Terrier Malemute 1/5.2 scale build and info

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles_McG

Ciderwright
Reaction score
Rather than to stuff info into one of my other builds, or derail one of @Ez2cDave 's data threads, I'll start a new one for my current project.

Mind you - I'm not a crazy detail scale person. And I'm not a 'looks good at the M pad' modeler, either. I'm my own version of a happy medium.

At 1/5.2, a Malemute sounding rocket looks suspiciously like a Leviathan with smaller fins. My Nike Apache is a PSII Nike Smoke and a scratch built Apache. My Nike Tomahawk-12 uses the same booster with a modified Ventris. Building a scratch booster and modifying a Leviathan just seems to be the next step.

@PeterAlway covered the Terrier Malemute in the 2001 Supplement. Hi-Vis Dave has passed along other documents, including the academic paper covering the development of the Malemute motor. Those are great for the sustainer. I see references that the 'Improved Malemute' motor is supposed to be about 2" longer IRL. And that it's also supposed to be a Patriot missile motor. I've also seen references to NASA flights that seem to refer to the Improved Malemute with the same Thiokol motor designation as the original. Peter's write up says it's for the first flight. The biggest changes I see in later flight photos are the orange/white stripe Improved motor, a much longer payload, and often a conical nosecone instead of a 3:1 ogive.

Well, a longer payload suits - scale would be 7.75" and given the shoulders for an avbay and a big Daddy/Leviathan nosecone, there's not much room for a chute in there. And I might make more than one payload section and print me up another nosecone, just to get more rockets out of one build. I'm not going to try to model a specific flight.

Then my attention turned to the Terrier booster. At 1/5.2, my 3.44" made wrapped body tube is a nice match. And I can print up an interstage with one of @vcp 's SCAD generators and some tinkercad tinkering. But -which- fins. All the later pics show different fins than Peter, and a couple early pics, do.

I'm still collecting Terrier info, but I did find this high res photo from a Terrier Orion flight with is filling in gaps. I rotated upside down so I could read the printing on it.

25842986272_526487979f_o.jpg

Handily, there is a manufacturer's label on the fin. This is a 4.8 sq ft version - I think the original was 2.6.

I'm also working on the side label:
Terrier Label.jpg

So far, I think I've got everything but one word.

NAVAL ORDNANCE STATION
INDIAN HEAD MARYLAND 11/82
BOOSTER GUIDED MISSILE MARK 12 MOD 1 S/N 9164/C-5738 R
??ORD DWG NO 173858 AA
PROPELLENT GRAIN GUIDED MISSILE MARK 73 MOD 0 LOT -35
IGNITER BOOSTER GUIDED MISSILE MARK 200 MOD 0
FIRING TEMPERATURE LIMITS 20 F TO 110F
STORAGE TEMPERATURE LIMITS 0 F TO 120 F
SEE PROPULSION UNIT DATA SHEET FOR EXPIRATION DATE OF PROPELLANTS

NAVORD
also this... but I doubt it would offer enough to be worth the $25.

NAVAL ORDNANCE STATION
NAVORD DWG NO 173858 AA
PROPELLANT GRAIN GUIDED MISSILE MARK 73 MOD 0 LOT -35
FIRING TEMPERATURE LIMITS 20° F TO 110° F
STORAGE TEMPERATURE LIMITS 0° F TO 120° F

Alt0126 for °

props for reading the U/L corner - looks like the label is part peeled off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the corrections!

A label counts as 'easy to scale' detail in my book.

I will admit - I'm planning on switching mine to Forest Park, Illinois, since it's closer to home :)

Charles,

Prepare to receive a Dropbox invitation . . .

Dave F.

That’s a great photo collection, Dave.

It has me rethinking the interstage. I have modeled the dark circles as cylindrical wells in the transition. I was going to paint them black, so the looked like dark circles from a distance.

But these photos show them as disks with little clips, like they are blow out panels.

I keep reading that the Terrier interstage is built to facilitate drag separation. That’s why I modeled sunken wells - I figure that would increase surface area/drag. Now I wonder how it really works.

Well, I haven’t printed it yet, so there’s lots of time to make changes.

Speaking of which, my Malemute fincan print failed 36 hours into a 56 hour job. I resliced at the break and am printing the remainder with the intention of gluing the parts together. But now the second part has lifted at the tips. If I can’t manage the warp, I guess I’ll reprint the whole shebang.

I'm still collecting Terrier info, but I did find this high res photo from a Terrier Orion flight with is filling in gaps. I rotated upside down so I could read the printing on it.

View attachment 398405

Handily, there is a manufacturer's label on the fin. This is a 4.8 sq ft version - I think the original was 2.6.

I'm also working on the side label:
View attachment 398407

So far, I think I've got everything but one word.

NAVAL ORDNANCE STATION
??ORD DWG NO 173858 AA
PROPELLENT GRAIN GUIDED MISSILE MARK 73 MOD 0 LOT -35
FIRING TEMPERATURE LIMITS 20 F TO 110F
STORAGE TEMPERATURE LIMITS 0 F TO 120 F

A little off topic but in the 50-70s my dad helped build the Terrier and Standard missiles.
I wonder if any he did are still in inventory or already 'used up'

Last edited:
I still don’t know which bit is the drag plate. I do see the de-spin unit in the upper pic.

I’m wondering if the black disks are blown out with a charge so the airstream can get in and push more.

Other articles point out the clamping system that the Terrier interstage uses that is supposed to make a more rigid stack than other systems. It’s visible in some of the photos also.

Printing progress. First up, single layer sleeves that I hope will make finishing the Terrier body tube easier.
IMG_1369.jpg

And the Terrier interstage. This is printed in Overture clear PETG, which has worked really well for me. As such, it’s not very easy to see the surface details. Paint will help. The BT80 coupler to the sustainer is in place. I plan on adding a 5/8” band of BT80 with some surface details.

IMG_1375.jpg

I finished up the assembly of the 3” 11° TAC nosecone for the Improved Malemute. Spiralized outer contour single layer print in PLA for the cone. More standard base. Solid printed PETG tip. Foam filled, sculpted and welded with 3D Gloop.

IMG_1399.jpg
IMG_1400.jpg
IMG_1401.jpg
IMG_1402.jpg

I want some surface detail for the long payload. Also, it looks like a pretty standard payload diameter is 17”. That a touch bigger than the motor, so instead of making individual parts, I’m printing sections as an outer contour. Probably simple centering rings underneath.

Here’s the model RCS section. Oh, that it were real :). You can see that I raised an access panel - though it would be more apparent.
IMG_1403.jpg

Also today, printed the nozzle mounting bolt coves and test fit them.

Yes, I figured out later that I had designed bolt/nut details and the real one is bolt heads. Oops.

IMG_1404.jpg
IMG_1405.jpg

Charles,

I found a "stock photo", and a couple of others, that clearly show the "tunnels" as being on both sides.

The LAST photo is impressive, especially when viewed at full-size . . . ( Link below )

https://api.army.mil/e2/c/images/2012/09/13/263765/original.jpg

Dave F.

patriot-missile-aboard-the-uss-intrepid-A836J4.jpg

84681304_00e1b52df4_b- ADJ.jpg

2352209569_c013fdd207_o.jpg

MW-GQ747_raythe_ZG_20180926172011.jpg

original.jpg

Back