Terrible names (a scratch building challenge)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

DrewW

Reaction score
Maybe a set of twin rockets
Yggdrasil’s Delight
Yggdrasil’s Bane

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
IlIllIlIl1
This Name Intentionally Left Blank
Unpronounceable
[ garbled muttering ]

Tobor

Get your peanuts....
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Frag'n-Stein - 8"+ dia. rocket with an "N" motor

Fragmented Reality

Off With Her Head!

S.R.D.H "Scrap Rolls Down Hill"

Filibuster

Antares JS

Reaction score
Haha, how bout this name:
Size matters?
The question mark is definitely part of the name
A guy at Midwest Power one year built a rocket with that name as his level 3 cert attempt. Sadly, it came in ballistic from (supposedly) 15,000 feet. I think it was twenty feet long and pretty skinny. Either 4" or 6" diameter, flying on an N motor.

Aero B

Push the button!
Reaction score
Flight Restricted
Dinna’ Move
Dud
Attempt I II III IV V
No Fly List
Flammable
Strike Anywhere
Fallout
Great Pretender
Duckn Cover
Migraine
Sky Dodger

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A guy at Midwest Power one year built a rocket with that name as his level 3 cert attempt. Sadly, it came in ballistic from (supposedly) 15,000 feet. I think it was twenty feet long and pretty skinny. Either 4" or 6" diameter, flying on an N motor.
It may have started 20 feet long and 6 inches in diameter.

if your flight description is right, it ended up 6 inches long and 20 feet in diameter.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
Mega Der Pancake Max
Big Bloopa
Alpha Gedda Shoot
Dig Badly

PatD

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Roller Coaster!

(but my favorite so far is the "Impaler" - just about the most innapropriate one yet)
OOHH, we could just name it Vlad. Subtle, not ostentatious and pointy like certain teeth. 😁

PatD

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
reminds me of a story I heard from an old engineer of the Super High Intensity Transport
We had Special High Intensity Training that we would give to the troops when they screwed up.

boatgeek

Reaction score
We had Special High Intensity Training that we would give to the troops when they screwed up.
Here is Seattle, the bright bulbs behind the streetcar into the South Lake Union neighborhood decided to name it a trolley without checking the acronym. They published the name and plans, got made fun of, and quickly changed it to the “South Lake Union Streetcar”. A decade or so later, a local store still sells “Ride the SLUT” T shirts.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here is Seattle, the bright bulbs behind the streetcar into the South Lake Union neighborhood decided to name it a trolley without checking the acronym. They published the name and plans, got made fun of, and quickly changed it to the “South Lake Union Streetcar”. A decade or so later, a local store still sells “Ride the SLUT” T shirts.
Air Force used to have two pilots training tracks. Academy grads could get waivers for uncorrected vision in two flavors, 20/50 or better and 20/100 to just over 20/50 (both treks required CORRECTED vision to be 20/20.). The first qualification was called TARF (Trainer, Attack, Recon, Fighter), the second TTB (Transport, Tanker,Bomber.)

I thought the first one might be better called FART qualified.

we did actually have a mandatory annual graded military college class (i kid you not), Professional Military Studies 101, 201, 301, and 401.........