TLP Kits at Hobbylinc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I really like many of the TLP designs I don’t particularly like their execution as kits.
Thin- walled Estes style BT-80 tubes, especially long ones, are nothing but a crunch waiting to happen. Indeed, both of the TLP, BT-80 based kits, I ordered arrived with the tubes pre-crunched so I didn’t have to bother doing it myself.
Then there is the use of balsa wood for those very, very big fins used on many TLP rockets.
TLP should just accept the fact that they are producing Mid-Power kits and go with heavy walled BT-80 tubes and Bass wood fins include 29mm motor mounts with wood centering rings rather than the dual 24mm used on many of their kits.
Yes this would increase the price substantially; but I went ahead and replaced all that stuff on those two kits anyway, so what the heck.

Maybe SOME people should accept the fact that not EVERY "MPR" kit has to be built like a HPR "anti-tank round" and thus not require shoving the biggest motor that will fit into them to get them off the ground...

This is an old argument, but I just have to laugh at folks who constantly whine about the TLP kits being "cheap junk" and having to "replace everything with HPR-level-toughness stuff"...

If you want a high-end MPR/HPR kit, BUY a high-end MPR/HPR kit... and pay three times as much for it, AT LEAST...

"MPR" starts at D and ends at G... that's a pretty wide margin of what can be considered "MPR"... TLP kits are at the LOW end of what is considered "MPR", NOT the "high end"... Personally that's why I like them...

If you want a Cadillac, BUY a Cadillac... don't complain that you bought a cheap Chevy and then had to try to turn it into a Cadillac...

Just IMHO... Later! OL JR :)

I really like the TLP kits. I find it amazing how light they are. The light weight allows them to fly on smaller motors. For example the Nike-Ajax flies on only a cluster of three D12-3's. I still have my Nike-Ajax after 15 years although it has been repaired at least once. It still looks good and flies well.

I really like the TLP kits. I find it amazing how light they are. The light weight allows them to fly on smaller motors. For example the Nike-Ajax flies on only a cluster of three D12-3's. I still have my Nike-Ajax after 15 years although it has been repaired at least once. It still looks good and flies well.

Exactly my point... well said...

Later! OL JR :)

Well you know me and TLP kits :smile:

I treat them as low power ,even when I use AT S/U E15-30s.....which is not often (except for a couple of beaters) but find estes Ds do the job on most.....Low & Slow.

I also treat these kits as stepping stones to add as much detail as I can ,and sometimes ,none at all (those you never see LOL).They also teach important building skills that really come in handy for large scale projects ,this I can attest to.

Besides that ,we all know how cheap some people are ,so adding upgrades ,decals etc. would only cause more bit%$# ,as we all know.

Marc at Rocketarium has some really really nice scale kit offerings ,very worthy of checking out and very nice quality !

Viva la TLP kits :clap:

Happy building !

Paul T

Maybe SOME people should accept the fact that not EVERY "MPR" kit has to be built like a HPR "anti-tank round" and thus not require shoving the biggest motor that will fit into them to get them off the ground...

This is an old argument, but I just have to laugh at folks who constantly whine about the TLP kits being "cheap junk" and having to "replace everything with HPR-level-toughness stuff"...

If you want a high-end MPR/HPR kit, BUY a high-end MPR/HPR kit... and pay three times as much for it, AT LEAST...

"MPR" starts at D and ends at G... that's a pretty wide margin of what can be considered "MPR"... TLP kits are at the LOW end of what is considered "MPR", NOT the "high end"... Personally that's why I like them...

If you want a Cadillac, BUY a Cadillac... don't complain that you bought a cheap Chevy and then had to try to turn it into a Cadillac...

OUCH! :bangpan: be nice.

I like the TLP kits, in fact its nice to have some rockets that use the AT 24mm reloads and still look good doing it, plus I can launch them at my local field. Besides have you seen Sodmeisters TLP builds, now thems some sexy rockets! :)

I didn't know Hobbylink carried TLP kits nice to know, I guess I never bothered to look there for them. :confused2:

TA

OUCH! :bangpan: be nice.

I like the TLP kits, in fact its nice to have some rockets that use the AT 24mm reloads and still look good doing it, plus I can launch them at my local field. Besides have you seen Sodmeisters TLP builds, now thems some sexy rockets! :)

I didn't know Hobbylink carried TLP kits nice to know, I guess I never bothered to look there for them. :confused2:

TA

Not intending to stomp on anybody, but one of my pet peeves is the attitude that "if it's not built like a HPR anti-tank round, it's not a "real" rocket... its a toy"... That it total BS...

