This is what a $20 dollar bill gets you

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jus_rockets

Reaction score
Well I just picked this HP rocket for a crispy $20 dollar bill. Its a 3 inch diameter with a 38mm motor mount, over 7 feet tall. Also has a beautiful composite fin can , which I would like to know who makes them if anyone knows. It need some work but will be a great rocket when finished. First I took off the ugly launch lugs, then cut open the coupler to remove the eyebolt which was about to come loose. Will be replacing it with a forged eyebolt, adding some amce rail guides, and some nice paint. Here are some pics, P.S. he has another for sale its just smaller

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

Last edited:
Good deals are just falling from the trees today. I picked up LOC Expediter for ten bucks today, along with a half broken low power rocket thrown in for free. I have to build my own fins for the LOC, but how easy and cheap is that right?

Good deals are just falling from the trees today. I picked up LOC Expediter for ten bucks today, along with a half broken low power rocket thrown in for free. I have to build my own fins for the LOC, but how easy and cheap is that right?

Am I sleeping!? I CANNOT FIND DEALS LIKE YOU GUYS. :bang:

If it is three pounds, it's a good thing the rocket was cheap because you are gonna be spending big bucks on CTI reloads!

3 lbs can launch on an H or I. Not too expensive. I would say if cost is a concern, high power rocketry might be the wrong hobby. You can launch a 3 lb rocket on as little as impulse as 70.

This rocket really intrigues me. Good luck with it! :)

Here in NJ, I was fortunate to have the owner of my local hobby shop gave me several rockets someone dumped with him. One is I'd say a 3" diameter fiberglass body, oh maybe 6 feet long, and has that exact same fin can. There is no motor mount in mine, but maybe now from this thread I'll at least be able to ID the fin can. My goal is to source centering rings and a motor tube for it and later this year get it in the air on a 54mm motor.

Also in the bundle of goodies I got for free from the LHS, was another near minimum diameter 29mm fiberglass rocket, a bunch of other fiberglass, paper and Quantum tubing, etc... I felt like a kid on Christmas, loading up the back of the car with all the free loot! :cool:

Jim Z

From your description it sounds like an Acme 38 mm fin can, constructed thru the wall in a 3 inch tube, then laminated as shown. They are also available in 54 mm.

That appears to be similar to a Vertical Assault from Giant leap.

For me, it seems strange to have such a strong fincan and have the rest of the rocket built out of cardboard. It's not like this thing is going through some extreme stress with any 38mm motor... Sure looks pretty though.

Alex

For me, it seems strange to have such a strong fincan and have the rest of the rocket built out of cardboard. It's not like this thing is going through some extreme stress with any 38mm motor... Sure looks pretty though.

That is true. I would have put CF on the whole rocket.

From your description it sounds like an Acme 38 mm fin can, constructed thru the wall in a 3 inch tube, then laminated as shown. They are also available in 54 mm.

Yep. That's my guess.

If it is three pounds, it's a good thing the rocket was cheap because you are gonna be spending big bucks on CTI reloads!

I think im going to stick to aerotech now since I get my reloads pretty cheap. I already have a couple H's and I's to fly it on

This rocket really intrigues me. Good luck with it! :)

Here in NJ, I was fortunate to have the owner of my local hobby shop gave me several rockets someone dumped with him. One is I'd say a 3" diameter fiberglass body, oh maybe 6 feet long, and has that exact same fin can. There is no motor mount in mine, but maybe now from this thread I'll at least be able to ID the fin can. My goal is to source centering rings and a motor tube for it and later this year get it in the air on a 54mm motor.

Also in the bundle of goodies I got for free from the LHS, was another near minimum diameter 29mm fiberglass rocket, a bunch of other fiberglass, paper and Quantum tubing, etc... I felt like a kid on Christmas, loading up the back of the car with all the free loot! :cool:

Jim Z

Wow you got a better deal then me, I would of acted the same way

I already stated that its not a 38mm and I know they make 54mm, this is a 3 inch fin can

That appears to be similar to a Vertical Assault from Giant leap.

That is exactly what I thought when I saw it

I remember there was a 75mm can but it was not GLR... trying to remember who made it...

Thats what im trying to find out too

If the fin can slides over the 3" tubing much like an ACME fincan, then you are looking at an early Performance Rocketry fin can. I had a 54mm that looked very similar that I purchased from Ken Allen some years ago. It was a defective product (many air bubbles), but it was also a bare hybrid carbon-kevlar fabric, but blue and black.

Actually, I think this is a fincan made by a guy that went by "Doc Von Karman". He was from out west. He produced that style fincan in a variety of hybrid fabric colors.

Then it look like a steal for $20. I would add CF to the rest of the rocket. That is just my 2c.

Then it look like a steal for $20. I would add CF to the rest of the rocket. That is just my 2c.

I think Juan should just put some rail buttons on it, maybe a paint job and fly it til it fails.
CW, where did you get that comment from THarrison? Don't remember reading that anywhere, and it's not in this thread as far as I can see....

I deleted my original comment, because I found a picture of the old DVK fincan and it's more swept. Either way, nice fincan.

It was deleted. I am curious. Tap on the fin can and see if it is solid. It is possible that the build just put CF over an Acme fin can.

Tap on the fin can and see if it is solid. It is possible that the build just put CF over an Acme fin can.

Considering ACME hasn't made a 3" fin can, this is unlikely. There appears to be a lip at the fin can to tube intersection, leading me to believe this is a Performance fin can from their early years.

Considering ACME hasn't made a 3" fin can, this is unlikely. There appears to be a lip at the fin can to tube intersection, leading me to believe this is a Performance fin can from their early years.

Dan that is true, but look at their rtf line. One of the rockets uses a 54mm fincan inside a 3 inch body. It could be that type of design fiberglassed.

Latest posts

Back