Thales Starstreak build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been trying to test fire a C6-5 with the Estes Pro-Sonic ignitors I planned to use. No joy after two attempts. Problem seems to be that the pyro compound is crumbling away too easily when trying to plug it in place. Going to try hardening it with nail polish and a little dip of 4F BP - first time I've tried this.

Sonic igniters from Estes stink. They have essentially been discontinued,

Reasonably successful day with the Starstreak at the QRS club launch, Cedar Grove, Queensland. Sorry, no video as yet, hopefully the club guys got it for me.

Flew the Bus with an Aerotech DMS H550ST and with one active Hitile (Dart) which had a C6-5 18mm motor in it. Borrowed a better ignitor from another club member, so ditched the Estes pro-Sonic 2 ignitors. GLOW was 3.77kg (8.31lbs).

Launch was good, not much weather-cocking, and the Apogee Simple Timer successfully ignited the Dart at about 350ft, which separated beautifully to cheers from the flight line! RRC3 deployed at apogee as programmed.

RRC3 download gave Bus data as 663ft max altitude, max velocity 231ft/sec (253kph, 157mph) and a descent rate under the BAMA 5ft Aerospherical chute of 24ft/sec (7.3m/sec).

Damage report
  • Couldn't find the Dart as it flew on to about 1000ft, popped its chute and drifted in the wind about 1.5kms. We saw approx where it landed, but it was just too small to find in the 3ft high grass and brush. Need to go down to a B6 motor and streamer next time.
  • Exhaust scorch markings to the transition. Will clean it up an consider blast plates.
Dart exhaust damage 13Feb22.jpg

See below . . .

Dave F.

Wow, those are old instructions. I followed them both back in the day and they work. There are some recipes for pyrogen I think are still floating around the net.
If one is in a state where they can get fourth of July sparklers, the ones with a wire. I've cracked and ground the material off of them very very carefully and that makes a decent dip. One must remember that a pyrogen in powder form is very dangerous. Any mix anyone does they have to be cognizant of the fact if a spark or fire gets anywhere near a powder mix, it will flash violently. On the other hand, it only takes a small amount of pyrogen to make a ton of igniters. Slow mixing of powders and or gentle crushing with a mortar and pestle will suffice. I wear kevlar gloves/safety glasses but have never had to depend upon them. That said, the risk of a small amount going off I believe is manageable. Doing the task outdoors, out in the open is even a better strategy. Once the slurry is mixed, it is a lot safer and I used to dip out in the garage. I haven't made any in a long time as I made a lot and still have a supply. Be safe. Kurt

After a year in build - Maiden flight of the Thales Starstreak at today’s QRS club launch at Cedar Grove, QLD! Finally!

View attachment 493817View attachment 493816

Lots of interest from fellow club members and positive comments. I might even be in the Dec2021 QRS launch report and video!

Nice flying conditions today. Broken cloud base at about 4000ft; 29degress C; 60% humidity (felt worse); 7kph winds, soft/wet grassy field after mucho rain in last 2 weeks.

Launch was initially held up due to a low level light aircraft ignoring the NOTAM. Was very tempting though…!

The Starstreak flew to approx. 930ft on an Aerotech DMS H550ST. Nice fast burning motor with peak thrust of 150lbs (667N) so, at 7.2lbs (3.2kg) GLOW it accelerated well. No accurate flight data obtained as both Micropeak altimeter’s readings were too noisy and probably not enough stable air pressure/venting.
View attachment 493818

I fitted two e-matches to the Apogee Simple Timer in the AV Bay and set this to trigger at 2.0secs after launch detection. Connected to a 3S LiPo battery, both e-matches appear to have ignited in-flight successfully.

The other flight computer, an RRC3, failed on pre-flight set-up last night, giving a POST error code of 04 (barometer issue) which is a pain as this was it’s very first use since purchase. Warranty discussion to be had next.

I fitted one test Dart (painted yellow) to the carrier for structural integrity type tests. I’ve noted a few improvement points to work through for the proper Hitiles/Darts:
  • Both rail buttons on the test Dart sheared off at their body interface during descent or deployment . However, the Dart was successfully held by its Kevlar safety tether. Note - This test dart was standard BT50 and not F/glass wrapped like the proper ones.
  • Dart nose cone separated sometime in flight, most likely on descent/deploy. It zippered the top 5cm of the body tube, including through the lightly F/Glassed canard tip-2-tip. Will apply an anti-zipper fix using Loctite Kintsuglue flexible putty around the shock chord.
  • Dart nose cone separated and I didn't find it, so I need to NOT use the standard nosecone loop as clearly the 38g of nose weight has too much momentum for that attachment method.
Deployment was very late – I used motor eject with 2g of 4F BP. I find the delays on Aerotech DMS motors consistently hard to get drilled to a reasonable time (this was supposed to be 6s but seems to have been about 10s!)

The BAMA Recovery Systems 5ft Aero-spherical chute was beautiful and did a great job of slowing the landing vertical speed. A crowd pleaser too!

