TLP Kits at Hobbylinc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1...

Leave the fiberglass anti-tank rounds to others...

Later! OL JR :)

Dude! Much anger I sense with this one. Some of my best friends are anti-tank rounds. :) I'm starting to think Luke your are now so invested with the hate HPR thing that you keep it up to save face. Its not to late to come back to the light side, I feel the good in you.

TA

Careful. We don't want a flame war. OL JR has his opinions for sure. We all do.
He's a great Model Rocket and rocketry history resource. Each finds their own path...
:wink: Sure wish I could fly some Loki in California... oh well... :(

And to keep this sorta on topic - Here's my TLP Hawk 1.6 outbound on it's 8th mission (well 8th since I started keep track on RocketryReviews.com

Yesterday, near Edwards AFB CA, E28-7 drilled to about 6 seconds and went to about 8 seconds :y: Est Alt: 1300'

8686956165_061d46887c_c.jpg

He's a great Model Rocket and rocketry history resource. Each finds their own path...

And to keep this sorta on topic - Here's my TLP Hawk 1.6 outbound on it's 8th mission (well 8th since I started keep track on RocketryReviews.com

Yesterday, near Edwards AFB CA, E28-7 drilled to about 6 seconds and went to about 8 seconds :y: Est Alt: 1300'

Sweet looking rocket there Jeff!
What size chute and where did it come from?

JP

Ya caught me!!! A 10 inch nylon. I bought it off of eBay. I'd watch another guy's Formula 54 drift WAAY off catching a thermal. I was trying to avoid that. My flight log shows I use a lot of D's with this rocket. With D's generally use the stock mylar chute.

But with reloads ya never know if they'll go short... long... etc. Especially the old E28 (two delay o-rings) I was using. Good thing too. As the delay went long even though I cut the heck out of it. But it still uses elastic for the shock cord... stock body tube and rings, etc...

Ya caught me!!! A 10 inch nylon. I bought it off of eBay. I'd watch another guy's Formula 54 drift WAAY off catching a thermal. I was trying to avoid that. My flight log shows I use a lot of D's with this rocket. With D's generally use the stock mylar chute.

But with reloads ya never know if they'll go short... long... etc. Especially the old E28 (two delay o-rings) I was using. Good thing too. As the delay went long even though I cut the heck out of it. But it still uses elastic for the shock cord... stock body tube and rings, etc...
:wink: Thanks for the info Jeff.
Nice job!

JP

Mostly just poking fun, mostly. I hoped the several Star Wars references would show that. Luke is a great resource of rocket knowledge and a worthy TRF member. I'm glad to have him around.

TA

Dude! Much anger I sense with this one. Some of my best friends are anti-tank rounds. :) I'm starting to think Luke your are now so invested with the hate HPR thing that you keep it up to save face. Its not to late to come back to the light side, I feel the good in you.

TA

Here we go again... :facepalm:

Did I say a FRIGGIN' THING about HPR?? NO, I did not... course that doesn't stop you guys from jumping on me...

ALL I said was, "leave the anti-tank rounds to others"... TLP is supposed to be MID POWER KITS... yet EVERY SINGLE TIME a thread comes up mentioning TLP kits, the yahoos start coming out of the woodwork badmouthing them for their "toy rocket" construction with REGULAR thickness body tubes, soft balsa (which I'll admit I myself replace) and the motor choice limits imposed by the motor mounts... IOW, displeased because it's not constructed out of thick wall tubes, massive amounts of fiberglass, and equipped with a motor mount capable of taking the largest motor they could possibly want to shove into the thing...

Hey, if that's your jollies, GO FOR IT... it's not like there's not a half dozen or more companies selling HPR kits with such construction methods and capabilities. BUT TLP IS NOT FREAKIN' ONE OF THEM! Nor should they be...

What part of "MID-power" don't you guys get?? It's pretty simple... Mid-power is "D" through "G" motors... While I'll agree that the use of clustered "D" black powder motors seems like a rather expensive way to get the equivalent "E" or "F" impulse, that's the choice the kit manufacturer made... there's nothing stopping someone from replacing that mount with a single mount for a single motor of equivalent impulse and performance parameters... (other than their own capabilities and skills, along with careful modification to the design to maintain stability). It doesn't HAVE to be built to take the biggest "G", "H", or "I" motor someone wants to shove into it and still be capable of surviving intact... Even if it's only designed for "D" and "E" motors, and NOT "F" and "G" motors, it's STILL a MIDPOWER kit...

