Terrier Malemute 1/5.2 scale build and info

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started gluing in the Terrier motor mount today.

Printed centering rings, which I usually glue back to back to thicken. Channels for wire chases for possible future staging.

I printed a piece to anchor carbon fiber slats that go through the fins. One centering ring is above it, another will go below after everything is glued in place.

IMG_1426.jpg

And in situ, with the slats in place.

IMG_1427.jpg

My experiments at foam filling annular spaces didn’t turn out so well. I decided to support the payload sleeves with balsa strips.

IMG_1448.jpg
IMG_1449.jpg

I finally decided to go with the Improved Malemute, rather then the first flight version Peter Alway documented. The difference is wiring chases down the sides of the motor. After a dive into Patriot details and finding some appropriate balsa in my stash, here's where we stand. My version will turn out a touch short - but I'm not entering it into competition.

Scale would be 1/8 balsa - which I shaped by sanding and tried to warp with ammonia on a PVC mandrel.
chases wrapped.jpg
malemute chases.jpg

Well, I didn't get much warp, so I had to fall back on more sanding. Here's the end result.
malemute to date 20200121.jpg

Scale would be 1/8 balsa - which I shaped by sanding and tried to warp with ammonia on a PVC mandrel.

Well, I didn't get much warp, so I had to fall back on more sanding. Here's the end result.

Charles,

I had a thought . . . What about warping the sheet of Balsa, BEFORE cutting out the strips for the Conduits ? There would be a lot more "leverage" to induce the Warp.

Dave F.

Were I to do it again, I’d do 2x 1/16” layers per channel. Shape, then glue stacked to thickness.

I’ve shaped blades for helicopter recovery. I think a thinner material would have worked better.

So I’ve been painting up a storm. It’s not the best weather, and the gloss white has been a little runny as a result. So not my best work - but it’s good at feet. Just not inches.

The Improved Malemute motor need a second orange pass before I pull the tape on the white chases.

Getting close to decal time.

IMG_1462.jpg

Decals on. The last external touch would be a black stripe of t leading edge of the Malemute fins - the real ones have an ablative coating.
I’m still thinking about it.

Terrier Booster.
IMG_1480.jpg

Fin detail. This is actually the worst one. The angle setting fixture got messed up on this one.

IMG_1481.jpg

Terrier info sticker. With some liberties taken, like switching to a closer ordnance station. And nitrocellulose to APCP with a reasonable mass.

IMG_1482.jpg

Improved Malemute/Patriot motor.
IMG_1483.jpg

And the other side. The flight number containers my NAR number. The real 46 series is at about 30.

IMG_1484.jpg

I used the details of the Tomahawk despin module (from a Ute Tomahawk data bundle) to make graphics to go on the switch band. Above that is my model NASA payload, RCS module, telemetry unit, and 11° total angle nosecone.

IMG_1485.jpg

And stacked.

IMG_1487.jpg

By request, some details.
This flight simmed at a stability of 4:1 dCpg:diameter or 15% of length. The winds were about 5mph. I was aiming for a boost of 15G, and got it.

The flight computer was an eggtimer Proton running 1.03G (to help gather data on new AltAccel code).

The settings were
Baro LDA 200'
Accel LDA 0.5s @ 3G
Channel 1 Airstart: Burnout 1 + 0.1sec. (A small backup separation charge)
Channel 3 Airstart: Burnout 1 + 0.5sec. Sustainer iginition
Channel 4 Drogue at apogee
Channel 6 Main at 400'

Velocity limit set to 150fps @ Timer.

I'll have some Proton V Sim graphs coming.

By request, some details.
This flight simmed at a stability of 4:1 dCpg:diameter or 15% of length. The winds were about 5mph. I was aiming for a boost of 15G, and got it.

The flight computer was an eggtimer Proton running 1.03G (to help gather data on new AltAccel code).

The settings were
Baro LDA 200'
Accel LDA 0.5s @ 3G
Channel 1 Airstart: Burnout 1 + 0.1sec. (A small backup separation charge)
Channel 3 Airstart: Burnout 1 + 0.5sec. Sustainer iginition
Channel 4 Drogue at apogee
Channel 6 Main at 400'

Velocity limit set to 150fps @ Timer.

I'll have some Proton V Sim graphs coming.
Thank you Charles! I have a Proton and an upcoming multistage build project.

I spent some time tuning the sim and have a really good match to the data. I added 10% mass to the sustainer. Probably reasonable after the dog barf. And I added a ‘drag plate’ near the tail of the rocket: a zero length transition with matching fore and aft diameters. It doesn’t change the Cp. at least the ‘static’ one. The sustainer body is 3”. A drag plate with a diameter of 3.6”, along with the 130g mass bump matches beautifully. Graphs tonight.

Dave,

Are your drawings available. I can scan them at a supper hi-resolution or create 3D models using SolidWorks based off your drawings. Thinking of creating the nuclear version. I have two 3D printers and can create pretty good mold or individual pieces.

Thanks,

Keith

I spent some time tuning the sim and have a really good match to the data. I added 10% mass to the sustainer. Probably reasonable after the dog barf. And I added a ‘drag plate’ near the tail of the rocket: a zero length transition with matching fore and aft diameters. It doesn’t change the Cp. at least the ‘static’ one. The sustainer body is 3”. A drag plate with a diameter of 3.6”, along with the 130g mass bump matches beautifully. Graphs tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_2701.jpeg
    IMG_2701.jpeg
    524.4 KB · Views: 0
@Jim Burgess - looking good. What tubing did you base your Terrier on? And it looks like you went with a simple tapered trapezoid, rather than a more complicated Terrier fin?

Back