Other learning points:
  • Need to use a longer launch rail next time to get more stability off the rail. Even with a very punchy H550ST it seemed to nose over a bit as soon as it left the rail.
  • Dual deploy technology (get the RRC3 replaced) is needed to get the nose deployment resolved and avoid motor eject timing issues.
Next test flight likely to be with one active proper Dart for air-starting at about 300ft!

This is a shweet project. Glad the first flight was mostly successful.

Started building a replacement Dart. Don't intend for it to be a spinning canards version as clearances are not adequate on my Dart Carrier currently.
  • Cannibalised the yellow test Dart I had from the maiden flight for the canards plus the motor mount tube which I'd made from a plastic tube of glitter and an Estes 18mm retainer.
  • I had two leftover aft fins from the original construction phase so I'll make do with these. Made two new fins using the templates I'd kept. Bevelled the fwd and aft fin edges and then strengthened them by soaking in CA.
  • Spare nose cone now has 48gms of ballast in it (combined weight of the lead shot and the epoxy). Curing in a cup of water to manage the heat.
  • Need to F/Glass the BT50 body tube next.

New Dart pic1.jpg

Replacement Dart build well progressed. Have surprised myself about how quick it has gone, which is good as it had to fit in in around other DIY duties at home. Reflects well on the learnings and experience of the original build stages, as well as the terrible weather here in SE QLD meaning nothing else can be done but stay at home!
  • BT50 tube given two wraps of 98gsm fibreglass, imperfections filled with wood filler and sanded.
  • Motor mount and retainer CA'd into position.
  • Fin slots cut out with the Dremel and all four fins epoxied into place AND all eight fin fillets added over the last two days.
  • Canards epoxied in place, plus two new rail guides made up from the curtain track fittings and also epoxied in place today.
  • Vent holes added. Getting close to painting it in readiness for the 13Mar deadline.
New Dart pic2.jpg

Finished the new/replacement Dart - base coat of matt black and then two medium coats of White Knight's "Super Chrome".

Also made four small chutes to stop the Darts from drifting far and bring them down quicker - 20cm hexagonal chutes from rip-stop nylon. OR simulation says they'll come in at 9m/sec (29ft/sec) but better a little risk of damage than a very high risk of losing all three at the next launch, hopefully next Sunday.

New Dart pic3.jpg

Prepping the Starstreak for tomorrows flight attempt to air-start all 3 Darts.
Simple Timer has been re-set to initiate the Dart ignitors at 1.5secs after launch detection as opposed to the 2.0secs last flight, which should be about 275ft off the pad.

Flying it again on a DMS H550ST with the RRC3 deploying at apogee, motor back-up, and the JLCR set to 500ft.
GLOW will be 4.1kg (9lbs). Two Darts have B6-4 motors and the third has a C6-3.

Using new ignitors for 18mm motors that I got from our suppliers fresh delivery at the last launch. They test fire very energetically!
Also using some of those little black rubber grips from cloth covid face masks as my ignitor wire grommets into the holes in the transition. Also using short off-cuts of insulation from the ignitors to secure the ignitor tips into the motor nozzles. Fingers crossed for tomorrow! 🤞

Prep for First 3 Dart Flight 13Mar22 pic2.jpg Prep for First 3 Dart Flight 13Mar22 pic3.jpg
Prep for First 3 Dart Flight 13Mar22 pic1.jpg

Successful mid-air launch of all 3 Darts 😁 !!!!!!!

Launched off the long (2.5m) rail, which helped give it an almost perfect vertical ascent. All Darts ignited together and performed a starburst of exhaust trails to much acclaim from the crowd! Bus apogee was 625feet (190m) and max velocity 246ft/sec (75m/sec).

All 3 Darts came down nice and quick on their little 20cm homemade chutes, landing in a nice grouping only about 50m apart.
Bit of a hot landing for the Bus as the chute tangled and only opened fully at about 10feet. 1 fin broken off, and damage to the forward outer ring. :(

Hopefully better launch photos and video to come from the club guys.

Pre-flight Photo 13Mar22.jpg On the pad 13Mar22.jpg Darts Seperating pic1.jpg Bus Landing Damage pic1.jpg Bus Landing Damage pic2.jpg

Successful mid-air launch of all 3 Darts 😁 !!!!!!!

Launched off the long (2.5m) rail, which helped give it an almost perfect vertical ascent. All Darts ignited together and performed a starburst of exhaust trails to much acclaim from the crowd! Bus apogee was 625feet (190m) and max velocity 246ft/sec (75m/sec).

All 3 Darts came down nice and quick on their little 20cm homemade chutes, landing in a nice grouping only about 50m apart.
Bit of a hot landing for the Bus as the chute tangled and only opened fully at about 10feet. 1 fin broken off, and damage to the forward outer ring. :(

Hopefully better launch photos and video to come from the club guys.
@BrendanH69 fantastic work! Hoping I’ll pull together my attempt over the next couple months.

Back