I don't have a problem with people that want to "beef up" a TLP kit and make it strong enough to take a BIG MPR motor... more power to them...

BUT, conversely, *I* personally am glad that they AREN'T built too heavy-- I'm not interested in buying big motors to get the same performance from a heavier rocket... although I'm sure some are... as is their prerogative...

At any rate, they are what they are... and personally I think that's fine. If someone else thinks they're too light for what they want to do, then either beef it up, or buy a similar kit from a "HPR" manufacturer that is more in line with the type of "bulletproof"construction that they prefer...

TLP kits are new to Hobbylinc, which is why I posted the links. I haven't seen them there before this week and the prices are nice.

So far, I've only built 2 kits. I like them a lot because they're really flexible kits; there's so much you can do with them. I thought they were pretty flimsy, but once they're built, even stock, they're lightweight and plenty strong for low power MPR motors. And there's plenty of room for customization, if that's your inclination. I think they're great kits with which to hone your modelling skills. What Sodmeister does with them makes me green with envy.

I didn't even know Hobbylinc sold TLP kits? This is news to me. I like the TLP kits...they look pretty cool and I might consider getting one or two?

A person that was banned a year ago use to end his statements with a question mark, like you just did. How very odd, hmmm...

I never said anything about “Cheap junk” I was only giving my opinion on some of their kits; that being that they are to fragile for real world use.
If the materials used in TLP kits can’t even survive being SHIPPED to you; how can one expect them to survive actual launchings and recoveries?
And where did I mention HPR? Did I say composite tubing or fiberglass? Or Plywood fins or G10?
And why the assumption that I intend to shove the largest motor possible into them? Build it as a 29mm capable and you have the option of using E and F 24mm composite motors and you don’t have to bother with clustering BP motors. Not to mention a single AP F reload is cheaper than 2 BP Es or Fs.
As for the price increasing; TLP could offer stouter tubes, motor mounts and Bass wood fin materiel with only a nominal increase in price. For instance buying the materials from Balsa machining service, and thus paying wholesale, I upgraded my “Perseus II” kit for only a bit over $11.00, hardly THREE TIMES AS MUCH. If those same parts had been purchased retail then the cost would have been less.
Now as far as the TLP kits based on BT-60 tubes; those I have no problem with building as is. IMO long Estes type BT-80 tubes are too prone to damage from even the most benign treatment to be included in my fleet.

I never said anything about “Cheap junk” I was only giving my opinion on some of their kits; that being that they are to fragile for real world use.
If the materials used in TLP kits can’t even survive being SHIPPED to you; how can one expect them to survive actual launchings and recoveries?
And where did I mention HPR? Did I say composite tubing or fiberglass? Or Plywood fins or G10?
And why the assumption that I intend to shove the largest motor possible into them? Build it as a 29mm capable and you have the option of using E and F 24mm composite motors and you don’t have to bother with clustering BP motors. Not to mention a single AP F reload is cheaper than 2 BP Es or Fs.
As for the price increasing; TLP could offer stouter tubes, motor mounts and Bass wood fin materiel with only a nominal increase in price. For instance buying the materials from Balsa machining service, and thus paying wholesale, I upgraded my “Perseus II” kit for only a bit over $11.00, hardly THREE TIMES AS MUCH. If those same parts had been purchased retail then the cost would have been less.
Now as far as the TLP kits based on BT-60 tubes; those I have no problem with building as is. IMO long Estes type BT-80 tubes are too prone to damage from even the most benign treatment to be included in my fleet.

I guess you're experience is markedly different from mine... BT-80 is one of my favorite size tubes for making rockets-- big without being "too big" and requiring larger motors than strictly necessary. Thicker wall tubes means heavier tubes, heavier rockets, needing bigger, higher thrust motors, meaning heavier motor mounts, centering rings, etc, meaning heavier motors bringing the CG aft, requiring noseweight, thus increasing motor size requirements or reducing performance for a given size motor, etc... it's a vicious circle...

I haven't had any problems with the BT-80 rockets I've flown being damaged... maybe I'm lucky or you're unlucky, or both...

