a stretched Big Daddy, that I would likely build with a 29mm motor mount.

Absolutely. There are a lot of people on here that use misc. tubes for their rocket bodies. The hard part is finding an appropriate nose cone.

If you have the ability to make your own nose cones then you can use pretty much anything. If you cannot make your own cones then it's best to stick with commonly available tubes.

If you have the ability to make your own nose cones then you can use pretty much anything. If you cannot make your own cones then it's best to stick with commonly available tubes.
Yes, I've already made nose cones from plastic champagne flutes and have even tried my hand at carving from a block of balsa (that was a lot of work). Next time, I'm going to carve from foam, and epoxy over the foam. But I think it is time to invest in a 3D printer.

Check and see if a standard Estes 3in tube will slip inside one of your 3in mailing tubes. That's how my Level2 went with a Big Daddy cone

Back