Tiltmeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex_car763

Reaction score
Question for everyone out there...

I have been trying to visit Frank Hermes website to buy a Tiltmeter and it keeps going to a page saying the website has reached its bandwidth limit. Does anyone out there know if he is still producing/selling Tiltmeters and if so the best way to contact him?

Thanks

We have a tread about it few months ago, they don't produce the tiltometer anymore, you can use a Raven altimeter to achieve the same I think,

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-Tiltometer-discontinued&highlight=Tiltometer
Not exactly. The "time to apogee" method with the Raven requires much more effort up front. It also requires very accurate simulations and some trial & error.

Too bad he's shut down. That was a very handy gadget, and I wish I'd bought one at the time! Hopefully someone else will release a similar product, or include the functionality in a complete flight computer package...

i thought i saw tiltometer listed for sale at whats up hobbies. Might be worth a look. Franks tiltometer is a great idea and needs to continue to be produced.

Question for everyone out there...

I have been trying to visit Frank Hermes website to buy a Tiltmeter and it keeps going to a page saying the website has reached its bandwidth limit. Does anyone out there know if he is still producing/selling Tiltmeters and if so the best way to contact him?

Thanks

Website is open, and a few additional units are available.

https://www.rocketiltometer.com/

Jim

AltusMetrum has released their TeleMega, which incorporates this same functionality into an altimeter.

-Kevin

AltusMetrum has released their TeleMega, which incorporates this same functionality into an altimeter.

-Kevin

I was wondering about that Kevin. I believe they are supposed to be shipping the TeleMega this month. I can't remember, is the telemetry on 70cm and does
one need a ham license to run the TeleMega? The Tilt-O-Meter is I believe ground programmable and doesn't need a Tech license to operate. Price difference too. the Tiltometer is $250.00 and the TeleMega which I believe has a lot more options including GPS, telemetry is $350.00 going to $400.00 after the sale.
Get the Tiltometer while you can but I hope someone will come up with a self contained product that can do what the TM did that won't require a Ham license
in the future.

The reason the TM went out of production is Frank wrote an electronic sensor went out of production and he was able to find some limited supplies. He must have had some partial boards lying around he could have completed by the assembler.

Kurt KC9LDH
https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a/PARS&timerange=3600&tail=3600

I was wondering about that Kevin. I believe they are supposed to be shipping the TeleMega this month. I can't remember, is the telemetry on 70cm and does
one need a ham license to run the TeleMega? The Tilt-O-Meter is I believe ground programmable and doesn't need a Tech license to operate. Price difference too. the Tiltometer is $250.00 and the TeleMega which I believe has a lot more options including GPS, telemetry is $350.00 going to $400.00 after the sale.
Get the Tiltometer while you can but I hope someone will come up with a self contained product that can do what the TM did that won't require a Ham license
in the future.

The TeleMega is a six channel altimeter with integrated GPS telemetry, as well as a 3-axis accelerometer/magnetometer.

So, if you want to do a price comparison, you need to compare Raven + Tiltometer + GPS of some sort.

Yep, like the other TeleMetrum stuff, the TeleMega uses 70cm. A Ham license is no big deal to get - $14 and a few hours of your time.

-Kevin

The TeleMega is a six channel altimeter with integrated GPS telemetry, as well as a 3-axis accelerometer/magnetometer.

So, if you want to do a price comparison, you need to compare Raven + Tiltometer + GPS of some sort.

Yep, like the other TeleMetrum stuff, the TeleMega uses 70cm. A Ham license is no big deal to get - $14 and a few hours of your time.

-Kevin

Yeah,

I understand about the ease of licensing and the cost comparison but a device like the tilt-o-meter is an option for those who for whatever reason,
don't want to get a tech ticket. I'm excited about the more economical options for APRS tracking that are coming out. Using an Android device or free software
for packet decoding in any computer. I posted a tome about some of the programs out there for mapping.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?60681-Tracking-Info-Needed

Kurt KC9LDH

Yeah,

I understand about the ease of licensing and the cost comparison but a device like the tilt-o-meter is an option for those who for whatever reason,
don't want to get a tech ticket. I'm excited about the more economical options for APRS tracking that are coming out. Using an Android device or free software
for packet decoding in any computer. I posted a tome about some of the programs out there for mapping.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?60681-Tracking-Info-Needed

Kurt KC9LDH

On the other hand, you can use the TeleBT bluetooth dongle to connect Altus Metrum altimeters to Android. I'm not sure if you can also program and control the altimeters or not, but you can definitely receive telemetry.

I'm excited about the more economical options for APRS tracking that are coming out.
Just as an FYI, TeleMega (and when it's released TeleMetrum v2) support optional transmission of APRS packets. We can do this now where we couldn't before because we've moved to a newer radio chip.

Because APRS is so inefficient (both a weaker modulation and coding scheme than the native Altus Metrum approach, *and* a slower data rate... it takes nearly a second to send one APRS frame!), we don't turn it on by default and don't really recommend using it, but I'm sure some customers will be very excited about this new feature, so I figured I should mention it.

Also, you're not the first person to ask if we're considering something like TeleMega without the GPS and telemetry. The answer is yes, we're considering it, but probably not for at least a few months... too many other things already in the queue.

Back