Sorry if I was "projecting" on you-- I've seen a LOT of attitude given by people who buy a TLP kit who seem to read "Mid-Power" as "surviving near-mach flights out of sight on huge high thrust motors" and then are disappointed when they open the kit to find something more akin to an Estes kit than an Aerotech kit, LOC kit, Madcow kit, etc... these are NOT HPR kits and folks need to be aware of that... but then again, they're not PRICED like a HPR kit EITHER... You didn't directly specify G-10, fiberglass, etc, but when you say "beef up" the kit with thick wall tubes, etc. the correlation is there... maybe not all out, but it's there... Sorry if it seems I "jumped on you" about it, but I've read folks making comments like "TLP kits are junk because the parts are sorry" and stuff like that. I've not had a problem with the tubes-- that can be from ANY shipping problems, not just TLP or that particular size tube... I know folks were knocking the "extremely soft balsa" and I replaced the balsa on my TLP kit because I didn't think it was tough enough for the rocket... saved it for another project... (glider balsa perhaps as it's very lightweight). So maybe I took your complaints further than you intended them to go... If so I apologize...

I will agree that a single larger motor makes a LOT more sense than a pair of BP D's or E's... those BP D and E motors are getting pretty darn expensive... burning them two at a time in clusters gets pretty expensive pretty fast... Better with a pair of C's but not that much better... And if one goes with a reload composite, which IIRC a pair of D12's should be about the same performance as a single E24 (impulse wise-- how it's delivered and the weight difference also come into play, and also whatever is "closest" to an E24 would be a good substitute for a pair of D12's, and would certainly be cheaper). IMHO I've been staying away from the D cluster TLP kits due to the per-flight cost of motors... a single composite motor with similar performance WOULD be cheaper-- plus the weight savings from the simpler motor mount (single tube versus double tube), lighter motor casing (single casing versus two casings) and easier prep and ignition, would make a single larger motor preferable...

MY main gripe with TLP is that it WOULD be nice to be able to get the nosecone shape without having to graft on a paper cone to the top of the Super Big Bertha nosecone... but then again, that would raise prices, as it would require special cones be manufactured-- either special molds and a blow-molder making the cones in bulk (requiring a huge and expensive order from the supplier), resin casting of the cones, or making them from balsa, all of which is basically cost-prohibitive... Maybe at some point Estes will release a BT-80 version of a Harpoon or something with the correct shape nose made from a blow-molded plastic nosecone, and then we'll have another BT-80 plastic cone to choose from besides the PNC-80K and PNC-80BB... We can hope anyway... it'd be nice to have a drop-in replacement...

Not a big deal, but one of those 'Nice to haves'...

I have bought and flown one of their kits. I launched it 7 times. I had to fix a fin or two after 6 of those launches. It flew great but large 1/8" balsa fins don't survive contact with the ground really well. I like rockets that can be launched multiple times in a day without haveing to fix it between launches. I will never buy another one but that's just my opinion.

You will have to pry my TLP kits out of my cold dead hands! Love when they are on sale or you win a Feebay auction cheap! Still have not had to replace or even do a major repair on the lovely label papered balsa fins. So glad to see some TLP "haters" out again, I really miss the old days where the guys would bash TLP kits at the club, so bi or tri annual TLP bashing threads are all I have to get my TLP bashing fix.

MY main gripe with TLP is that it WOULD be nice to be able to get the nosecone shape without having to graft on a paper cone to the top of the Super Big Bertha nosecone... but then again, that would raise prices, as it would require special cones be manufactured-- either special molds and a blow-molder making the cones in bulk (requiring a huge and expensive order from the supplier), resin casting of the cones, or making them from balsa, all of which is basically cost-prohibitive... Maybe at some point Estes will release a BT-80 version of a Harpoon or something with the correct shape nose made from a blow-molded plastic nosecone, and then we'll have another BT-80 plastic cone to choose from besides the PNC-80K and PNC-80BB... We can hope anyway... it'd be nice to have a drop-in replacement...

Not a big deal, but one of those 'Nice to haves'...

Sounds like that might be a problem a 3D Printer could solve... :wink:

Sounds like that might be a problem a 3D Printer could solve... :wink:

Probably so... but *I* ain't buying one... (not until they come down in price by an order of magnitude).

Hey, if Dynetics plans to use 3D printing of molten metal powders to print parts for their F-1B engine, that's good enough for me!