There's not that many MIDPOWER kit makers out there, and I for one am GLAD that TLP DOES focus on that spectrum of the hobby... and that they haven't caved to the constant WHINING of HPR guys griping because they got a $30 kit that wasn't built like a $200 HPR kit...

If you want a $200 fiberglass kit, GO BUY a friggin' $200 fiberglass kit... if you want a $30 or so MIDPOWER missile kit, go buy a TLP kit... don't WHINE that the $30 TLP kit isn't a $200 fiberglass HPR kit...

Is that clear enough for you to understand?? Geesh... Some people's children... LOL:)

Thank you... I appreciate it.

Just to clarify-- AGAIN... while *I* don't support HPR and don't want it on my farms, that's MY preference... I REALIZE that there are quite few folks who feel differently-- MORE POWER TO THEM!!! I admit it's kinda cool to watch-- until something goes badly wrong... You guys go have fun blowing a couple hundred bucks a flight... and hopefully everything goes right. But from what I've seen, I'm glad it's a couple hours drive north of my place...

What I find AMAZING is that ANYBODY that expresses an opinion that is "unpopular" is somehow "angry" or whatever... If I were "angry" I'd be working actively to get HPR banned... and I'm not. It's been my experience that if you're not some "fanboy" running around "oohing and ahhing" over the HPR guys' projects, that they're "offended" by you... I've seen that a NUMBER of times myself... Sorry, but I'm not impressed by most of it, ESPECIALLY not the "I'm gonna blow $300 bucks on this single flight to push this fiberglass spear supersonic to 15,000 feet with the biggest friggin' motor I can shove into it..." Sorry, but I'm not impressed with the idiots and their top-fuel dragsters and their "I've got $50,000 bucks in just this blown alcohol engine to push this $100,000 dragster to 200 mph+ in a quarter mile-- if I don't get killed first" crowd either... I'm not saying that either one SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED to do that if that's how they get their jollies and that's how they want to blow their money and time, BUT, I don't want either one on my front lawn or on the road in front of my house, either... nor do I choose to go watch it and fawn over it...

If that's their thing, more power to them... good for you... NEXT!!!

I'd like to think there's enough room for folks with different interests... but it's pretty common thing-- my brother is into old cars and restoring stuff, and he goes to car shows sometimes... his thing is to keep it close to original, with a little "upgrading" here and there to make it hot without making it obvious-- the so-called "sleeper"... and yeah, I've seen other guys that blow tons of cash on their latest "projects" thumb their nose because he's got less than $10,000 in his, where they'll blow more than that on a paint job...

Oh well, it takes all kinds... I wish I had a buck for every time I've heard comments like "a D motor-- I use those to IGNITE the motors in *my* rockets" and other such nonsense and garbage... like I'm supposed to be impressed... "Okay, good for you" is usually my rather deadpan response, at which point you can see the other guy get bristly because you're not fawning over *his* preferred activity.

I'll say it again for anybody who missed it... You guys have FUN with your HPR... enjoy it... MORE POWER TO YOU! GOOD LUCK!!! BUT, I reserve the right to my own opinion based on the experiences I've seen and had with it, and to say something when I see something wrong or unsafe. THERE IS *NOTHING* WRONG WITH THAT!!! If you think there is, then YOU have some serious issues...

If this makes me "angry" or "on the dark side" or whatever, so be it... It just generally confirms my opinion that most people nowdays are seriously screwed in the head... Have whatever opinion you want-- that's your right... AND SO WILL I...

There, that better??

ANYWAY, BACK ON TOPIC... That's a terrific build there Jeff... Thanks for sharing! That's what the forums are for... not abject fawning over whatever is "popular"... Great job! That TLP kit is something else!

Speaking of TLP kits -ahem cough ahem... :sigh: I did notice that not all the TLP kits are on Hobbylinc I been dyeing for a Falcon and a Bullpup C, ever since I saw sods falcon (masterpiece BTW). I was considering a whopping order and would like to only pay shipping once and my faves are not there.

