Top Flight Chutes - Choices?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielhv

Reaction score
Ready to pull the trigger on a bigger chute for my Zephyr, and I'm looking at TFR, but confused on the "models" they offer...

Standard type, X-Type, Ultra-X, Crossfire... Their website doesn't give me any insight as to what the differences are between all of these besides price. Anyone have any light they can shed? I plan to call them tomorrow if not. Rocket is 4lbs without a motor in it, expecting by the time I add a motor, chute, and chute release I'll be bumping 6lbs. Was planning on a 48" or 60" chute.

I typically just use their standard type chutes. Light weight and they pack fairly small. The crossfire is heavier and made to be more durable, but I have never had any issues with the standard type when properly protected. I have several 60" and 54" chutes that I have been using for years.

Standard, Thin mill are flat sheets cut into a circle with nylon round shroud lines/strings.

X type are just 2 rectangle pieces forming a X, the standard uses the thin standard material and the ultra X uses thicker rip stop nylon and heavier flat braided lines.

The Thin mill and X type chutes pack into a very small space, I have a 58" thin mill for my MD 54mm Tomach project.

For a 4" rocket about 6lbs a 48" standard or thin mill will work, a 60" is fine but will be a slow decent.

I had a pressure seperation with my MC Torrent and the chute release shattered as it hit the fin, the 45" TRF Thin mill spec orange chute inflated at MECO and around 400mph (I would have to look at my notes to see the estimated velocity). I have made short leaders on the shroud lines with a HD fishing swivel for easy swapping and the swivel just pulled straight and the chute fluttered to the ground otherwise un damaged.

https://fruitychutes.com/help_for_parachutes/parachute-descent-rate-calculator
I have used this in the past to compare chutes.

Last edited:
Ready to pull the trigger on a bigger chute for my Zephyr, and I'm looking at TFR, but confused on the "models" they offer...

Standard type, X-Type, Ultra-X, Crossfire... Their website doesn't give me any insight as to what the differences are between all of these besides price. Anyone have any light they can shed? I plan to call them tomorrow if not. Rocket is 4lbs without a motor in it, expecting by the time I add a motor, chute, and chute release I'll be bumping 6lbs. Was planning on a 48" or 60" chute.

I have a couple of rockets in the 5.5 to 6.5 lb. range. I use Top Flights Standard 50" chute (PAR-50).

Rockets all come down at a reasonable descent speed, never broken any fins. One is a 4" Phoenix
and those you have to be careful with on the bottom set of fins.

I use a Jolly Logic Chute Release with these rockets.

I have a standard Top Flight 58" chute I use with my 4 inch diameter 9 pound fiberglass Nike Smoke. I have flown it about a dozen times, no issues, love the neon orange. If you order directly from Top Flight you get very fast shipping. Remember to figure in altitude at your launch site. I use a JLCR with it, and a Dinochutes 36" guide chute as the "drogue."

I should also mention that if you want spillholes put in the standard/thin-mil parachutes, just email the owner and he can do it for you. It was like $.50 or a $1 extra to put in a spillhole. That option isn't on the website.

I have a standard Top Flight 58" chute I use with my 4 inch diameter 9 pound fiberglass Nike Smoke. I have flown it about a dozen times, no issues, love the neon orange. If you order directly from Top Flight you get very fast shipping. Remember to figure in altitude at your launch site. I use a JLCR with it, and a Dinochutes 36" guide chute as the "drogue."
@Zman1961 --

Great advice on sizing your chute for the Launch Site Altitude ( air density ) !

Dinochutes seems to be out of business now.

So, what is a guide chute ?

-- kjh

@Zman1961 --

Great advice on sizing your chute for the Launch Site Altitude ( air density ) !

Dinochutes seems to be out of business now.

So, what is a guide chute ?

-- kjh
Sorry, I just got back to this now. Dinochutes is out of business. :( A guide chute is a cone shaped chute (think: dunce cap with a spill hole) that doesn't provide a lot of lift, but it does keep the rocket and shock cord in a vertical line during descent until the main opens, attached at or near the nose cone. This minimizes drift and reduces potential tangles when the main opens. I think this item was designed specifically for use with the JLCR, which is how I use it. There were two sizes, 24 inch and 36 inch. I have one of each. Anyone out there want to start making them again? I think it is very helpful.

I love my 36" X-type Top Flight chute. No longer available. Only 24".

Can someone explain the difference between Ultra and Crossfire?

BTW at XPRS, Fruity Chutes was testing a new chute release that can fit much larger chutes. Seemed to work.

Thanks Ron.

I always enjoy your videos and stills.

Sorry, I don't know the difference between Ultra and Crossfire Chutes ...

What onboard camera(s) are you flying ?

And ... how many points did you score at XPRS ? :)

Thanks again !

-- kjh

Back