BT-80 is one of my favorite size tubes for making rockets-- big without being "too big" and requiring larger motors than strictly necessary. Thicker wall tubes means heavier tubes, heavier rockets, needing bigger, higher thrust motors, meaning heavier motor mounts, centering rings, etc, meaning heavier motors bringing the CG aft, requiring noseweight, thus increasing motor size requirements or reducing performance for a given size motor, etc... it's a vicious circle...

I feel like BT-80 rockets with 24mm motor mounts is sort of a sweet spot in the field of rocketry, at least for me. You can get a pretty large scale rocket and fly it on relatively inexpensive motors for very satisfying flights.

Now, I've never built a heavier duty MPR to compare to, but I have a Leviathan kit in the queue that Estes sent me on a warrantee claim to replace an OOP Executioner kit that arrived with warped fins (thanks for the amazing customer service Estes!). The Leviathan is a completely different level of robustness with the heavier body tubes, ply centering rings and everything else. But it is also more than twice the weight of the Executioner. The two rockets are similar in scale, but the Executioner is recommended to fly on 24mm D and E black powder engines, while the Leviathan is recommended to fly on 29mm F and G composite engines. I'm looking forward to building and flying them both, but I think the Executioner is probably more practical and economical for me in a lot of ways.

I see a lot of similarity between rocketry and my other favorite hobby, backpacking. If you can lighten the things you put in your pack by using lighter weight and possibly less robust items, then you can also use a much lighter, less robust pack --- maybe your whole load will be 20-25 pounds --- and you can hike in lightweight shoes, and your whole experience will be less strenuous. As soon as you pick a heavier shelter option, or heavier sleep system, or heavier stove, etc., then you need the backpack itself to be heavier and more robust, and soon you are up to 35-40 pounds or more, and you need heavier boots, and the whole experience becomes more strenuous. There are tradeoffs on both sides of the equation, and you need to find your own sweet spot. I think the same is true for rocketry.

I have a 12 year old Osiris MPM that has flown on D12s to F39s. Stock. Beaten and chipped but still flying. And it is light. 6 or 7oz IIRC. No reinforcement.

Correction... I just found the attached picture from 1998 of it flying at Lucerne... so the Osiris MPM is 15 years old. Box stock. Last flown on a F39 in March 2013

And the picture in my signature is the 1.6 Hawk. The fins are papered. Nose weight adjusted accordingly. Otherwise stock.

Osiris-E15-121298-02.jpg

Last edited:
If you like missiles then TLP is a nice choice to have! Yeah, they have cheaper materials, but have you compared prices lately? Little Estes BT-50 kits are near $20 now!

If you want to strengthen them up a tad and eliminate just about all the gripes people have, then some .75 oz glass cloth and some finishing epoxy will do wonders. If you are buying a TLP kit you are gonna be doing some building anyways. Take an extra day and glass'em!

Jerome :)

If light weight is a feature, they could actually state that spec.

I'm not much into military models, but the Pershing looks pretty cool. However, with it being fatter at 3.75" it's a little power limited. 700-750' (assuming 8-10 oz. max.) isn't that bad though.

Just ordered the KRYPTON Kh-31A from Hobbylinc on the last day of the special. At a level 5, it should be a fun (but slow) build.

Take yer time. Build slow. Build light. Make a copy of all patterns and such and make sure the copies are 100%. That way you have spares. I can get you a rough CP if you need it.

Take yer time. Build slow. Build light. Make a copy of all patterns and such and make sure the copies are 100%. That way you have spares. I can get you a rough CP if you need it.

Those are my plans. Have you built this model? CP estimate would be great! Thanks!

Since I have returned to mod-rocs I have built 2 TLP kits and enjoyed them immensely. They are a bit of a challenge to build but that just helps hone the skills - especially after an extended lay-off. The light weight means less motor costs which equals more flights and smaller fields required for launching. Would I buy/build any more - you betcha! Keep up the good work TLP - your kits are just what this hobby needs.

Since I have returned to mod-rocs I have built 2 TLP kits and enjoyed them immensely. They are a bit of a challenge to build but that just helps hone the skills - especially after an extended lay-off. The light weight means less motor costs which equals more flights and smaller fields required for launching. Would I buy/build any more - you betcha! Keep up the good work TLP - your kits are just what this hobby needs.

Yah...what he said !!:cheers::handshake:

Paul t

+1...

Leave the fiberglass anti-tank rounds to others...

Back