The good old days.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, they don't.

Sure 10mm motors are cool, but note that the recent World Championships held here in the US were contested using only Estes and Aerotech motors. Will that carry over to the next Championships? The jury is still out on that, but the competitors seemed to appreciate the simplicity of using the same motors that were available to every other competitor.
That is good clarifying point. I meant for US contestants flying FAI contests outside the US, particularly Europe. I have zero expectation that the "jury" will mandate the use of only Estes and AT motors at all FAI contests.

The drawing-based instructions allow more sales into more geographies than text instructions. While some of us bemoan the passage of the traditional builder's instructions, they allow Estes to sell more products into more countries, which ideally makes the company healthier. And, as we all should recognize, a healthy Estes means a healthy hobby.

During his Quest days Bill Stine shared that instruction art, translation, and printing was one of the most expensive elements of kit production.
I know why. The question was what I missed.

I have a build pile to go through, not to mention the four DBRM rocket kits I recently acquired. When I go through the 2023 catalog, I sometimes remember the feeling I got when I was a kid looking though the catalog thinking about the possibilities. Now that I have available income, I'm living the possibilities. Half of the Estes catalog is for beginners. The PSII rockets are exciting, but outside of my available income interest. So far, I have five conversion rockets from the DBRM kits.

Although I was disappointed with Estes' presentation, I eagerly anticipate the manufacturer's forum each year.

Just the existence of applications like RockSim and OpenRocket make these the good old days. Not to mention the vast array of electronics available today.
I could argue that Rocksim, OR, and even the internet hastened the end of the good old days. There is now less incentive to experiment, build and fly, and travel to rocket events to observe and learn things. But since I am lazy, perhaps chatGTP could argue the point?

I could argue that Rocksim, OR, and even the internet hastened the end of the good old days. There is now less incentive to experiment, build and fly, and travel to rocket events to observe and learn things. But since I am lazy, perhaps chatGTP could argue the point?
That is... one way of looking at it.

OpenRocket enabled me to start visualizing and nailing down ideas that had been formlessly jangling about in my brain for a long time. Almost nothing I have built would have ever been possible without it.

Your mileage, obviously, may vary.

That is... one way of looking at it.

OpenRocket enabled me to start visualizing and nailing down ideas that had been formlessly jangling about in my brain for a long time. Almost nothing I have built would have ever been possible without it.

Your mileage, obviously, may vary.

I'm with Neil on this one. Open Rocket has allowed me to design rockets that I never would have been able to design before.

And motor selection now.... with all the mid power composites.... mind blown :haironfire:

Back