Total eclipse coming, 8 April 2024!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a wonderful experience.

@Blast it Tom! and his crew came over, and my family had a great view. A few high wispy clouds, but sun was clearly viewable. Very worth watching. Here is a photo of the group with about 20% covered. Then in totality.

View attachment 639567
View attachment 639568
And here's about my best shot from @Tractionengines front yard. Maybe more to come from a video, there were some prominent prominences at the 10-11:00 position just after totality started:
1000004316.jpg

Last edited:
As someone mentioned above NASA launched 3 sounding rockets from Wallops. In June 2018 I took 5 Native American college students to Wallops to attend ROCK-ON, a workshop where we built instrument packages that when completed & tested (which took several days) NASA launched into space so we could get some data and analyze it. It was a great experience for all of us.

Here's a YouTube stream of yesterday's launches. This is the first sounding rocket launch. Go to 10 minutes.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but you can see Mercury, Saturn, and I believe the comet in this photo.
Nice! I missed getting a full-scene shot with the sun blackened, my autoexposure over-exposed. 3 1/2 minutes doesn't give one much time to fiddle with settings! I can't find the comet yet, but I'll keep trying!

Last edited:
(folds eclipse glasses, puts them into that one drawer in the kitchen that just collects stuff)
That was great! 😆 I haven't figured out where I was going to stash my stuff, and I showed my wife your post, and of course she says, "Well, why would you keep them?"

WHY WOULD YOU NOT KEEP THEM?!?!?! Who knows when an eclipse might break out?

Last edited:
Who knows when an eclipse might break out?
🤣🤣🤣

Explain to her that while eclipse schedules are pretty well understood, that's not the only reason to want to look at the sun.

We still have our eclipse glasses from last year's annular eclipse. They came in handy a month ago when there was a sunspot big enough to see with the naked eye. That was pretty neat to be able to see!

If anyone has glasses they don't want to keep, there are companies that take donations and send them to schools all over the world when there's going to be an eclipse there.

If anyone has glasses they don't want to keep, there are companies that take donations and send them to schools all over the world when there's going to be an eclipse there.
I bought a lot of glasses so as to have plenty to give to friends and family, and I was thinking of looking for something like this to do with the leftovers. Do you have any links or names I could follow up with?

That was great! 😆 I haven't figured out where I was going to stash my stuff, and I showed my wife your post, and of course she says, "Well, why would you keep them?"

WHY WOULD YOU NOT KEEP THEM?!?!?! Who knows when an eclipse might break out?
BREAKING: Rogue eclipses in PartsUnknown Saskatchewan and Milan in Italy! Moon being held responsible; US demands punishment. Film at eleven."

Our trip to one of the 1000 Lakes in the St Lawrence River was fantastic. The clouds tried their best to ruin the event, but they were thin enough at totality for us to still get a show. The feeling is like nothing else.

IMG_2418.jpeg

The coolest thing to me was the "360-degree sunset." Here's a picture of my kids looking due north during totality.

IMG_2417.jpeg

Our trip to one of the 1000 Lakes in the St Lawrence River was fantastic. The clouds tried their best to ruin the event, but they were thin enough at totality for us to still get a show. The feeling is like nothing else.

View attachment 639876

The coolest thing to me was the "360-degree sunset." Here's a picture of my kids looking due north during totality.

View attachment 639877
The thing I love most about this picture is that I do see 2 'kids' looking, but the 3rd kid wearing the birdhouse shaped eclipse shoebox covering half his/her body is what I saw at first glance. I love it when random people I'll likely never meet make me laugh and my misinterpretation for the first second or two, did indeed make me laugh. Thank you sir.

Sandy.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but you can see Mercury, Saturn, and I believe the comet in this photo.

Thanks for posting that pic. Hardly anyone has shown the shinning planets yet. I can only see the planet in the upper left. The one below and to the right of the moon, but that's all. No comet.

I looked up on heavens-above for the overhead sky chart for April 8 during the eclipse. Venus was (bright) on one side of the moon, Jupiter was (bright) on the other side w Mars/Saturn (dimmer) real close on the other side of Jupiter. I was expecting to see 3+ planets on TV? IIRC 2017 had a very bright Venus come out. :cool:

I bought a lot of glasses so as to have plenty to give to friends and family, and I was thinking of looking for something like this to do with the leftovers. Do you have any links or names I could follow up with?

https://eclipse23.com/pages/donate-eclipse-glasses

local news
https://www.ksl.com/article/5097482...-eclipse-glasses-from-around-nation-to-donate

I still have nightmares over the traffic coming back south from Idaho in 2017 - THE WORST JAM IN MY LIFE! We passed 3 accidents, then took a (very) backward road/trail using GPS!

Did anyone catch a sight of Pons/Brooks (comet?).
I did not.
Don't think I saw it in anyone's pictures yet either.

s6

Explain to her that while eclipse schedules are pretty well understood, that's not the only reason to want to look at the sun.

We still have our eclipse glasses from last year's annular eclipse. They came in handy a month ago when there was a sunspot big enough to see with the naked eye. That was pretty neat to be able to see!
For this eclipse I bought some glasses, a glass solar filter for my camera, and a small piece of solar film to improvise a filter in case the glass filter didn't work. I did a couple of practice sessions before the eclipse to try out the gear and was surprised that I could see sunspots in the photos. I'm going to keep all of my stuff and may occasionally shoot photos of the sun just to see what might be there.

I have an autistic son. The brother closest to him is only 16 months older; they actually developed a sort of "twin language" between them as they grew up. When the autistic son saw that 360° sunset, he exclaimed to his older brother, "It's like sunrise and sunset at the same time!" In our view it was the quote of the day!

Well, here I sit in a hotel in Lawrence, Kansas. I was asked by the company I'd retired from (after 31 years) to come out and do a test because their usual guy was sick. So I'm still going through my stuff. I'm not the best photograher; all this was shot on a 9 year old Nikon Coolpix P610 at 1440 mm equivalent focal length on a manual tripod. This last one is my best attempt at the "diamond ring" coming out of totality. It's a still frame from a 1080p 30 fps video and for some reason the fixed focus at infinity wouldn't stay fixed.
You rehearse and figure and try your best, but that 3-1/2 minutes goes mighty quick, as I'm sure you all realize. Anyway, here you go!

DSCN5737_Diamond_Ring(8).jpg

See, when you're by yourself in a hotel room, all nerded out on the eclipse... I reviewed the thread, and now I custom cropped my last two images to the same scale. These are 2-4 seconds before totality, I believe (not in that order!). You can see the breaks in the arc caused by the lunar terrain. I suspect that if I'd whipped my glasses off, I'd have seen the "Bailey's Beads". These, of course were through a solar filter on the camera.

DSCN5731 - frame at 0m36s_custom_cr.jpg
DSCN5731 - frame at 0m38s_Custom_cr.jpg

The kids (@Tractionengines's and my grandkids) were screaming and carrying on in that video, so the audio is more priceless to me than the video, though they do kinda go hand-in-hand. Anyway, I think that's it from me for now. Best to you all!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back