TA

How fast was it going when it finally ejected?? Any damage?? (No "estes dent" or cord damage to the tube lip or anything??)

It's a nice looking bird, that's for sure...

What's your experience been with the mylar chutes?? I know using plastic chutes in my Eliminator I was less than impressed when a E9-4 went more like an E9-7 and deployed well on the way down and stripped nearly half the shroud lines... that's when I switched to nylon chutes for the bigger rockets... even coming in a little late, they work fine. I haven't tried the mylar chute that came with my TLP Maverick... just the nylon chute which worked well. I put the mylar one together, and I plan to use it on *something* but haven't yet... I've got a ton of mylar "party balloon" chute skins that I've cut out and got stacked, and I've built a few mylar chutes from them... Keira uses a "Disney Princess" party balloon mylar chute in her Fatboy and it worked pretty well...

I DO know I read that DO NOT allow any nicks or cuts in the outer edge of the mylar, because they will "run" and rip clear across the chute when it snaps open with enough force... make sure the edge stays smooth and even...

I'd be interested in hearing your perceptions... I take it you put a smaller nylon chute in to get a faster descent rate and less chance of thermalling off, unlike the larger TLP mylar chute which is probably lighter?? The greater strength of the nylon chute in the late deploy was just an added bonus... right??

Regarding hobbylinc and what they carry You could look to Sirius Rocketry. For the right size order they might price match. Or come close?..

OL JR, It okay!! :) He was joshin'. I missed that too a little bit... it's cool.

We all love rockets. :)

:)

Yeah, I didn't see that til now...

Okay... there's pokin' fun, and then there's pokin' the bull in the butt...

One's a good idea, one's not... especially after getting my chops busted by some characters around here for DARING to point out some of the stuff I've seen that gives me pause... even in a very roundabout and non-incriminatory way... even the DISCUSSION of such things is somehow considered "verboten" by *some* folks around here...

Just REALLY get sick and tired of being accused of stuff simply for having an "unpopular" opinion...

"We all love rockets"... VERY WELL SAID! Thanks Jeff!
Later!
OL JR :)

Speaking of TLP kits -ahem cough ahem... :sigh: I did notice that not all the TLP kits are on Hobbylinc I been dyeing for a Falcon and a Bullpup C, ever since I saw sods falcon (masterpiece BTW). I was considering a whopping order and would like to only pay shipping once and my faves are not there.

TA

Is that the "stepped" down nuclear Bullpup?? That's one of my faves too... been wanting one of those since I saw the real deal in the USAF Museum in Dayton after I left NARAM in Cincinnati year before last...

The "Estes" Bullpup (non-nuclear IIRC) is okay, but the stepped one just looks SO much cooler...

DSCF0521.jpg

How fast was it going when it finally ejected?? Any damage?? (No "estes dent" or cord damage to the tube lip or anything??)

It's a nice looking bird, that's for sure...
Thanks. It's actually getting pretty 'rough' close up. But that's because it flies! And it gets handled. Getting to and from a launch can be as bad as the launch or worse!

The Hawk was three seconds past apogee when it ejected. No tracking smoke was left (which is why I feared the worse... delay grain done burning and no ejection yet). It must have been burning, since it did eject, but as speed picked up it probably spread out the smoke too thin... or I was simply expecting the worst and memory is failing me. ;) No, it did not zipper. I get zippers with kevlar but rarely with 1/4 inch elastic. Yes the elastic can fail... but in my experience it's more likely the teabag style shock cord mount fails to hold the elastic and it pulls out. Been there... done that... :)
[/QUOTE]

What's your experience been with the mylar chutes?? I know using plastic chutes in my Eliminator I was less than impressed when a E9-4 went more like an E9-7 and deployed well on the way down and stripped nearly half the shroud lines... that's when I switched to nylon chutes for the bigger rockets... even coming in a little late, they work fine. I haven't tried the mylar chute that came with my TLP Maverick... just the nylon chute which worked well. I put the mylar one together, and I plan to use it on *something* but haven't yet... I've got a ton of mylar "party balloon" chute skins that I've cut out and got stacked, and I've built a few mylar chutes from them... Keira uses a "Disney Princess" party balloon mylar chute in her Fatboy and it worked pretty well...

