Terrible names (a scratch building challenge)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 130 pound Romanian Air Force Hawk is close.. his name is “Dracula..”

A rocket name that alludes to it impaling you = terrible name for a rocket

A rocket name that eludes to it sucking your blood = parasite

Last edited:
My favorite bad name can't even be read by the announcer.
DEEP-SHT

Love that old build, maybe we should release a military kit.
View attachment 450165

alternatively Deep Kimchi!

of course, there are always the old standbyes

Hindenberg
Titanic
Lusitania
Andrea Doria
Exxon Valdez
Poseidon Adventure
Black Pearl
.......not sure if anyone suggested Chernobyl
Baby Seal Killer probably wouldn’t go over well either.

A rocket called Torchwood, presumably after the secret British organization in the Doctor Who spinoff and prior episodes. Said rocket to be decorated with your plasma core decals.

A rocket called Torchwood, presumably after the secret British organization in the Doctor Who spinoff and prior episodes. Said rocket to be decorated with your plasma core decals.
OK I'm gonna pass on that, because I don't know anything about Torchwood, don't know why it's a terrible rocket name, and don't know what it has to do with plasma.

Other than that... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I.... am not sure I understand the request.

my apologies I think I mentally jumped about eight steps without showing anyone else where I was going.

torchwood popped into my head earlier as a reference to something Scottish in a previous post, thanks BBC. Torchwood (or the wood being set alight) seemed a funny and terrible name for a rocket. I had vague memories of the show runner (see below) having a tower themed HQ. between the tower as a vague rocket analog and the name. I was thinking rocket in the vain of doctor who related things and was thinking thisrocket would definitely need some plasma. If a rocket needs plasma I think we have a guy for that. And voila we have arrived. Again my apologies for the cold start there.

and now I apologize to everyone else for having to read along with my sometimes hectic lines of thinking.

1613013262431.jpeg

my apologies I think I mentally jumped about eight steps without showing anyone else where I was going...
Well, it kind of works. I mean, if a rocket's name leaves every attendee at the launch completely perplexed, isn't that a terrible name? :dontknow:

• Plausible Deniability
  • Will Do Sketchy Things
Dirty Speeds Dug Dirt Deep

Loved Torchwood! Captain Jack Hardon and his interiped Welsh cohort.
Harkness. (Or was that deliberate?)

Dead Weight
Dude, Seriously?
Sure, Why Not?
C'mon Man
Last Rights
Pooper Scooper

I didn't make it up of course, but one of the best bad names for a rocket ever was Downright Ignorant.

And sadly a name that used to be a pretty cool name but should now be verboten would be Corona.

Andrew

Tammy Faye Bakker
FUBAR
Tool Time
Shouldn't it be Tammy Faye Booster?
And if we are allowed to use acronyms, boy are there some great ones out there. Take your FUBAR and add BUNDY to make FUBARBUNDY

F'ed Up Beyond All Recognition But Unfortunately Not Dead Yet

Andrew

3" min.dia.
"Mr. UGLY"
Look great going up, but mach 3, made it UGLY. 50% paint striped.

Some late additions:

In drogue we trust
In drag we thrust
In drogue will thrust
Drag Queen
CATO-nator
Shovel companion
6 feet under

Cheers!

Back