Thrustline: New design >PANTHER!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My question relates to the canopy as well.

Will it come "pre-shaped" for those of us who are balsa-challenged?

Or will a block of balsa requiring this shaping be what's provided?

My 2 cents: I would pay the added cost to have it pre-shaped.

Pre-Shaped Canopy...Will it come pre-shaped. With this particular kit, I would have to say...maybe. Understand that each canopy takes some time (10 minutes)...multiply that times 6-8 kits, well, you see where I'm going. I would more than likely do it for TRF members at a minamal charge.

I would really like to be able to make a video of this and put it on a CD. I think once people get into carving, the sky is the limit. And it's not really carving. You simply cut away to a profile one way then the other. Then, round the edges. POOF! instant canopy.

As far TRF members are concerned, I will work with them on te canopy.:D

You simply cut away to a profile one way then the other. Then, round the edges. POOF! instant canopy.

I think it was Michelangelo when asked "How do you carve an elephant in marble?"

"Get a large piece of marble and remove anything that doesn't belong on an elephant!"

Sounds easy enough...hmmmm, I'm gonna need a really big piece of balsa!

sandman

Wouldn't it be easier to do the canopy as a vacuum formed plastic shell or as a resin cast solid? Not as artistic, but a bunch easier.

Of course if you wanna go hardcore there is always sterolithography...:)

Al...If I could get into semi mass-production of vacuam forms for cheap $$$ I would! Knowlwdge is power and right now...I'm at about 30 watts!!

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
JRS

Take a look here:

https://members.aol.com/GCGassaway/vacuform.htm

Based on the photos you should be able to crank out 4-6 cabopies at a crack from a 10x10 piece of styrene

Think you might make it to Sterling on the 21st?

I really want to see a Duster,

Al

Good article...I will give this (Mold) serious thought. As to Sterling...I am getting the itch. You can bet that I'll bring all of the new stuff...even if some are unpainted! In the mean time...here a couple of duster shots:

Duster Fin Detail

Ignition

JRS

It's not nice to tease me.:)

Unfortunately my wife tells me if any more rockets come home before the next launch, she is going to thin the herd by shooting them into the trees behind the house. Thinking quick, I told her I was going to start hiding her jewelry in the payload bays....:rolleyes:

John, any idea as to how soon we will be able to buy a Panther kit from Ya ??????

I've been looking at some of the "Sunward" designs .... I guess I'm getting the itch to build an "airplane" style rocket.

Originally posted by Aerobee300
John, any idea as to how soon we will be able to buy a Panther kit from Ya ??????

I've been looking at some of the "Sunward" designs .... I guess I'm getting the itch to build an "airplane" style rocket.

The Panther is in Beta Test status as we speak and should be done in about 1-2 weeks. It should be available within a week or two after that.

Other future kits and their status:

Smoke N' Fire - In Beta, should be done next week!!
Pumpkin Head- In Beta, should be done 2 weeks
Flux Probe- In Beta, 2 weeks
Hank- In Beta, on hold due to weather and paint. 2 weeks?
F19 Night Fighter- In Beta, 3 weeks
The Grump- In mock-up, instructions in progress, 4-4.5 weeks
Mike IX- Still in design, 6 weeks
Astro Mag- Still in design, 6 weeks
Sedna (Optima like design) Still in design, 6 weeks
Triple Treat (3 stage) Still in design, 6-7 weeks

Dang, I just got a credit card paid off and now this. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to learn to live with debt. :)

Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
Dang, I just got a credit card paid off and now this. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to learn to live with debt. :)

Just to push ya over the edge...this is a pic of the "Triple Treat"!

Triple Treat! :D

One of our very own TRF members is in the process of Beta testing it. FLight tests have not gone well so far. The very first launch resulted in a "Bob Hoover" type loop with the end result being a lawn dart. Fin alignment might have been the issue. I flew mine three times and although it was a little less than straight, i have had pretty good results.

At present I am enlarging the the aft "ventral" fins and sending him a rebuild kit. The test might take a little while till we straighten it out.

Back