The Worst Way to Start Christmas Break

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mannyskid

Reaction score
So, I was on my way home from school for christmas break last night when an unfortunate thing happened.

I was driving down Highway 92 near Princeton, IL on my way to pick up my launch trailer from the Wildman household, when suddenly I hit a BIG patch of ice going 60 mph. I swerved out of control, and by that time it was too late. I spun around, flew off the road into an embankment, this flipped my car over twice and then landed upside down. The inside of the car was like a blender, glass CD's and spare change flying about. I had to kick my way out because the door was partially buried. Luckily, two men in a car stopped to help me out and call an ambulance. If they wouldn't have been there, I would have been stranded in the middle of nowhere in the cold with no way to call since I couldn't find my cell phone.

My Jeep is completely trashed, it's a shame I really loved that car. Other than some cuts on my head, some bruises and a minor concussion, I came out pretty uninjured.

Honestly, I'm really lucky that I even survived the crash. My seatbelt for sure saved my life. So I just want to spread the word, that everyone out there should be extra careful out on the road this winter.

Manny

IMG_1076.JPG

IMG_1077.JPG

First off, glad to hear your Alive and gonna' be OK! Second, I did that same thing to my Jeep Grand Cherokee in 2006, but at a much lower Speed. A Seatbelt saved my Life in that instance. When I came to, I was upside down, but for some weird reason tried to start the Vehicle once before I realized what had happened. Similarly, I had a Car behind me that stopped to help me out.
Glad your OK, that's what matters most, and your Insurance will take care of you, so keep your Chin up and count your Blessings.

Last edited:
Holy crap dude! I'm glad you are ok!

On the upside you don't have to worry about that wheel falling off again ;)

Glad to hear you're okay!
I remember last year, driving in the winter the car behind us fishtailed, swerved and smashed into the guardrail going a solid 65 mph.

Thank God it wasn't worse, and thank god you were wearing your seat belt.

All the best,
Nate

Glad to hear that you are safe!
I just had to scrape all of the ice of our driveway... and there was a lot of it.

Glad to hear that the car got the worst of it!

Have a good break,
Ben

It a good thing your fine Manny . Cars can be replaced , but the meatball needs to be at thunderstruck.

Glad your ok!:)

Enjoy your Christmas break (and launch a rocket or two (or do some building if it's too cold:wink:)

Glad to hear that you are alright, Manny! During my college days I ended up in the ditches many times between the Chicago area and Champaign-Urbana. Fortunately, there was always a tow truck or policeman's car there to help me within 10 minutes. One time the patrolman gave me advice suggesting that I get a running start on the shoulder and slowly angle the car back on to the road. He turned on his flashing lights to cover me and sure enough I was able to get back on the highway headed home. I only lost about 20 minutes and didn't need to pay a tow. Over all I was usually fortunate over the years. I did have a $2,000 bill here in Utah one winter going off the road. It is always a bad feeling being in an uncontrolled slide regardless of how much car damage there is.

Last edited:
Terrible to hear of your accident. Glad to hear you survived.

Thank god you're alright. What a lucky guy, That jeep can be replaced it's just a thing.Can you imagine how you'd feel if someone else got hurt. You know I've got a pretty good Idea how you'd feel.

Thing is, mid-afternoon, I got on TRF and discovered I had a PM from Manny. He wanted two things: How much the tracker cost, and what my address was. First thing on his mind was to worry about that. I'm betting he's already had the same conversation with Gus, regarding the case.

This whole event speaks a lot to his character, and his parents should take pride in the fact that they raised him right.

-Kevin

It sure stinks when you're in college and the vehicle gets trashed! I feel your pain.

Fortunately, you go to Iowa State and live in a nice Illinois town. Obviously, God HAD to look after YOU and instead trashed the car.

It sure stinks when you're in college and the vehicle gets trashed! I feel your pain.

Fortunately, you go to Iowa State and live in a nice Illinois town. Obviously, God HAD to look after YOU and instead trashed the car.

First off, Glad your OK!!Sounds like you had the right copilot that day!--H

Manny....We're glad you're OK. Hope the rest of your Christmas break goes much better. Merry Christmas. Greg, Jill & Kristin Olson

Definitely the biggest scare i've had in a long time...When the phone the rang at 2pm on Saturday i had just pulled into my driveway, finishing up another 16 hour night in my Semi-Truck. On top of that i drive within 30 miles of where this happened EVERY night.:surprised:
It looks like all the safety equipment worked and, the Jeepster did what it was designed too do.....too protect you when things go wrong.
Above all i'm glad you had your belt on.

The first 24 hours after are the most critical....Make sure nothing starts too swell that shouldn't be, (and, IF it does GET yourself back to an Emergency Room "NOW".) Take some pain killers to easy the stress on the body and, mind and, most of all relax.

For all the $#!% i've given you over the years, you know i consider you too be like a son.....Thank gosh your alive, little buddy.

Last edited:
Thank gosh your alive, little buddy.

Indeed.

Glad to hear you are OK, Manny.

Enjoy the holidays and do not worry about the car. All cars eventually end up in a junkyard. The only important thing is that you are alive and with your family.

Merry Christmas :tree:

Glad to hear you are okay Manny! As for the Jeep-that's a good used car in these parts! I imagine the driver's side could use a new seat cover-the rest will buff right out. Happy Holidays, bro'!

Glad your okay Manny, your very lucky to walk out with just a couple bruises and scratches. Does your insurance cover this type of accident?

You know manny we give you a hard time but, I sure am glad you had that seatbelt on! Glad your Ok. Enjoy your Christmas break. Maybe Santa will bring you a new truck :).

Dennis

I guess now we know why they call you Manny Skid.

Glad to hear you didn't get badly hurt. You were very lucky.

Glad you're okay, Manny. Winter driving really sucks.

The only fun skids are motors!

Alex

Glad you are okay. A similar accident during my early college years is the reason I now live in desert Arizona.

Glad to here you had your seatbelt on and as you noted it sounds like that good decision, minimized your injuries. As a parent one of my biggest fears is that my 2 older boys will stop wearing there seat belts.

Latest posts

Back