I have no idea why I am one of those people that tries and use most of what comes with a kit. Maybe I am just cheap. Or I know light makes flight (R/C Gliders). Mylar is what the designer of the rocket got to work. Why shouldn't I? As a rule I never ever attach the chute to the rocket that came with it. All my chutes get built, I attach a snap swivel, and into my range box it goes. Then I choose a type and size at launch time. I like the idea of lightweight mylar chutes. They are light :) and can be really easy to see. I got hold of a few 'rectangular' ones from Launch Pad kits that a TRF friend sent me gratis. I gave one a try in the TLP Osiris (BT-80 based TLP model) and as long as the ejection timing is close, it works great. Same for all mylar chutes I've tried. But they don't suffer bonus delays lightly.

I DO know I read that DO NOT allow any nicks or cuts in the outer edge of the mylar, because they will "run" and rip clear across the chute when it snaps open with enough force... make sure the edge stays smooth and even...

I'd be interested in hearing your perceptions... I take it you put a smaller nylon chute in to get a faster descent rate and less chance of thermalling off, unlike the larger TLP mylar chute which is probably lighter?? The greater strength of the nylon chute in the late deploy was just an added bonus... right??

Alas, I share your fear of nicks and such. And even so, hustling down when a delay goes long, or simply a tip off at launch, or unexpected shear winds, whatever makes a rocket go long on ejections, mylar will fail at the attachments. And they have. I just have not found a way not to unless you go over the top with the shrouds...

I don't mind using mylar if I think I understand the performance of the rocket and motor combination based on many launches. But to be honest, I am becoming a big nylon chute fan. At least 95% of the time or more, they'll not fail when plastic and mylar will. They are bulkier (word?) to pack. And a bit heavier.

Is that about where you are at?

Thanks. It's actually getting pretty 'rough' close up. But that's because it flies! And it gets handled. Getting to and from a launch can be as bad as the launch or worse!

The Hawk was three seconds past apogee when it ejected. No tracking smoke was left (which is why I feared the worse... delay grain done burning and no ejection yet). It must have been burning, since it did eject, but as speed picked up it probably spread out the smoke too thin... or I was simply expecting the worst and memory is failing me. ;) No, it did not zipper. I get zippers with kevlar but rarely with 1/4 inch elastic. Yes the elastic can fail... but in my experience it's more likely the teabag style shock cord mount fails to hold the elastic and it pulls out. Been there... done that... :)

Well, I'm sure it started off looking great... rockets all get their "mileage" dents and dings pretty rapidly... and your right-- road transport is the WORST... seems five times more likely to get damaged on the ground than in the air...

Best thing I've found-- save those plastic air-filled bags from packages we get in lieu of packing peanuts... also "airing up" ziplock bags by sealing them off except one little corner, and then blowing into them to inflate them, and then zipping that last corner shut, makes your own air-filled shipping bags that will keep rockets pretty well cushioned for transport, if you have a good sturdy box...

I have no idea why I am one of those people that tries and use most of what comes with a kit. Maybe I am just cheap. Or I know light makes flight (R/C Gliders). Mylar is what the designer of the rocket got to work. Why shouldn't I? As a rule I never ever attach the chute to the rocket that came with it. All my chutes get built, I attach a snap swivel, and into my range box it goes. Then I choose a type and size at launch time. I like the idea of lightweight mylar chutes. They are light :) and can be really easy to see. I got hold of a few 'rectangular' ones from Launch Pad kits that a TRF friend sent me gratis. I gave one a try in the TLP Osiris (BT-80 based TLP model) and as long as the ejection timing is close, it works great. Same for all mylar chutes I've tried. But they don't suffer bonus delays lightly.

I'm the same way... unless I'm kitbashing, I pretty well "use what they brung" so to speak... with two exceptions... I *refuse* to use that rubber band CRAP Estes puts in their kits as "shock cords" and replace that right off the bat with elastic, and if the TLP kit has the "soft balsa" that goes into the "spare balsa" stock and a sheet of harder, denser balsa takes its place.

