TCC Helm 1/16/16

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woferry

Reaction score
Nobody else has put this on the board yet, so I figured I may as well.

Anybody going? Sounds like they have the trailer sorted out so it should be a go. The forecast looks okay so far, SARG has re-scheduled to the same day but their lower waiver doesn't work for me. LUNAR is flying at Moffett that day as well, lots of choices in Northern/Central CA, but TCC is the only one if you plan to go over 2500'! :) Back on the first Mike @ BAR said he'd be at the TCC launch, I hope that's still the case.

I'm working on repairing my Binder Excel this weekend so I can fly it next weekend, take another shot at the L2 Cert flight. Though I think I heard that Bruce is taking a break for a while and somebody else (Gary) will be the Prefect? Not sure if that means I'll need to take the test again or not, I'll have to study up just in case. Think I'll go with the J250SK this time, I want to do my cert on skidmark but after using both the J360SK and J135SK-LB at OS2015 I'm starting to run out of options or else it will have to be a repeat. :p

Only other thing I have ready to fly is my 38mm MD, had a motor loaded-up from the December Snow Ranch launch that was going to be my first shot at breaking a mile, but a bad AT ignitor kept it from flying that event. So time to give that flight another shot.

Have a bunch of stuff on the build pile at this point, having picked up a Madcow 4" Nike Smoke, RW Osprey 75 and Wildman Punisher 4 over the holiday sales. But the last one I plan to be my L3 so I need to get the L2 taken care of first and I'm not in a big rush on that one, will probably need a Black Rock waiver to fly it anyhow. And the Osprey 75 I plan to build with my dad who won't be on the left coast until mid-February. So the Nike Smoke is first up on the to-do list. My dad also has a 2" Frenzy XL to build (I got it from a raffle at OS2015). And I have my Bumbl-B to repair, have all of the pieces but that one has to be painted before it will fly again. And then there's the Li'l Red Express Rocket which I haven't touched yet, but I did get a really awesome custom sticker from Mark @ Stickershock, so I need to get cracking on that one also so it can fly by DA2016's night launch. Lots to do this winter/spring!

Hey Chris, not sure if you'll see this or not, especially curious if you plan to go. I have my stuff to pick up from you so if you're going maybe we can take care of it then? If I don't hear from you I'll ping you in the next few days over email.

Last edited:
I'll be there. Trying to fly my Darkstar on a K1440WT after the low clouds at snow ranch killed any hope of 9k+ flights.

Shouldn't have to take the test again, they keep it on file. I took my test from James in September and then flew my cert at October Skies with Bruce.

Yes! Hit that K1440 and hit it hard!

I will be there in the morning. I probably need to leave early, but I can help anyone looking for NAR L1 or L2 sign off before I leave. Tripoli, you need the prefect.

Yes first launch of the year will be fun. Hopeful no fog or else if there is it will burn off early.
If you guys ever need anything just come over and ask we're glad to help.
See you all out at the farm.

Isn't there some way to rename the thread title here? I just realized I got the year wrong.. :facepalm:

Nevermind, figured it out.

Last edited:
Actually things look slightly better this morning. Calling for "a few showers later in the day", and 0.02" precip. Not sure how bad the cloud cover might be, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

:( indeed. Well, if I win the lottery tonight I'll get them to change their minds. :) Step two is constructing a large enough dome to do indoor HPR flights. Just need that Truman Show dome, heck if they can do indoor skiing in the desert I should be able to fly rockets in the rain! :)

Back