The Weather Rock...1st weather station

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sometime ago we talked here about on site weather stations and data collection for use in flight logs and for competitions. At Naram-46 G Gassway and company used a thermal seeking recording device that was quit a leap forward in this endeavor.

I'd like to regress to the days of Old...back before all this ..Heck back before rocketry i'm thinkin...just to add a little humor to the season.
Here's a view of what we lovingly refer to in the Scouts as the Weather Rock. Used extensively during BSA council wide Camporees, this one was honored to be placed in use at the 75 anniversary of Scouts National Jamboree some years ago.
This particular "rock" is interesting all by itself, however the device as a whole should speak to the seriousness of it's development and use:D

Hey George...Look how far we've come:D

I have seen something similar, but I don't remember any swinging involved. Yours is obviously a revised modle :)

Back during the cold war, the Soviets had a weather rock that was even bigger, which they claimed was twice as accurate. And even though their's wasn't made public until 5 years later, they said we stole the technology from them.

:D

Originally posted by vjp
Back during the cold war, the Soviets had a weather rock that was even bigger, which they claimed was twice as accurate. And even though their's wasn't made public until 5 years later, they said we stole the technology from them.

:D

Ah Ha! Sounds like another Soviet Loadstone to me:D:D
a better look at "the Rock"

Hanging from our deck. It said at the bottom:

"If it's missing - you've been ripped off!"

I'm not sure if it was from Russia or not :rolleyes:

I think if some of the weathermen had a "Weather Rock" like this they have more accurate forecasts!!!!!!

This goes along with the line from "Good Morning, Vietnam!" Roosevelt E. Roosevelt's weather report: "You got a window? OPEN IT!"

:D WW

Back