I do the same thing with my chutes... they're all assembled (well, except for the spare half-dozen or so Dr. Zooch trash-bag chutes I end up with) and put in ziplocks in my range box with a file card in there telling me what it is, what it's for, and what size it is... Then I just pick and choose on the field according to conditions and the rocket in question. I picked up a mess of Top-Flite Recovery nylon chutes in a spate of sizes at NSL in Muncie a few years ago, and they work GREAT! For lighter, smaller rockets I've no fear in using the plastic chutes, but when the rocket gets bigger and heavier, I prefer the nylon chutes... ESPECIALLY if there's any wind or the rocket is prone to weathercocking or something that nearly guarantees a hard deployment at fast speeds... Sounds like from your experience the lightweight mylar chutes are good for weight savings and space savings, but you want pretty much spot-on apogee deployment at pretty low velocities to ensure that it comes down in one piece undamaged... good information to know...

Now, have you tried reinforcing the shroud holes in the mylar chutes?? Like I said, I've done a bunch of chutes from mylar party balloons-- love the colors and logos and stuff... really look cool... what I do is use a hole-punch to cut the shroud line hole in the canopy, which eliminates any 'slits' from a knife that could run and tear the chute... PLUS, I've started using small roughly 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch or so squares of DUCT TAPE (plain old silver plastic duct tape) bonded to the surface of the chute where the shroud line holes will be punched-- the hole is punched through the center, and I recess the tape about 1/8 inch from the edge of the canopy itself. I burnish the tape down tight and then rub baby powder over it once I'm done to eliminate any 'stickies' that might hold the chute closed... works well... I've even done this with blue painter's tape on Keira's mylar party balloon "Disney Princess" parachutes.. worked great and it's held up so far, though I'm not sure how long masking tape adhesive will work... guess we'll see... :) Reinforcing the shroud line holes seems to really help the strength of the chute...

Alas, I share your fear of nicks and such. And even so, hustling down when a delay goes long, or simply a tip off at launch, or unexpected shear winds, whatever makes a rocket go long on ejections, mylar will fail at the attachments. And they have. I just have not found a way not to unless you go over the top with the shrouds...

I don't mind using mylar if I think I understand the performance of the rocket and motor combination based on many launches. But to be honest, I am becoming a big nylon chute fan. At least 95% of the time or more, they'll not fail when plastic and mylar will. They are bulkier (word?) to pack. And a bit heavier.

Is that about where you are at?

Yep, been my experience exactly... the nylon is a little heavier/bulkier, but it's MUCH more durable... I've yet to see a nylon chute come back damaged... where I've had plastic ones strip lines on a hard deployment, either from weathercocking or bonus delay...

I've had pretty good luck with the reinforced plastic and mylar chutes, in Keira's rocket anyway... I've started reinforcing the holes on all my chutes using tape squares cut from duct tape with scissors... I like the duct tape because it's got the 'reinforcing strings' embedded in the tape, unlike masking tape which doesn't... I've had a couple hard deploys where the string tugged hard enough on the tape to wrinkle it, but it didn't tear anything... so I guess it's working...

Later and good luck and thanks for the info!
OL JR :)

I haven't bought a TLP kit in a long time, do they still come with mylar parachute kits? They were a bit of a pain to put together, but they worked well.

I haven't bought a TLP kit in a long time, do they still come with mylar parachute kits? They were a bit of a pain to put together, but they worked well.

Yes they still come with the mylar ,although I toss them into the parts bin and use good old nylon.Although ,they probably are more durable then plastic.

I must have a hundred Estes and TLP chutes that never get used.

Paul t

Is that the "stepped" down nuclear Bullpup?? That's one of my faves too... been wanting one of those since I saw the real deal in the USAF Museum in Dayton after I left NARAM in Cincinnati year before last...

The "Estes" Bullpup (non-nuclear IIRC) is okay, but the stepped one just looks SO much cooler...

View attachment 127438

That is the one.

TA

That is the one.

TA

Both of those kits can build into really nice missiles and very good scale representatives.

FWIW....I bought many of my kits from David at SIRIUS rocketry, he`s a great vendor and deserves our support.David pretty much has the entire TLP line in stock.

Paul t

Back