TARC 2006 Rules Published

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trip Barber

Reaction score
The rules for TARC 2006 have been posted in the "files" section of the NAR TARC Yahoo group, and on the event website www.rocketcontest.org. The FAQ's on the website have also been updated. Key points:

1. Goal is a combination of altitude (800 ft) and duration (45 sec)
2. 2 stages are not required
3. Payload is 1 egg, not 2
4. Entry fee is $110 and the team limit is 750. Teams will buy their
required altimeter (Perfectflite ALT 15K) separately, directly from the manufacturer for a special TARC team-only price of $55, if they do not have this altimeter from TARC 2004.

Registration opens on September 7, and next year's flyoff is on May 20, 2006. I look forward to working with all of you (and many new rocketeers) in the event.

Trip Barber
NAR 4322
NAR TARC Manager

Trip,
Why is the bar being lowered for both altitude and payload? I've seen local qualifying rounds at our Tripoli launches, and have been consistently impressed with the engineering these kids have put into their work. Is NAR just looking to broaden the base for more entrants or something?

The actual payload is a recording altimeter and an egg. I don't think the bar got lowered that much if any! The lower altitude would allow teams to use more readliy available motors without clustering or staging, igniting multiple motors is probably a source for many past failures.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

I think the rules reflect the "iffy" flights of some multi stage clusters by some of the competitors.

It looks just as hard to fit into those slots (800' and 45 sec) than it was in the last few competitions.

Originally posted by Chilly
Trip,
Why is the bar being lowered for both altitude and payload?

I don't think the bar has been lowered - they have a target altitude AND duration this year not just one.

Back